New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #21  
I didn't word my post very well. The consensus I have gotten from the limited number of reviews I read indicate that the battery lasts very well, around an hour or so.

I didn't agree with what the clerk said and feel that they have not done any research on the product they are selling. Also, there wasn't any indication (nor did the sales staff know) that there was a free battery through Dewalt. I'm not blaming the sales staff directly, but our location in general has done a poor job rolling out this new product.
Sorry, I wasn't being negative about your post. I've got 3 Stihl gas trimmers, FS250, FS90, FS85, and a small corded electric. The gassers are great, but overkill for trimming around the lawn. The corded electric is nice, BUT corded.

I've got 4 of the Dewalt 20V Max batteries plus a bunch of tools for them and see myself buying more batteries. I've spent the last week draining the batteries and like that I can get more than a 1/2 hour, maybe an hour, of work out of their 2amp battery using the sawzall cutting bamboo. I have not worn out a 5 amp battery in 1 session yet.

For the 20V string trimmer priced at $199 w/ a 5amp battery & charger at CPO I figure I'm paying about $120 for the tool and $60 for the battery.

That seems to be a fair price for a trimmer since I want another battery anyways.

/edit - and when I wrote
but overkill for trimming around the lawn.
I meant my 1/4 acre lawns (I've got 4). To me a large "lawn" is a wast of time and energy.

Last edited:
   / New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #23  
I highly recommend the 40v Kobalt units. I have their chain saw and walk behind mower. I'd get their trimmer, too, but we already have a B&D (who own Dewalt) one. The Kobalt would last much longer. Yesterday, I was trimming in the back and had to go back for another battery.

Never used the Kobalt chain saw long enough to run its battery down yet, and it's only a 2Ah battery. I run them down regularly (have both a 4Ah and 2Ah for the mower) on the mower though, but they last quite a while.

Ralph

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #24  
Just bought the 40 volt 4Ah Dewalt trimmer today. Used it for about 45 min intermittently to trim around trees, bullet paver edging etc. Cuts fast and didn't bog down, cleaned grass growth from and edged the bullet pavers. Chopped through sucker outgrowths from basswood and apple trees. Did not exhaust the battery reserve.

The unit is well balanced once you've adjusted the handle for your height, not heavy. Much easier to use and quieter compared to the Stihl FS85T it replaces (engine was inceasingly hard to start, overheats, shuts down). Smooth electric motor over trimmer head means minimal vibration. First time I've trimmed in years that my hands and wrists weren't in pain from trimming. It's also a convenient time saver to just pull the battery from the charger, plug in and trim.
The only real negative is the lack of an adequately sized grass shield, wear your personal protective devices to protect from flying debris.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #25  
I've got two of the Ryobi 18+ trimmers, bought one and was given one, but what they heck.

I initially thought that it would be good for just trimming around the deck and flower beds in the back yard, but since I've been using it, the gas trimmer stays down at the farm. I don't know how many hours it will run on one battery because I'm known to take a lot of liquid refreshment breaks, but I can trim the whole yard, front and back and the little status LED still stays in middle range.

Now these are light duty units, the mono line is a real small diameter, so it won't cut much besides grass, but I was highly impressed with the performance, especially when I rated it against one of the older Black and Decker cordless trimmers.

I know,, I have never run the battery down with the little Ryobi 18V trimmer... I wear out before it does!:eek:

Oh, and the other benefit... the wife will actually use it to trim... BONUS!:dance1:

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #26  
my wife just bought a kobalt battery string trimer and she likes it. I may use it some but I am firm believer in roundup! We have a large yard in the country and I am fond of brown grass. But I see many good pts of a battery trimer. No cord, No maintaince of gas engine, etc.

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer #27  
I highly recommend the 40v Kobalt units. I have their chain saw and walk behind mower. I'd get their trimmer, too, but we already have a B&D (who own Dewalt) one. The Kobalt would last much longer. Yesterday, I was trimming in the back and had to go back for another battery.

Never used the Kobalt chain saw long enough to run its battery down yet, and it's only a 2Ah battery. I run them down regularly (have both a 4Ah and 2Ah for the mower) on the mower though, but they last quite a while.

Ralph

Ralph,
I took your advise and bought the 40v Kobalt trimmer. As advertised it charges in an hour and so far the batteries last for about an hour of trimming. I have three acres and over the years have planted about 300 trees, have three buildings and a 600' driveway. It takes a lot of trimming and one charged battery doesn't do it, but two will. I had also bought their blower, which uses the same battery so I'm good to go with either task. The blower works fine for clearing off the driveway, deck and walkways. I'll be able to judge that tool better when the leaves fall, but until then I'm happy with both purchases.
Thanks,
Don

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer
Update: I bought the Dewalt with 6ah battery. I also bought the leaf blower with 4ah battery. Came with a free 4ah battery. I'm very happy with my purchase so far. Highly recommended...

/ New Dewalt Cordless String Trimmer
After having these for 4 months now I thought I should give an update...

I am very glad I bought these tools. I still haven't ran a battery all the way down, but I don't have a whole lot to take care of.

They recently released a 40V chainsaw and I am tempted to buy one. I already own a Stihl 039 and Stihl MS261C-M (both are beasts). I think a battery powered saw would be excellent to use in-tree, on a ladder, or in a man-lift. I just happen to have a lot of that type of work that needs to be done!! Christmas is right around the corner...