New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #21  
I just spent four arms and three legs on a new truck, THEN I have to go cure it's problems??

NO thankyou!

SR

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #22  
I just spent four arms and three legs on a new truck, THEN I have to go cure it's problems??

NO thankyou!

SR

You mean in reference to adding an auxiliary tank? They’re very common for equipment operators or long distance towing/drivers.

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #23  
My new truck came with a 36 gallon tank, no problem curing needed... AND I'm getting over 20mpg consistently with it's 355hp V8...

SR

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #24  
My 2 current GM trucks, a 2006 5.3L 1500 4x4 shortbed and a 2008 5.3L Tahoe, as well as my previously owned 07 GMC Duramax never lived up to the fuel mileage claims. Not even close.
Neither of the gassers got more than 12.5 with NO trailer towing at all, ever. The Duramax towed a typical 12k small equipment trailer and L48 Kubota occasionally and never did better than 14 mpg.
I didn’t but any of them for fuel economy, but they never got more than 14, unless you got on a flat section of the turnpike, got up to 60 and turned on the cruise control for 100 miles. You might eek out 15-16 with no trailer. The Tahoe might get 17-18 no trailer, flat, cruise on a long trip.
But the 5.3L Tahoe has been a long lasting family vehicle and I still own it.

Last edited:
   / New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #25  
The newer the pu, the better the fuel millage. There's NO WAY I could be happy with my new pu only getting 15 or 16 mpg, even pulling my trailer!! I would declare it a turd and say exactly, that right here...

SR

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #26  
The newer the pu, the better the fuel millage. There's NO WAY I could be happy with my new pu only getting 15 or 16 mpg, even pulling my trailer!! I would declare it a turd and say exactly, that right here...

SR

Yep, I got 2 of those gas powered terds to polish. :laughing: They get lousy fuel mileage. Diesels much better.

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #27  
We do long term rentals on our trucks at work. We swap out every 12k miles. My current and last trucks were 5 gen Ram Limiteds. I average about 15-16 US mpg. The tank is small too. Have to stop every 2-2.5 hours when towing my wife痴 horse trailer.

I would get as high as 20 mpg in the Ford ecoboost. The Ford with the little diesel would get 26 mpg on highway trips. It towed the trailer the best, but was a dog in town. Turbo lag was brutal.

I like the ergonomics of the Dodge over the Ford although the fords were cheaper to operate. Ford no longer offers a leveling suspension as well.

36 gallon tank in my 2016 F150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost and no need for an auxilliary tank with the mileage it gets - my bladder needs relief before the truck needs fueled.
P1130522r.jpg

Note that in the photo above I've already driven 332 miles and the gauge is still above half a tank...with nearly 500 miles to go to empty.

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #28  
Although fuel is an expense of doing business for me, I’m happy to say fuel has been very affordable for the last 2+ years and looks to be staying that way or dropping for a while. It is nice to get good fuel mileage, but I put quite a few other needs ahead of fuel economy. My wife and I are looking to replace the venerable Tahoe with either a Mercedes 350, Volvo XC90 or BMX X5. All 3 get different fuel mileage by a few MPG, but when you drive only 15000 miles/yr, it’s very little difference in cost. Those eco boost engines are nice, but all the savings could be wiped out plus a lot more if you lose a turbo out of warranty over a less efficient non turbo engine.

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #29  
All you fellows with your long distance trucks and large fuel tanks. Like deserteagle71 - my bladder needs attention long before I need to refuel. Just me & Brownie - lookin' for a bush. Besides - when I'm out and about - a whole lot of the gas stations are just a pump and credit card slot. The "restroom" is the next bush.

Sawyer Rob - and the sales person ( a VERY cute blonde, in my case ) doesn't even flinch when they give you the price. But, I figured, what the H*LL - I can't take it with me. Either spend it now or give it to my son when I depart. And the 2500 Power Wagon( Taco Wagon ) is SURE a whole lot of fun vehicle.

/ New Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi mileage #30  
My new truck came with a 36 gallon tank, no problem curing needed... AND I'm getting over 20mpg consistently with it's 355hp V8...

SR

Having an auxiliary tank may be a problem for YOU, but it can be an asset for others.