New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #11  
just had to change a converter on one of my 2010 hino trucks(4k)some of these trucks have had 3 sets of injectors before they even hit 200k. it seems that when they changed the diesel back in 2009 (sulfer) that the new mix of fuel plugs injectors causing the converter to run very hot Hino has extended there injector wrnty from 250k to 300k for this reason it seems that the new emis sytems starting in 2011 where you have another small tank that you have to fill every 6 to 7k miles isn't having that problem but has a ton of new problems you just cant win as far as trucks go I wont be buying anything newer than a 07 for as long as I can get away with it and as far as tractors go if it has emis I would stay away also im sure in time they will get these things figured out but until then I cant afford to be there test dummy

You can that CA for all of this mess. CARB and then later the EPA kept changing the rules and even committed fraud with the science that set the standards. Over estimated the emissions by 400% and made up the number of lives that these emissions would save. Once in place though, there is no going back.

If you don't believe me, search for CARB and diesel fraud the person who committed the fraud is Hien T. Tran.

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #12  
I believe you

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #13  
And the people who set these standards are rich so when it cost us 3.00 to buy a single apple at the store it wont matter to them

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #14  
And the people who set these standards are rich so when it cost us 3.00 to buy a single apple at the store it wont matter to them

Or just plain nuts and think we need to go back to cave living. The same people who pushed this want electric cars and wind turbines. The problem is these are worse for the environment from the stand point they use rare earth elements that the mining puts more pollution and uses more resources than they could ever save. Logic, reason, and conservation don't matter to these people, it's all about their belief system. It made no difference to them fraud was committed, jobs lost, all that mattered was they got there way.

In CA, NY among others these older diesels in trucking and construction can not be grandfathered. They have to be taken out of service. Again the impact of scraping and replacing all of that was never looked at.

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #15  
There is Tier I,II, III and IV emissions data online. The standards vary with the year, application and HP.
The EPA and CAFE are filled with new world order idealists who believe in mostly eliminating technology and transportation. Reducing world population to 1/100 of current levels and let the land to back to nature. One of the social engineering plans is instead of facing the backlash of instant regulation. To gradually introduce their agenda over several generations. Seems to be working. Soon there will be too many rules to do anything.

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #16  
A bunch of the issues with the VW HPFPs were caused by pepole putting gas in the diesel tanks. So much so that VW has redesigned the nozzle so that only diesel pumps will fit in there.

All of the DPF and other emissions stuff has dropped the mileage though. Alot of that has to do with the increased weight of the cars too. The older diesel VWs that got 50 mpg+ didn't have tons of airbags and such.

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #17  
All of the DPF and other emissions stuff has dropped the mileage though. Alot of that has to do with the increased weight of the cars too. The older diesel VWs that got 50 mpg+ didn't have tons of airbags and such.
I'll have to disagree. Dad's '02 Jetta TDI got 45-55MPG in mixed rural and highway driving (depending on how fast you wanted to go and the terrain).

Aaron Z

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #18  
I'll have to disagree. Dad's '02 Jetta TDI got 45-55MPG in mixed rural and highway driving (depending on how fast you wanted to go and the terrain).

Aaron Z

Yeah but it also wasn't choked down with useless emissions junk. And, prior to 2007, ran on better fuel.

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #19  
I think your mixing up a few things.

Kubota is using EGR only, not SCR with DEF fluid. No tractors under about 90 HP are using SCR at this time that I know of. The soot filter can plug, and that is common to both the SCR and the EGR system, not the converter. I have not heard of plugging on a SCR system though yet. Both system use high pressure common rail injection which helps some with fuel usage.

EGR they use exhaust that has been cooled and feed back into the intake to lower temps in the engine so it produces less NOx, just like on a car. It does increase fuel usage and increases soot which uses fuel to be burned up in the filter. It actually has it's own diesel injector that during regeneration puts fuel in the exhaust to burn it off. System does have issues with plugging, engine wear, and higher fuel usage.

SCR they use a catalytic converter in addition to a soot filter. With this system they can run much higher cylinder temps which gives better fuel usage and lower soot. This also gives them better fuel usage than EGR and in many cases than older engines because of the HPCR injection. This system generates much less soot than the EGR, so fuel usage in the soot filter is very low.
The DEF fluid is not combustible, it is mostly water. It is a chemical reaction that breaks they NOx down into CO2 and water vapor.[/QUOTE
]

Chemically, the NOX itself (oxides of Nitrogen caused by exposing molecular Nitrogen to Oxygen in the combustion chamber) is not converted to CO2 and water, but reduced back to molecular Nitrogen...along with some CO2 and water. It's the oxygenated (NOX) form of Nitrogen that is the culprit, therefore reducing it chemically back to molecular Nitrogen will undue the harm.

/ New environmental requirements for Diesel Engines #20  
I think your mixing up a few things.

Kubota is using EGR only, not SCR with DEF fluid. No tractors under about 90 HP are using SCR at this time that I know of. The soot filter can plug, and that is common to both the SCR and the EGR system, not the converter. I have not heard of plugging on a SCR system though yet. Both system use high pressure common rail injection which helps some with fuel usage.

EGR they use exhaust that has been cooled and feed back into the intake to lower temps in the engine so it produces less NOx, just like on a car. It does increase fuel usage and increases soot which uses fuel to be burned up in the filter. It actually has it's own diesel injector that during regeneration puts fuel in the exhaust to burn it off. System does have issues with plugging, engine wear, and higher fuel usage.

SCR they use a catalytic converter in addition to a soot filter. With this system they can run much higher cylinder temps which gives better fuel usage and lower soot. This also gives them better fuel usage than EGR and in many cases than older engines because of the HPCR injection. This system generates much less soot than the EGR, so fuel usage in the soot filter is very low. ]

Chemically, the NOX itself (oxides of Nitrogen caused by exposing molecular Nitrogen to Oxygen in the combustion chamber) is not converted to CO2 and water, but reduced back to molecular Nitrogen...along with some CO2 and water. It's the oxygenated (NOX) form of Nitrogen that is the culprit, therefore reducing it chemically back to molecular Nitrogen will undue the harm.

You are correct, I forgot the nitrogen.