New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS?

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #11  
A friend of mine who happens to be a diesel mechanic told me that it would be interesting when the diesel fuel rules take effect. In my old Dodge 12V pickup, the P7100 fuel pump circulates engine oil through the pump for lubrication. The newer 24V (24 valve) Cummins pumps use a VP44 pump that acquires much of it's lubrication from the sulfer in the diesel fuel. He told me that the same is true of the newer Ford and Chevrolet fuel pumps by Standyne and Bosch etc. I'm not a diesel mechanic. However, if you take away a lubricating property that a fuel pump is going to rely on, doesn't that sound like trouble?? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #12  
Hi,

Those new pumps are built to handle Low sulphur diesel. We have had it up here since 1994. But if in doubt add a GOOD Diesel fuel conditioner!! NOT METHYL HYDRATE, it must be a lubricated conditioner!! Like Stanadyne or a good equivelent!!

Take care

Will

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #13  
I'm not positive about the Dodges but I know it is exactly the opposite in Ford. Our older pre-powerstoke ford diesels the fuel lubricates the pump. In the Ford powerstrokes they don't even have an injector pump and haven't had one since 93 and 94. The Isuzu from Chevy I'm 99% sure doesn't have an injector pump either. I think your friend gave you some bad information.

It's the same situation on tractors. The new JD tractors are already setup to run on low sulphur fuels are compliant for the 2006 fuel changes and up through the 2012 emission changes. I'm not sure about other tractors.

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #14  
I'm missing something here. Without an injection pump, how do you get a diesel to run? As I stated before, I am not a diesel mechanic, but I've never heard of a carb on a diesel engine. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #15  
It's called unit injectors. The role of pressurizing fuel is done in the injector itself, not in a high-pressure injection pump.

It's not a new concept. Cummins and Detroit did this sixty years ago.

edit: There have been carbs on some diesel engines, too. Think IHC.

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #16  
cp is right. It's done with a high pressurized system that feeds the injectors. In the powerstroke it's called a HEUI system. It's a little different with other applications. The injectors are lubricated from the rail system with oil.

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #17  
Hey, told ya that I'm not a ASE diesel mechanic. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif All I know is that he (the real diesel mechanic) told me that injection systems that are not oil lubricated and depend on the diesel fuel for lubrication will require addatives. That would be a bummer; to have to add some addative each time you fuel up!

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #18  
I'm really surprised that he would be that misinformed about diesels. He must only work on the older ones because the newer ones are not a concern at all. Like I said they don't even have an injector pump to lubricate.

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #19  
Low sulfur diesel has been in Europe for a long time too, guess where Bosch is located?

Some older diesel components use sulfur for lube but I have been reading studies where a 1-5% mix of biodiesel improves the low sulfur diesel lubricity.

I don't think it will make a huge difference. Emissions from diesels will have to improve or governing bodies will continue to be biased against them. The UK has embraced the tech due to lower CO2 and better economy, they get all the good tech first over there. Variable vane turbos, common rail, ultra-fine injector nozzles etc

/ New Low Sulfer Diesel in 2006 -PROBLEMS? #20  
<font color="green"> Emissions from diesels will have to improve or governing bodies will continue to be biased against them. </font>

This has already been accomplished. Most of the new diesels emit less emissions that a compact car. That was the whole reason for Ford going to the 6.0 litre over the 7.3 litre. It was all about emissions. Most of the pickups and trucks are already at and beyond govt. guidelines.