Backhoe New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question
Yup, got the thumb too. I am not really mechanical, so I am kind of worried if I can figure all of this out. I am not hopeless, just cautious. I am not sure why there is not much out here on this model. I research things to death and except for the wire/seat problems it gets pretty good marks.

Yup, stumps, hence the backhoe. Seems like a good value, though not that much cheaper. Any tips would be super appreciated.

Dan

Well Dan, this is my first tractor as well... tips... one tip I took the backhoe off once to attach a post hole auger to the 3 point hitch... watch some youtube videos... taking it off was easy it took me 3 times as long to put it back on... and I missed 2 clips and got lucky that I didn't lose the pins they held in place. Watch the video over and over to get all the little pieces in your mind. Now I think I can do it just fine but there are a few different things back there that threw me for a loop putting it back together the first time so I could put the backhoe back on. I found lots of videos on youtube about removing the implements... ask your dealer to go through it with you. My dealer was awesome and took me out in a field and showed me what I was missing on the backhoe. Like I said now I can dig and make it look like I know what I am doing.. If I come up with anything new I will be sure to post it here for ya.

Naelr

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #12  
My 2 cents worth. I love my max 26xl. 45 hrs so far and not one problem. The seat does not seem to be a problem, I look at the wire every time I fire it up because I tilt the seat forward when done for the day. The only issue is when hooking up the backhoe, is the hyd. lines are pressured up from static sitting. I have to take a wood dowel, place it on the female side of hose fitting and hit it with a hammer. That releases the pressure and making the hose connection is much easier after that. Going to install LED work lights this weekend.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #13  
Naelr. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have your relief pressure checked on your hydraulic system. It might be possible it is set a bit low. I am saying this in a general way, as I have no experience with your brand or specific model. If the relief pressure is set low then this would perhaps account for your perceived weakness of the backhoe. Perhaps others owners of your specific model could comment on whether or not the backhoe should pick up the rear end of the tractor.

I do know when I took delivery of a New Holland TC33d machine many years ago, the FEL would not lift the front end of the tractor off of the ground. I called the dealer back and had a tech come out and reset the relief pressure and the FEL would easily pick up the front end of the tractor after that.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #14  
My 2 cents worth. I love my max 26xl. 45 hrs so far and not one problem. The seat does not seem to be a problem, I look at the wire every time I fire it up because I tilt the seat forward when done for the day. The only issue is when hooking up the backhoe, is the hyd. lines are pressured up from static sitting. I have to take a wood dowel, place it on the female side of hose fitting and hit it with a hammer. That releases the pressure and making the hose connection is much easier after that. Going to install LED work lights this weekend.

When you shut it down you are supposed to move the controls to relieve any pressure. That way it shouldn't be so hard to reconnect unless there is a big temp difference from when you took it off. I also store the hoe with the stabilizers strapped together and with no gravitational forces applied to either the dipper, boom or curl cylinders. Either chain, strap or block them in place. Also when you go to hook it up, set the front bucket on the ground, shut the tractor down and move the loader control front, back and side to side to relieve any pressure in the system.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #15  
When you shut it down you are supposed to move the controls to relieve any pressure. That way it shouldn't be so hard to reconnect unless there is a big temp difference from when you took it off. I also store the hoe with the stabilizers strapped together and with no gravitational forces applied to either the dipper, boom or curl cylinders. Either chain, strap or block them in place. Also when you go to hook it up, set the front bucket on the ground, shut the tractor down and move the loader control front, back and side to side to relieve any pressure in the system.

Dick, I do move the controls after shutdown. Do you rest backhoe on a dolly before strapping stabilizers. I do not have a dolly, so it sits on the stabilizers with dipper vertical and bucket horizontal. i thought the pressure build up was normal, at least that is what I gleemed from this sight.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #16  
The "whine" is the sound of the oil going over relief. Either the relief is improperly set too low, or you are at the max allowed my the manufacturer. You can have the dealer pressure test and see if it hits spec. You may simply be expecting too much.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #17  
Dick, I do move the controls after shutdown. Do you rest backhoe on a dolly before strapping stabilizers. I do not have a dolly, so it sits on the stabilizers with dipper vertical and bucket horizontal. i thought the pressure build up was normal, at least that is what I gleemed from this sight.

I've set it on the ground and sit it on a dolly and strapped the stabilizers up in both situations. I know one of my stabilizers will sag a bit over time if not strapped but don't know if it's the cylinder or the valve that's doing it. I neutralize the pressure after shut down and haven't had the problem you describe so far but from my understanding a large temperature change can cause it due to the fluid expanding and generating a little pressure in the lines. Other than that you'd have to have gravity and the weight of the hoe causing it.
BTW a dolly is nice to have to get the hoe back on so if you get some time you should make one up. It took me a couple of tries to get mine to work but after a little rethink and modification it works just fine.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #18  
I move all my control levers on the bh and the fel before I shut it down to disconnect and also all levers before I reconnect and I've never had a pressure issue.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #19  
Naelr. I wonder if it would be worthwhile to have your relief pressure checked on your hydraulic system. It might be possible it is set a bit low. I am saying this in a general way, as I have no experience with your brand or specific model. If the relief pressure is set low then this would perhaps account for your perceived weakness of the backhoe. Perhaps others owners of your specific model could comment on whether or not the backhoe should pick up the rear end of the tractor.

I do know when I took delivery of a New Holland TC33d machine many years ago, the FEL would not lift the front end of the tractor off of the ground. I called the dealer back and had a tech come out and reset the relief pressure and the FEL would easily pick up the front end of the tractor after that.

Bingo.

I have seen several Max26 that are a little low on system pressure. It makes a huge difference in loader and backhoe performance.

Naelr, ask the dealer to see if the loader will lift 1400 lbs at the pins as per the brochure. Have him scale it if he has a pull scale. I like that test first before doing a pressure test. Based on what you are describing, your pressures are possibly low.

However, we have had Terramites on the lot and they are sort of odd machines, but as dedicated units the loaders and backhoes are way stronger than the average machine of that size. I've always been amazed at the backhoe strength.

/ New Mahindra owner with a backhoe question #20  
From your original post, I assume this is your first TLB. There is a huge difference in the power of a T5 and Max26 TLB. BH operation is a skill that will improve with use. Think of the BH as a extension of your arm w bucket/thumb as a hand. If your grabbed a handful of weeds and pulled, it might take some wiggling and digging to yank it up by the roots. Same concept w TLB. Dig, pull, dig, push, dig, pull- it will come.
Keep the RPM up close to PTO range for max power
Keep digging and it will become more efficient as you become a skilled operator.