New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #1  

WinterDeere

Elite Member
Tractor
John Deere 3033R; JD 855 MFWD
if you have access any thermal imaging camera, and want to know how much liquid ballast your tires contain, all you need to do is move the machine (or your liquid tank, if doing a fresh fill) from one temperature extreme to another, and wait a few minutes for the air-filled part of the tire to change temperature. In this case, I moved the tractor from a warm shop to 16F outdoors, and waited 20 minutes. You can see my dealer got my tires filled pretty close to the 50% (400 lb) I requested:

8A1F05E5-1D97-40DE-8AB3-3FA7CAEF491E.jpegF22AD26F-F1E8-4356-AE73-19892244BF66.jpeg

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #2  
Clever idea

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #3  
I was able to find a cheaper way to do the same thing:

20180107_101608.jpg

:D

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #4  
THAT is one unique method - for sure. I see it, like Slowpoke Slim, every frosty morning. Mine are full of RimGuard to about an inch, or so, above the top of the rim.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage
Oh, and I should ask... the one tire is right around 50%, but the other is only maybe 35% (by eye). One friend who has differing fills on his two tires claims he always spins the lighter one, which makes sense. Should I ask the dealer to remediate this, or let it go? I already paid for the material based on a full 50%, although it wasn’t that expensive that I’m worried about the cost, it’s more about the unequal traction.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #7  
I don't know if you have enough difference for the lighter one to spin first. You might want to try. I lost the fill in one tire and it ALWAYS spun first. I had a flat and when they repaired it, they did not refill. I was told wrong truck came for service call and if I wanted it filled it would be another $75 service fee, plus fill fee and materials. I was not present when the tire was fixed (boot and new tube). I had hit a broken off Tee post, and had them fix the tractor where it sat. They came when I was at work. Farm is 6 miles from the house, so no one was there.

Great idea! I would see condensation on my tires to the fill height when conditions were right. I would even have puddles of water around the tires and at first thought they were leaking. Your idea can be used any time you can make temp change.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #8  
Should I ask the dealer to remediate this, or let it go?

My tire guy says the steel wheel should be 100% submerged,, to keep air away from the steel.

If air gets to the steel, the steel will rust,,
That is why most people can not check the tire pressure with a gauge, no matter what the stem position, fluid will come out the stem if you put a tire gauge to the stem.

I check my tire inflation with a tape measure,, I have a dimension for the wheel height above the shop floor.
If the # is low, I add air,, no gauge needed,,

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #9  
Nice! I like it. But my method works in summer, too.

Sometimes in humid weather the tires will condensate at the level and below even when it’s above freezing.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #10  
I just slap the sidewall with the flat of my hand. It is easy to hear the difference between air and liquid.