I was able to find a cheaper way to do the same thing:

View attachment 638133

:D

If you want to use this method in the summer,
spray the tire with the water from a garden hose, and wait a few minutes,,
the empty part of the tire will dry at a different rate than the filled part,,
showing how much ballast is in the tire, :thumbsup:

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage
I guess I am missing something. But why not just put the valve stem to the 12 o'clock position and fill to that point?
This particular machine is used for a lot of lawn care tasks, on a lawn that is very well-kept. Deere spec’s close to 1000 lb. in the rear tires for this loader on this machine, in addition to another 1100 lb. on the 3-point, but I just didn’t want that amount of weight permanently mounted for all of the non-loader lawn care tasks I do with this machine. But I needed a little weight in the rear, even when not carrying the ballast box, as this machine couldn’t even make it up a small hill without shifting to 4wd with an empty loader bucket. Hence the 400’ish lb. that a 50% fill would give me.

I can load up with enough weight on the 3-point to provide the stability I need, on those few occasions when I’m using the loader near maximum capacity, but keep the weight lower for all of the jobs I do more frequently. That was the idea, anyway.

But only one of us cares.

Then why are you spending your time trolling this thread? It’s not as if you’ve added anything useful to it.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #35  
Then why are you spending your time trolling this thread? It’s not as if you’ve added anything useful to it.

I've never considered Rick a troll. I consider him very intelligent, logical and decisive. His offering to this thread sounds very useful

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #36  
if you have access any thermal imaging camera, and want to know how much liquid ballast your tires contain, all you need to do is move the machine (or your liquid tank, if doing a fresh fill) from one temperature extreme to another, and wait a few minutes for the air-filled part of the tire to change temperature. In this case, I moved the tractor from a warm shop to 16F outdoors, and waited 20 minutes. You can see my dealer got my tires filled pretty close to the 50% (400 lb) I requested:

View attachment 638129View attachment 638130

Which thermal camera did you use? Cost?

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #37  
I've never considered Rick a troll. I consider him very intelligent, logical and decisive. His offering to this thread sounds very useful

Ditto RickB is a very knowledgeable contributor of knowledge to this forum. Very far from a troll.

Which thermal camera did you use? Cost?
It's an old FLIR, purchased more than 10 years ago, I am sure they don't make that particular model anymore. I think I paid about $11k for it at the time, but they're much cheaper now. I am told you can rent them by the hour at Lowes Depot today, but I never checked on that myself, since I have several at work.

This really isn't a practical thing, if you don't already have access to the camera. But since there are tens of thousands of these cameras in the hands of everyone from scientists to mechanics to insulation contractors, I figured it would be useful to enough readers of this forum.

edit: I just checked the flir.com site, and see they now sell one as cheap as $399, which might actually find use among homeowners for various purposes, including insulation analysis. FLIR ONE Pro Thermal Imaging Camera for Smartphones | FLIR Systems

In that case, I apologize, Rick. My only experience with you is your three responses to this thread:

But only one of us cares.

I have never cared enough to be more accurate than that. Life is too short.

Are the tires on that tractor loaded properly? Yes or no and move on.
But to each his own.

Maybe I just caught you in a bad mood. Either way, sorry for accusing you of trolling.

Last edited:
   / New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #39  
It's my belief that this boils down to a "new" experience or a "tried and true" experience.

First, the tires only need to be tested once. After that you know what's in them until they are dumped.

Second, buy a device to check the tires which requires education, setup, use, or just slap the tire.

User's choice.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #40  
It's an old FLIR, purchased more than 10 years ago, I am sure they don't make that particular model anymore. I think I paid about $11k for it at the time, but they're much cheaper now. I am told you can rent them by the hour at Lowes Depot today, but I never checked on that myself, since I have several at work.

This really isn't a practical thing, if you don't already have access to the camera. But since there are tens of thousands of these cameras in the hands of everyone from scientists to mechanics to insulation contractors, I figured it would be useful to enough readers of this forum.

edit: I just checked the flir.com site, and see they now sell one as cheap as $399, which might actually find use among homeowners for various purposes, including insulation analysis. FLIR ONE Pro Thermal Imaging Camera for Smartphones | FLIR Systems

In that case, I apologize, Rick. My only experience with you is your three responses to this thread:

Maybe I just caught you in a bad mood. Either way, sorry for accusing you of trolling.

Your apology is accepted and I offer mine for being less than helpful here. The responses I made here that you chose not to quote speak more accurately to what I was attempting to convey.