New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage
No biggie, RickB. You know how easy it is to read someone wrong on a forum. If I were in NC, I'm sure we could sit down over a beer and have a good talk. No hard feelings, I hope.

And I agree with everyone who's saying you can do the same with slapping the tire, as that was exactly what I was doing before I decided to bring one of the FLIR cameras home from work one evening to double-check what I thought I was hearing. I like the frost line method, or evaporation method in warmer weather, even better. This was just one more way, which I thought was pretty cool, for those who happen to already have access to such a camera. They're really pretty common these days, in some industries.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #42  
Yeah, the camera would have made a great "techno" thread for everyone to show their various tools in that arena.

I've got a cheap temp gun that I use frequently.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #43  
Yeah, the camera would have made a great "techno" thread for everyone to show their various tools in that arena.

I've got a cheap temp gun that I use frequently.

I'd be far more interested in using a FLIR camera to check for air leaks and insulation faults in my own home. I could also see doing it for a little side business as well. A couple home inspections could pay for the equipment I would think.

What I don't know, reading the specs of the $399 camera linked above is if that camera would work in that application. I don't know how to interpret the specs - can anyone else?

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #44  
I'd be far more interested in using a FLIR camera to check for air leaks and insulation faults in my own home. I could also see doing it for a little side business as well. A couple home inspections could pay for the equipment I would think.

What I don't know, reading the specs of the $399 camera linked above is if that camera would work in that application. I don't know how to interpret the specs - can anyone else?

Especially if it was attached to a Drone?? I've got a Drone but no FLIR camera. Maybe I'll ask around and see if any friends have one that operates with a remote. Ductape it to the Drone and have a go at my new house and shop!!!

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #45  
Especially if it was attached to a Drone?? I've got a Drone but no FLIR camera. Maybe I'll ask around and see if any friends have one that operates with a remote. Ductape it to the Drone and have a go at my new house and shop!!!

All the FLIR cameras I’ve seen are pretty big. Is there anything that a homeowner could afford that could be flow be a homeowner grade quadcopter?

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #46  
All the FLIR cameras I’ve seen are pretty big. Is there anything that a homeowner could afford that could be flow be a homeowner grade quadcopter?

The builder that did my house built his new house 3-4 years ago. He said he had a heat loss study done on his house. I'll have to ask him how it was done.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #47  
FLIR makes some drone cameras as do most drone manufacturers, about the cheapest I seen last I looked was about 2500. FLIR also makes smart phone adapters.

/ New measurement method for liquid ballast tire fill percentage #48  
FLIR makes some drone cameras as do most drone manufacturers, about the cheapest I seen last I looked was about 2500. FLIR also makes smart phone adapters.

Rest assured, I will not be buying a FLIR camera then..... :D

Yes, even this 10-12 year old 240x320 POS I used for the photos above work great for photographing household concerns. When I first moved into our current house almost a decade ago, I brought this camera home for that purpose, and found a few big items that I was able to address. It doesn't show draft leaks, but from the outside of the house you will see a warm area where the heated air is leaking out and heating objects around it. Likewise inside, you can't see the cold air rushing in, but you will see a cold window sill where that cold air is cascading down the window and cooling the sill.

This is an old video from 2014, so likely not the latest hardware, but this shows someone using the iPhone FLIR 1 to do a little bit of what you're describing. I'd bet there are similar videos for any specific model you're considering.

Rest assured, I will not be buying a FLIR camera then..... :D
You can pick up smaller pistol grip thermal imagers for under $500, or the iPhone thing for $400, but that's still an expensive toy unless you're able to use them for some sort of work. I'm told you can also rent them several places, but I've never looked into that, since I always have at least one available for my use at work. I expect prices to continue to come down on these, I have watched the pricing drop in half from 2000 - 2010, and half again 2010 - today, with better features and capabilities each time.