New shop started

/ New shop started
Compressor safety, it always bears repeating:

I’m one of those people that always believes in shutting off the power to the compressor after leaving the shop. I do this every time I leave (apparently mostly every time.)

I was working on the plasma table late last night, and apparently didn’t shut off the compressor. I came into a very loud Shop this morning. thankfully, no overheating, no fire, etc.

Something was missing.

Found it.

Old file as ez-out

So, time to add a timer to the outlet so that doesn’t happen again

(And time to replace all the pop off valves on this one)

/ New shop started #622  
I never seen that happen before.

I'm so terrible at remembering to turn off my air compressor that I wrote on the door from my garage to my house in big massive letters with a marker "Compressor" to remind me to turn it off.

And I still forget.

/ New shop started
That is my fear, ignoring a light, sign etc.

I need to figure out what sort of timer would control 220v, 30??amp

Failure, agreed! Who would have guessed the device fails at a lower psi than the spring pressure?

/ New shop started #624  
Fortunately for me, my compressor is just loud enough that I can hear it when I go to bed. It's one of the most annoying things ever. To be laying in bed and hear it running. I have to get up, and go out there to turn it off. Drives me crazy!!!!

/ New shop started #626  
I plug a compressor into an outlet that is controlled from a switch next to the front door of my shop (on the right side of the photo below the sub-panel). The overhead LED fixture up there is also plugged into that outlet. I never leave the light on when I’m not out there so I never forget to kill the power to the compressor. Of course it’s just a little 120 volt model.
IMG_3862.jpeg

That wouldn’t work out so well with a 240 or 480 volt one. Also, I just plug that compressor into that outlet when I need it, because it annoys me to hear it come on when I don’t need it.

I have a second small 120 volt compressor on the opposite end of the shop, that I can plug into a non-switched outlet by the back door, when I need air back there. I prefer (2) small compressors, over one big one, because I always have backup that way.

/ New shop started #627  
It probably blew apart when the pressure went too high, instead of opening like it suppose to.

Sometimes my pressure cutoff switch doesn't cut off the compressor. A couple of times I have came into the barn to hear the relief valve blowing and the compressor running. I try to make a habit now of turning the compressor breaker off.

So..................., a new pressure cutoff switch might be needed.

Last edited:
   / New shop started #628  
I am religious about turning mine on when I enter the shop (if I am going to need it) and off when I leave. But yeah even us religious ones sin occasionally...😇 I have forgotten a time or two and it will run every few hours due to leaks in the airlines/regulators/etc. My shop is 400' away and very tight so you can't hear it from the house.

Had a weird one tonight. Went to shut it off and the moment I flipped the switch it started to cycle - while I was mid switch. So it started and then stopped immediately. I waited for the relief valve to stop hissing and then turned it back on to make sure all was well and it was. What are the odds of hitting that just right like that?

/ New shop started #630  
Yep. Back in Illinois, I could hear the compressor from the house. Not in the shop I built, out here. I'm pretty good about turning it off when I'm done needing it.

usually....