New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns?

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #31  
How did you measure? I assume you meant 70 percent because 70 degrees is an impossible hill. Even dedicated slope mowers wouldn’t do that. Even then I doubt your measurements are accurate because 70 degrees would put most machines on their side and is very difficult to walk on. Slopes are hard to display with pictures but those look like 15-20 degrees not 34 degrees.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #32  
Here's some good info from Penn State College of Agricultural Sciences on Overturn Hazards:
View attachment Tractor Overturn Hazards 202[1].pdf

I don't like to generalize, but I think for most tractors the center-of-gravity (CG) is probably at ankle level when siting on the seat. A cab will raise the COG some. Loading the tires will lower the CG some. A front end loader (FEL) may raise and/or lower the COG depending on it's position. That is, any weight added above the CG raises the CG (more "tippy"), weight added below lowers the COG (less tippy).)

Raising a mower up above the axle raises the tractors CG. Lowering the mower to just above the ground lowers tractor's CG. Lowering the mower so its weight no longer hangs from the tractor but rests on the ground effectively "raises" the tractors CG.

As the illustrations show, one can see that the tire width would drastically alters at what angle the tractor needs to be tipped at before the COG "overtakes" the outside of the tire and the tractor rolls over.

"Pucker-factor" or how much you slide in the seat has nothing to do with the physics/geometry of when the tractor will roll over. If wheels are set wide enough and CG is low enough, I guarantee you and your pucker factor will chicken out WAY BEFORE tractor rolls over. And vice-versa.

Last edited:
   / New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #33  
I mow with the loader on so I can keep the bucket low. Whatever you do don't raise the bucket way up so you can see. Keep it down. It's useful for mowing to find rocks you forgot about.

The front axle does not do anything for the tractor's stability because of the central pivot. This means that if the rear tire on the low side goes into a hole the entire tractor will tilt- the front's not going to keep it up.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #34  
It takes time to be comfortable on slopes, have been a passenger on the fields in the picture, know your equipments limits are the clue.

Never felt nervous, but if the wheels slips and starts sliding you better jump....

And we drove a AEBI TP so I'm not sure it would be particular fun to try a compact tractor ;) 5763896611_a459f0870d_b.jpg

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #35  
I mow with the loader on so I can keep the bucket low.

The front axle does not do anything for the tractor's stability because of the central pivot. This means that if the rear tire on the low side goes into a hole the entire tractor will tilt- the front's not going to keep it up.
Which is why you’d be better off taking the loader off. Not to mention it makes you crab down hill worse.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #36  
Judge by the picture it should not be a big problem, if needed invest in dual rear wheels as it helps enormously on stability.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #37  
Also in WV, but near the Ohio river valley, at the Mason Dixon line. Very steep hills, and small-ish tractor with 5' brush hog and front loader. Wheels loaded and spaced out, plus extra spacers to gain 9" over that. R1 ag tires. Factory ROPS, and built a full roll cage with limb risers that connect at the front grill guard. Loader always on, often with a 5' chunk of rail road track bolted inside the bucket for extra front ballast. Ive used an angle meter and accurately mesured 30* side slopes and 45* up and down slopes... but its really clawing to climb up the 45*, mostly go down that steep. Feels like its standing on its nose going down that... I know my tractor well, and have been on many in the past 30+ years of running them.

Take some time and get to know your new machine, start on flater areas, and 'push the limit' a little more as you get more comfortable.

Find a ditch/bank, and test side hill angle, doing so in a place where if it flops over, you just hit the other side of the ditch, not barrel roll to the bottom of the holler (as is often a risk I face) and park it there. Assess the angle, and how it feels from the seat... learn from that and apply to real-world use.

Good luck, and be safe!

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns?
How did you measure? I assume you meant 70 percent because 70 degrees is an impossible hill. Even dedicated slope mowers wouldn稚 do that. Even then I doubt your measurements are accurate because 70 degrees would put most machines on their side and is very difficult to walk on. Slopes are hard to display with pictures but those look like 15-20 degrees not 34 degrees.

So, I got the Clinometer app and went out to my hill and laid my phone on the angle and that痴 what I got. :confused3:

I guess in the end the # doesn稚 matter. I知 going to do what makes me feel comfortable. Basically, I started this thread by wanting to know some safe approaches to handling hills, and have gotten a lot of good general advice. THANKS to all who took time to answer! I値l let you know how it goes.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #39  
c-angle.gif

Bruce

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #40  
grades-degrees-percent.jpg

Bruce