New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns?

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #51  
If you have not mowed the property before just be aware of possible pot holes. They can turn you over if your rear wheel hit on the low side if you are side hill mowing. The areas that I mow I know well. I mow side hill when I can and up and down when necessary. There is no manic formula just experience. Go slow and keep your bucket and mower down. You've loaded the rears and widened them. Those are two of the most important things to increase stability on hills.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #52  
If you have not mowed the property before just be aware of possible pot holes. They can turn you over if your rear wheel hit on the low side if you are side hill mowing. The areas that I mow I know well. I mow side hill when I can and up and down when necessary. There is no manic formula just experience. Go slow and keep your bucket and mower down. You've loaded the rears and widened them. Those are two of the most important things to increase stability on hills.
X2 on the pot holes. Best to walk it or take a mower, etc. first. I found about six pot holes that would easily flip a tractor. Hard to tell by looking, found with the mower though! Those I filled in with rocks and dirt.
A couple large ones no use since rain washes them out.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #53  
Please be careful. I have the exact opposite. I have a ridgetop. A bowl is easier IMHO. If you begin to feel a bit uneasy sidesloping, you can turn the nose of the tractor downhill and ride it out.

I feel safer without the loader. The hinge points are high and transmit bucket loads through the hinge. Sideslope until you feel uncomfortable. At that point switch to up and down. Back up the slope and drive down. It’s far less efficient, but is the safest. You could leave your loader on if backing up and driving down. Worse case scenario, the loader bucket becomes and anchor that you can plant in front of yourself if you start sliding downhill.

Wait until after noon to mow the steepest areas. You’ll want the grass as dry as possible. You’ll notice R4s sliding before the tractor will roll. My next tractor will have R1s as I’ve had too many instances of trying to climb to the top of my ridge with the diff locked and R4s struggling to find traction. Or the mower dragging the rear end down the hill as I sidesloped. This was in a horse pasture. Not rough, uneven ground.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns?
Please be careful. I have the exact opposite. I have a ridgetop. A bowl is easier IMHO. If you begin to feel a bit uneasy sidesloping, you can turn the nose of the tractor downhill and ride it out.

I feel safer without the loader. The hinge points are high and transmit bucket loads through the hinge. Sideslope until you feel uncomfortable. At that point switch to up and down. Back up the slope and drive down. It’s far less efficient, but is the safest. You could leave your loader on if backing up and driving down. Worse case scenario, the loader bucket becomes and anchor that you can plant in front of yourself if you start sliding downhill.

Wait until after noon to mow the steepest areas. You’ll want the grass as dry as possible. You’ll notice R4s sliding before the tractor will roll. My next tractor will have R1s as I’ve had too many instances of trying to climb to the top of my ridge with the diff locked and R4s struggling to find traction. Or the mower dragging the rear end down the hill as I sidesloped. This was in a horse pasture. Not rough, uneven ground.

Yup; I want to be careful!

All this was helpful, thanks!

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #55  
I know it is late, but a point that has been overlooked. BEFORE the grass runs away on you, walk the paddock and MARK rocks and stumps that would be hidden in the grass and mark and fill in holes that the wheels may fall into. When I say mark I mean permanantly, ie steel post(warratah), and paint white or drop a pvc pipe over the steel post for visibility.
On post 28 look at the 2 areas marked @70% grade, they are 35 degrees slope and not worth the effort to brush hog. If you don't like long grass then fence separately and graze.