New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns?

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #41  
i don't like mowing with my loader on - I remove the loader and make sure you have front weights. loaded tires help as well

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #42  
Doesn't help, but my brush hog is on the front so makes it easier to see what's coming. Plus being articulated in the center and low, it is very stable on hills.

Looks like some good suggestions. On your first pict, i can see mowing by that tree would be interesting. Be on the look out for a hole or abrupt drop, i've brought regular tractors up off the top hill wheel, because of those. Slow and easy after you've sussed out your route, your slopes aren't ones i'd take a leap off the tractor for, and less likely to end up on the down hill path of your tractor.
Nothing like the one Agvg shows, that slope you might want to take your chances on and leap off, before the tractor picked up too much speed, tumbling down the hill.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #43  
With the modern tractors, seat belts and ROPS that come from the factory, advice to 'jump off the tractor' is advice that should not be given to a novice. You're more likely to get injured during your attempt to exit than staying securly belted in place. Wear your seat belt, every where, every time.

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #44  
I am not new to the land, but to driving a modern tractor on these slopes, yes. I don’t know how to calculate, but basically, our land that’s mowable is one long swale (we call it the bowl). The outer, upper edges of the bowl can get pretty steep, but a lot of it will be quite tame. I am NOT seeking mow ALL of it, just as much as can be safely done in this tractor.

I have found that my tractor will hold a steeper slope than my butt will

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #45  
With the modern tractors, seat belts and ROPS that come from the factory, advice to 'jump off the tractor' is advice that should not be given to a novice. You're more likely to get injured during your attempt to exit than staying securly belted in place. Wear your seat belt, every where, every time.

I know aman who was bush hogging and got in a yellow jacket nest. He jumped off the tractor to run and the bush hog cut his ankle off

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns? #46  
The Cubs I've had slide down the hill like a toboggan, but it's very safe.
My suggestion would be WITH PTO OFF simply drive your tractor around your place a little with bush hog attached just to get the feel of it. If the least bit queasy don't do it.
On one place of my property along the woods line at top of a steep pasture I'll make a few long passes with a Cub. It then levels out...then steep downhill...then level again to a creek drop off. Along creek it drops down about 6-8 feet, so again I make passes with Cub. The pasture is undercut by creek, but Cub so much lighter.
Then I bush hog tractor downhill, go parallel to creek but I'm now 10+feet away, go uphill side that's not too steep, over and down steep side.
In picture it's off behind red barn to the left. 20190510_190126.jpg20190510_190101.jpg20190510_190210.jpg

/ New to mowing hills... what are safest mowing patterns?

So, I’m buying a CAB tractor. I don’t think I’ll be able to jump at all ever. :confused3:

I know aman who was bush hogging and got in a yellow jacket nest. He jumped off the tractor to run and the bush hog cut his ankle off

AND this (bee nests) was the #1 reason that I tipped over into buying a cab tractor. :thumbsup:

The Cubs I've had slide down the hill like a toboggan, but it's very safe.
My suggestion would be WITH PTO OFF simply drive your tractor around your place a little with bush hog attached just to get the feel of it. If the least bit queasy don't do it.
On one place of my property along the woods line at top of a steep pasture I'll make a few long passes with a Cub. It then levels out...then steep downhill...then level again to a creek drop off. Along creek it drops down about 6-8 feet, so again I make passes with Cub. The pasture is undercut by creek, but Cub so much lighter.
Then I bush hog tractor downhill, go parallel to creek but I'm now 10+feet away, go uphill side that's not too steep, over and down steep side.
In picture it's off behind red barn to the left.View attachment 604252View attachment 604253View attachment 604254

I like the advice to drive around and get a feel for it. Thanks~