New Tractor for a new amputee

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #1  

Gryantaylor

Bronze Member
Tractor
Kubota B7100 & cub 2160

I知 looking for I bit of unusual advice. My Uncle and Mother were involved in a severe car accident last Thanksgiving. The good news is everyone is slowly recovering; the bad news is that my Uncle lost his right leg and may soon loose his left leg. Prior to the accident he used to enjoy a number of activities that required landscaping, gardening, etc. To do these tasks he used to the accident he was using a Cub Cadet 2160 for mowing, an old ford truck (manual) for snow removal, a walk behind tiller, push mower, wheel barrow, and a lot of shovel rake work for the gardening and landscaping. Obviously, driving the truck (manual) isn稚 going to work now, and can go the way of the push mower, walk behind tiller etc. But he would still like to do these activities, and we致e talked about buying a tractor to increase the number of things he can still do as well as increase his mobility around the yard. I知 thinking we値l need a mower, rot tiller, snow blower / plow & loader and likely a backhoe. He壇 also like a Cab incase he gets stuck, at least he値l be warm/ cool while waiting for assistance.

Right now weæ±*e looking at a Kubota L45 or similar with an aftermarket cab. I like the TBL series because there is more room in the operatorç—´ platform, and the seat swivels which I think will help with getting in /out and using rear implements. I致e got a few quotes from local dealers and they are all more then willing to help quote a tractor price, but very few / none are able to help with Handicap features moving the gas / break peddle (or equal for HSTç—´) to the steering wheel like they do for cars. Adding a lift to get up into the cab and other featureç—´ I haven稚 even thought of yet. So my questions are

1) has anyone here done something like this
2) how does it work
3) what would you do differently if you did it again,
4) where can these handicap features be purchased
5) What other complications have we not even begun to think of yet?

Thanks in advance for all your great suggestions

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #2  
   / New Tractor for a new amputee #3  
You might want to talk to a company that converts cars over, they may be able to point you in the right direction. Your average dealer will not want to take on the added liabilty if something they rig up fails and someone gets hurt. Good luck.:)

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #5  
I can't speak to all things-- but a couple thoughts--

1. lawn mowing-- think zero turn.. I have a friend that is handicapped and uses a ZTM for that--

2. Seeing how my friend drives- and the controls.. I would guess any good handicap hand control company has ideas for this..

Contact your or rather your Uncles's doctor and ask for information on automobile hand controls..

That should help you down the path...

Keep us informed......

J

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #6  
Now this seems like the ideal case for a powertrac. I have never had one, used one, seen one, nor known anyone with one, but he pictures and stories in the powertrac forum are pretty impressive.

The thing about them is that they are low to the ground, and have a hydraulic actuating mechanism for the quick attach(I think).

If you had a little space, he could get in(through maybe a fixed "garage lift"), and select/change his tools at will. They have all the attachments you talked about(except the cab).

Chris

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #7  
A great resource is "Breaking New Ground" out of Purdue University. They should be able to refer you to companies that specialize in adapting systems for tractors. I saw a company at the Indiana State Fair that was displaying a John Deere 4710 tractor with a seat lift and all hand controls. The name of the company escapes me right now, but the people at Purdue should be able to give you that reference. You may find what you want on the web site, but I would suggest giving them a call also.

Breaking New Ground Resource Center

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #8  
I agree with the guys who recommended someone who does the conversions to cars. And while he's really to far from you, I think one of our members, Carver Equipment, has done some of that kind of work. Click on "DEALERS" at the top of your screen, and send a message to Carver. He might at least have some good advice for you.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #9  

I知 looking for I bit of unusual advice. My Uncle and Mother were involved in a severe car accident last Thanksgiving. The good news is everyone is slowly recovering; the bad news is that my Uncle lost his right leg and may soon loose his left leg. Prior to the accident he used to enjoy a number of activities that required landscaping, gardening, etc. To do these tasks he used to the accident he was using a Cub Cadet 2160 for mowing, an old ford truck (manual) for snow removal, a walk behind tiller, push mower, wheel barrow, and a lot of shovel rake work for the gardening and landscaping. Obviously, driving the truck (manual) isn稚 going to work now, and can go the way of the push mower, walk behind tiller etc. But he would still like to do these activities, and we致e talked about buying a tractor to increase the number of things he can still do as well as increase his mobility around the yard. I知 thinking we値l need a mower, rot tiller, snow blower / plow & loader and likely a backhoe. He壇 also like a Cab incase he gets stuck, at least he値l be warm/ cool while waiting for assistance.

Right now we*e looking at a Kubota L45 or similar with an aftermarket cab. I like the TBL series because there is more room in the operator痴 platform, and the seat swivels which I think will help with getting in /out and using rear implements. I致e got a few quotes from local dealers and they are all more then willing to help quote a tractor price, but very few / none are able to help with Handicap features moving the gas / break peddle (or equal for HST痴) to the steering wheel like they do for cars. Adding a lift to get up into the cab and other feature痴 I haven稚 even thought of yet. So my questions are

1) has anyone here done something like this
2) how does it work
3) what would you do differently if you did it again,
4) where can these handicap features be purchased
5) What other complications have we not even begun to think of yet?

Thanks in advance for all your great suggestions

I think this is a fantastic idea! To try to get one machine that does it all will be tough. Maybe multiple machines. A small mini-excavator can do a tremendous amount of work digging, minor grading, etc., and it can be operated almost entirely with hand controls. Get it with a thumb for sure. Someone else mentioned a zero-turn, another great idea as it is already almost all hand controls already.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #10  
On my friends B7100 a plumbing nipple was welded onto the HST rocker foot control peddle.
He screws in a short length of 1/2" pipe and runs his BX by hand with that.
Push lever for forward and pull for reverse.
Center is neutral/stop.
Works real good for him.

While he has good walking ability, a damaged tendon prevented him from operating the foot control, so he does it all by hand.

A good KISS solution! (and 10 min conversion!)

Additionally a 'dead mans switch' (as used on snowmobiles and jet boats) could be fairly easily incorporated to activate the fuel shut off, 'just in case' as an additional precaution.