New Tractor for a new amputee

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #21  
Check with these people they do great work. If they cant do it I dont know who could.

They work with handicap farmers to make it work for them.

AgrAbility Project

/ New Tractor for a new amputee
Thanks for all the continued responses. I've passed all the information along to my Uncle and he is planning on going to look at a number of the toy's (I mean tools suggested here as soon as he gets is van. As for the slide boards when I was home last I built 3 diffrent size (lengh) boards for him and the VA has supplied him with one. The biggest problem we have right now is making him belive that he can still do things. We're making progress but its a slow road.

It is likly to be a long time before we get funds from the insurance company for the tractor but I'll keep everyone posted as we (he) visits the dealers and trys out the diffrent equipment.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #23  
I, too would suggest seriously looking at the Power Trac line of tractors.

Power Trac products

Here's why...

They are built in Tazewell, WV. They only sell factory direct. You can talk to the people that make them. They have done custom work in the past. Read on as to why this is important...

The tractor is low to the ground, very stable on slopes, easy to get in and out of from either side. They are hydraulically articulated, meaning they bend in the middle. They can get in and out of tight places much better than a conventional tractor. All of the implements are out front where you can see them. Mower, FEL, brush hog, tiller, snow blower, everything is out front. The quick attach allows you to change non-powered implements in 15 seconds without getting off of the seat. Powered implements are driven by hydraulics and only require hoses to be hooked up.
Here's the part that I think would really help an amputee... the only foot controls are a treadle with the forward pedal on the right and the reverse pedal on the left. That treadle is just a hydraulic valve. I'll bet that if you talked to the folks at Power Trac they could put a hand operated valve on the left side of the steering wheel to control direction instead of the treadle pedal. If not, a long lever could easily be made to fit the current treadle pedal for hand control of direction. Since it is hydraulically driven, no brakes are needed. They aren't even available on the smaller units.

Follow that link I gave above and check them out. Also, click on my little animated tractor in my signature and that will take you to my website where there are pictures and many videos of my Power Trac at work.

Good luck in your search. :)

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #24  
Regarding the Power Trac, the more I think about it, you could put a 2-spool valve with a joystick in it to control speed AND direction with one stick, like a fighter pilot. It might be a bit jerk to turn VS a steering valve, but it could easily be done.

For that matter, you could put switches on the joystick and control the FEL and quick attach with solenoid valves from the same stick. Complete one hand operation.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #25  
Hi: Think a company called Curtis cabs makes a cab/with heat for the bx series. Somebody in NY had quite the setup for snow blowing. try BX snowblowing about 2 yrs ago.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #26  

We have in fact done some conversions for those that are "Challenged" by no means do we consider ourselves to be Experts, but we can boast of 100% satisfaction. Let us know if we can help!!

Craig Sanford
President
Carver Equipment

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #28  
Regarding the Power Trac, the more I think about it, you could put a 2-spool valve with a joystick in it to control speed AND direction with one stick, like a fighter pilot. It might be a bit jerk to turn VS a steering valve, but it could easily be done.

For that matter, you could put switches on the joystick and control the FEL and quick attach with solenoid valves from the same stick. Complete one hand operation.

Hmm....like the old Snapper/Country Clipper zero turns with the joystick control. It actually is pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it. Only problem is, you would have to take it all the way to Tazewell for service. That's the big downside to buying factory-direct.

If he decides to go with a zero turn lawn mower, look at the Bad Boy or something with an electric or hydraulic deck lift. Most ZTRs require a right foot to raise the deck, with the exception of Bobcat, which has a left-hand foot assist.

For the cost of an ASV and the attachments, you could get a tractor, ZTR, and a few attachments and accessories and still have a few $K in your pocket. Skid steers are amazing tools, but most landowners don't really have enough of an application for them.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #29  
Hmm....like the old Snapper/Country Clipper zero turns with the joystick control. It actually is pretty intuitive once you get the hang of it. Only problem is, you would have to take it all the way to Tazewell for service. That's the big downside to buying factory-direct.

If he decides to go with a zero turn lawn mower, look at the Bad Boy or something with an electric or hydraulic deck lift. Most ZTRs require a right foot to raise the deck, with the exception of Bobcat, which has a left-hand foot assist.

For the cost of an ASV and the attachments, you could get a tractor, ZTR, and a few attachments and accessories and still have a few $K in your pocket. Skid steers are amazing tools, but most landowners don't really have enough of an application for them.

I don't take mine to Tazewell for service. I do my own engine oil changes and lube jobs. I keep things tight with a wrench. I do my own air in the tires, too! :p

They are very easy to work on. If you have a competent hydraulic shop in your home town, they can help with anything that you cannot handle. Same thing goes for the engines.