New Tractor for a new amputee

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #11  
I would buy a Positrack PT30 or a used RC30 track loader . He would be able to get into it with a small wooden stationary ramp the machine could be nosed up against . They are joystick controlled and can run a rotary mower , flail mower , rotary hoe , snow blower , forks , 4in1 bucket , post hole borer , grapple , rake , backhoe etc . They can be attached from the seat and he would be stable and safe within the cabin . He could do all the jobs he did before and more , as well as use it to get around the property . RC-30 :: SR Series :: Posi-Track.com.au

YouTube - ASV Turf Tracks on ASV Track loaders

Last edited:
   / New Tractor for a new amputee
Thanks for all the great idea's and as usual in less then 24 hours. I knew I came to the right place. Before I posted I talked with the supplier we purchased a van from about converting a tractor and got a deer in the headlights look. I also spoke with his doctors that agree getting him doing things would be great but didn't have many contact either, which is why I posted here, and within hours I致e got two contacts by following the link posted by superduty. As well as many other good responses. I'm going to contact the two suppliers below who appear to be doing exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for.

Life Essentials - Advanced Assistive Technology
Person Lift for Farming, Construction, and Heavy Duty Equipment - by Coach Lift

Also, in true TBN fashion I now have another problem, some others have suggested 1) multiple machines which I had considered early on and dismissed as too expensive, but now sounds like a really good idea. 2) skid steer option which I really liked but was concerned that it would be to destructive to the yard / lawn etc. until I saw link posted by IronHorse and now that seems like a really good option too. and 3) the PT which has all the accessories we'd need and is easy to get on/off.

I guess the next step is to finish putting the costs together for our first idea and then work with my Uncle and show him all the other great suggestions you guys have and see which one(s) sound most attractive to him and try to get a few quotes for some / all of the above options. I'll be sure to let you know what we find out. I'm sure we'll have more questions as I have less experience with the PT, mini ex, and skid steers.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction on the tractor lifts and then making me rethink the entire concept all together :)

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #13  
I might suggest the Power-Trac line. They are low to the ground, easy to get in and out of. Control pedals, at least on the larger version, are hydraulically controlled so easy to move.

The bigger advantage is all implements are located in front and extremely easy to take on and off. Also turning in a chair to watch your implements may be a big issue, not one with the PT

Also, the engine is low to the ground, maintenance would be easier to accomplish.

This all said, there are rigs out there for the disabled to operate larger frame tractors.

Carl

Last edited:
   / New Tractor for a new amputee #14  
Gryantaylor,
As a long term amputee, the BX24 works real well for me as a 4wd wheelchair. It allows me much freedom and on those days when I can't stand, transferring to the BX does not require a lift. (however, it does require some upper body strength) The BX could fill all the activities you mentioned as long as you are not talking about 20 or more acres of stuff to do.

I especially like PILOON's nipple idea on the treadle. All this time I have been using my crutch on those bad days. Hmmmm, another modification is on the way for the BX. :)

The downside I have with the BX is getting into the seat for the backhoe. But that's another story.

Good luck,
Carl

/ New Tractor for a new amputee
Gryantaylor,
As a long term amputee, the BX24 works real well for me as a 4wd wheelchair. It allows me much freedom and on those days when I can't stand, transferring to the BX does not require a lift. (however, it does require some upper body strength) The BX could fill all the activities you mentioned as long as you are not talking about 20 or more acres of stuff to do.

I especially like PILOON's nipple idea on the treadle. All this time I have been using my crutch on those bad days. Hmmmm, another modification is on the way for the BX. :)

The downside I have with the BX is getting into the seat for the backhoe. But that's another story.

Good luck,
Carl

Carl, thanks for the information its great to hear from someone who actually has to live with a similar condition. I've tried to get in and out of a wheel chair and on to things like tractor seat without using my legs but I still don't have any real understanding of what its like. I've looked at the BX with my Uncle as it would certinally be large enough for anything he needs to do but he was concerned that he didn't have the upper body strength to get up into the seat, turning the seat around for backhoe operation would be all but impossible. He also really wanted a factory cab in part because snow blowing with a cab is much much nicer then with my little machine and 2) he is very concerned that something will break, he'll get stuck or for some reason he might need to wait for help since he can't just walk back to the house. If he's in a cab hes not as worried about having to hang out in the cab for a while (hours) while he calls for some help. I'm not convinced that a cab is totally necessary as it makes getting in and out far more complicated but, if he isn't confrotable using it he simply won't which will defete the point.

I'll be sure to let him know about your BX and how its working out for you. Prehaps it will change his mind or at least provide some peice of mind that someone else has done it before.

Thanks again

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #16  
You may also want to look at State agencies that provide assistance to the handicaped. That can come in many forms inclusing $ to do conversions.

Andy

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #17  
A BX might work but what about Bobcats new toolcat. You can get an enclosed cab and it has the loader and the threepoint for a tiller, snowblower, ect. It even has 2 seats so you can use it as a utility vehicle. The brake and gas are a few inches appart so he could drive it aroud with one leg. Very nice machine that looks pretty easy to get into. The toolcat has all wheel steer and can be equipped with turf or R4 industreal tires. its an idea.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #18  
A BX might work but what about Bobcats new toolcat. You can get an enclosed cab and it has the loader and the threepoint for a tiller, snowblower, ect. It even has 2 seats so you can use it as a utility vehicle. The brake and gas are a few inches appart so he could drive it aroud with one leg. Very nice machine that looks pretty easy to get into. The toolcat has all wheel steer and can be equipped with turf or R4 industreal tires. its an idea.

Yes it would. I second that. But a Toolcat, especially the 5610 w/ a 3pt, with those attachment will be at least $50k. No less than $45k, at any dealer, with wanted attachments and options. They are $30k stock.

Kyle

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #19  
Carl, thanks for the information its great to hear from someone who actually has to live with a similar condition. I've tried to get in and out of a wheel chair and on to things like tractor seat without using my legs but I still don't have any real understanding of what its like. I've looked at the BX with my Uncle as it would certinally be large enough for anything he needs to do but he was concerned that he didn't have the upper body strength to get up into the seat, turning the seat around for backhoe operation would be all but impossible. He also really wanted a factory cab in part because snow blowing with a cab is much much nicer then with my little machine and 2) he is very concerned that something will break, he'll get stuck or for some reason he might need to wait for help since he can't just walk back to the house. If he's in a cab hes not as worried about having to hang out in the cab for a while (hours) while he calls for some help. I'm not convinced that a cab is totally necessary as it makes getting in and out far more complicated but, if he isn't confrotable using it he simply won't which will defete the point.

I'll be sure to let him know about your BX and how its working out for you. Prehaps it will change his mind or at least provide some peice of mind that someone else has done it before.

Thanks again

For transferring, the two places (wheelchair,tractor) should be almost equal in height. Fighting gravity takes strength. Many people us transfer boards and just slide from one place to the other. Getting used to "scooting" around on the floor, yes, shining the floor with your b**t, is a good part of the learning curve and builds the right "transfer" strength.

I learned the hard way that when away from home with the tractor, take everything you need for personal transportation to get home without the tractor. I was only going to be gone about 10 minutes and was about 1/4 mile from my truck when the tractor stopped. I "scooted" the 1/4 mile in about 2 hours. btw, I was cussing, swearing, and yelling about my stupidity all the way. :)

As far as the seat for the backhoe, mine will eventually be changed to work.

/ New Tractor for a new amputee #20  
Many people us transfer boards and just slide from one place to the other.

My mother had to use one to get from bed to wheelchair and back again for several years. And I shopped, phoned, visited stores, etc. and never did find a place to buy them locally, but if you just enter "transfer board" at google.com you'll find lots of places to buy them. Of course part of my problem back then was that my mother and the nurses called it a "slide board" and while that may be the use they're put to, that ain't the name you want to use when shopping.:D