NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP?

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #1  

Nortac

Tractor
Mahindra 2565
I bought a Mahindra 2565 last week and it came with the R4 tires. This tractor will rarely ever see hard surfaces and will spend its life in the woods for mostly mowing and loader work with some tilling for food plots and general work. Did I screw up in getting the R4 tires over the R1 tires???

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #2  
You will get a lot of opinions here. I use my tractors for much the same thing, plus snow removal. I think your R4 tires will serve you fine unless you get into situations where you need even more traction. I had a 33hp New Holland with R4s, and now have a 40 hp New Holland with R1s. Obviously, there is a difference in hp and weight, but the R1s have significantly more pulling power in snow and dirt. They also tear up the turf when driving in the yard. That said, if there is a next tractor for me, it will have R1s.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #3  
Depends really on what you actually do and how often. I have R4s and often would like to have to increased traction of R1 at times, no doubt. My property is not flat, it has 400 ft of elevation change. I have no hard surface, a little bit of gravel, the rest is dirt. Once the snow comes, the R4s are done. But 95% of the time I don't need more traction than the R4s provide. R1s would tear up my driveway 100% of the time. Seems like chains would be good have for the few cases I need more traction.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #4  
For the uses you describe, I'd want R1s....way better in the woods, and for tilling, etc. R4s are great for loader work, ride smoother, don't damage lawns as much, and offer great puncture resistance, but they almost never equal the traction you can get with R1s.

Before I sold my LS I was clearing a low area with the brush hog and nearly got stuck...it was a bit damp and the R4s just spun like crazy because the tread instantly filled with mud (even with 4wd and differential lock use). I put my other mower on my 2wd Massey which has R1s and it just cruised through the same area with almost no wheel spin at all....total non-event.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #5  
Well im going to add my 2 cents on this subject.. I have 2 tractors, a Mahindra and a Kioti, both have loaders and both have R4's I got a brand new set of R1's with the Kiot I used then twice. They sit on a pallet in my shop As far as i'm concerned they are worthless on a loader tractor because they are to narrow and they roll off the rim under load, not a good thing when you use your tractor every day. I Put the R4's back on and this year we have had the muddiest year ever. Now mind you my Kioti skids logs almost everyday and i have never had a problem with lack of traction, Ive had mud rolling in over the floor board and we keep on going. I will never go for R1's Never, Never, Never. Oh i should mention my rear tires are loaded on the Kioti, i've run it 1532 hours with out a problem. The Mahindra has some where around 1100 hours both are used in logging and firewood processing. I'll keep my R4's.........

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #6  
R4's are better in the woods as the tread provides a better surface to resist punctures and the wider tires will float over softer forest ground areas where the R1's will sink.

Last winter was the snowiest winter on record and the R4's performed very well.

I've had R1's and R4's and will not go back to R1's.

There's a reason most new Compact and sub compact tractors come with R4's from the factory.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #7  
I had R4,s on my previous Kioti DK40se.On my 2012 Kioti I went with the R1,s where we live at there is a fair amount of snow per year I also work in the field tilling and brush hogging.As far as front end loader work I add about 10psi to the front tires and then deflate them back when done.For my work purposes The R1,s work for me.

Attachments

• 006.jpg
    006.jpg
    882.1 KB · Views: 333
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 372
   / NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #8  
I'll add my 2 cents, My tractor is a Kubota Grand L 3540 with loaded tires, no chains and my location in upstate New York receives quite a bit of snow. I plow, snow blow my 225 foot driveway along with large turn around for 35 foot RV. I also do my widowed neighbors drive the same distance, both drives are blacktop and I never had a traction issue ever.
DevilDog

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #9  
You are in good company as this an often asked question. We have several tractors with both, one even has turfs and it is a 72HP UT or AG depending on who you ask. In mud or really soft, tilled ground, the AG will work better, otherwise the R4s work fine for us and we have a bit over 200 acres in woods along with hills and flat ground.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #10  
You would have to pay me a significant amount to put R1s on my tractor. R4s are way better for mowing and loader work. Tilling doesn't require much traction even turfs would work. I don't like making a huge mess in the mud, so my tractor stays parked in such conditions. R4s are more puncture resident if you plan on bush hogging brush. I could live with r1s on the back, but the narrow r1s suck on th front. I have turfs on my b7100. They do better then people will lead you to believe in mud because the 20 inch wide back tires on a 1300 pound tractor float over most of the firmer mud. In sloppy mud they aren't great, but I don't need to mow where there is sloppy mud.