NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP?

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #21  
James summed it up very well. I'll add that since you didn't mention any pulling type work, I think you'll be happy with the R4s. Tilling (I assume rototilling) will be fine with R4s. R4s are better for loader work, and mowing (unless you start to sink, in which case it's too wet to be mowing), they are also more puncture resistant, which is nice in the woods. Personally, I love my R1s. I have two CUTs one that probably weighs 6000lbs with the loader on, and one that weighs about 3300lbs with ballast and front weights. The bigger machine has R1s, and it's not even comparable the difference in what these tractors will pull. Yes, it's an apples to oranges comparison, but the more aggressive tread pattern is a part of the equation for one being much much more powerful putting power to the ground. Unless you are going to be skidding logs or pulling a disc or a plow, neither of which you mention, I think you'll be fine with R4s. Also, as mentioned, chains will work too. They're not great for dirt work, but for skidding logs out of the woods, chains on R4s is probably the best way to go. R1s still might give you more traction, but they aren't as durable.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #22  
R1 tires are optimized for forward traction in dirt and mud. So they would be preferable for ground engagement work, row cropping, and use in muddy conditions where you need forward traction.

R4 tires are focused on handling loads and general durability -- they are a construction/industrial tire. The don't have the forward traction of an R1, but they can handle loads better and are a lot more puncture resistant. They also have more surface area and are less likely to create ruts (but they are in no way a turf tire). If you do a lot of heavy lifting work with a front loader, R4 tires would be the best option.

I do a lot of work in the woods lifting and skidding logs (in minor muddy conditions on occasion), and R4 tires have been fine. The general durability and load handling capacity is a plus in my opinion.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #23  
In earlier days of TBN there were some lengthy discussions about Michelin's Ag/Industrial tire line, which has tires with an R4 type carcass but R1 style treads... offering R1 level traction with the flotation and durability of an R4. As I recall, the problems were cost, front wheel clearance when turning, and finding front/rear sizes from Michelin that would work with the 4wd gearing in the tractor. I think at least a couple of guys got it sorted out and had some good results with their tractors.

Perhaps it's a bit off-topic, but is that all lost history, or has anyone looked into something like that more recently? I'd bet there would be a market for such tires sized to fit compact tractors even if they cost somewhat more than the standard R1's or R4's.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #24  
Depends on the tractor. Quite a few now have fenders that are a tight fit on R4s and chains simply won't squeeze in between.

Normally you can swap R-4's side to side (can't just reverse them as they're uni-directional) if there's enough hub offset to justify it. Otherwise, spacers will work.
Also, some tractor fenders can be shifted upward for adequate clearance.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #25  
The only time R4 might not work so well, in my case, is clearing snow from the driveway. Otherwise, my M6040 weighs 9865 lbs - has loaded R1's - and will do substantial damage if I'm not very careful driving across my yard/lawns.

If you need additional traction - chains will probably give as much added traction as having R1's.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #26  
The only time R4 might not work so well, in my case, is clearing snow from the driveway.

That's true...never got stuck with Turfs, but I have with R-4s.
Chains will do the job with R-4 tires, but I'd also consider siping the tires. Siping is a warm weather job, BTW!

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP?
Thanks for the info everyone. I decided to have the tractor picked up and taken in to have the R1 put on it at a substantial cost but since traction is pretty important in my world I figure it was worth doing.
Thanks again!