NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP?

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #11  
Unless using it on your lawn R1s are better. I have tractors with both.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #12  
I've found once R4's load up w/mud hard to get traction...loader and mowing work,R4's work well pushing snow and better ride.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #13  
You can always throw some chains on your R4s.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #14  

Yep, and most chains are more effective when mounted on R4's vs. when mounted on R1's as they dont fall so deep into the lugs. There are some types of chains that can and do work well with R1's. On snow and especially ice, a tractor with R4's and chains will be far more effective than any R1 without chains. You can take that to the bank.

Here is the truth about the 3 common tire types, Each type has strong points and weak points. If there were a "best" tire, all tractors would come with just that type. There is NO best type. Never has been, and never will be. When they make the "best" type of tire, I want of set of them. If you include the 4th type of tire in the mix the R2 (rice and canes) it is "best" for its application also. When people come on the forum and ask for the best tire, it is a fruitless, meaningless search. The real question is What is the best tire for my particular usage, and soil conditions. This is so specific that what might be the most advantage for you conditions would be pure trash for your next door neighbor that might have wetter ground, or different needs.

Many people choose R4 tires because they are the most "in the middle" compromise tire for traction, better traction generally than turf R3 tires, but less generally than Ag R1 tires, and offer the advantage of greater load carrying ability and greatest puncture resistance of the 3 common types. Hardly anyone chooses R2 rice and cane tires, because very few folks need to get around in their rice paddy's But IF you do, then they are what you want.:)

I hope this helped some.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #15  
Yep, and most chains are more effective when mounted on R4's vs. when mounted on R1's as they dont fall so deep into the lugs. There are some types of chains that can and do work well with R1's. On snow and especially ice, a tractor with R4's and chains will be far more effective than any R1 without chains. You can take that to the bank.

Here is the truth about the 3 common tire types, Each type has strong points and weak points. If there were a "best" tire, all tractors would come with just that type. There is NO best type. Never has been, and never will be. When they make the "best" type of tire, I want of set of them. If you include the 4th type of tire in the mix the R2 (rice and canes) it is "best" for its application also. When people come on the forum and ask for the best tire, it is a fruitless, meaningless search. The real question is What is the best tire for my particular usage, and soil conditions. This is so specific that what might be the most advantage for you conditions would be pure trash for your next door neighbor that might have wetter ground, or different needs.

Many people choose R4 tires because they are the most "in the middle" compromise tire for traction, better traction generally than turf R3 tires, but less generally than Ag R1 tires, and offer the advantage of greater load carrying ability and greatest puncture resistance of the 3 common types. Hardly anyone chooses R2 rice and cane tires, because very few folks need to get around in their rice paddy's But IF you do, then they are what you want.:)

I hope this helped some.
Gold medal right there, end of discussion? !

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #16  

Depends on the tractor. Quite a few now have fenders that are a tight fit on R4s and chains simply won't squeeze in between.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #17  
I'd want R1s for that work. But a tractor on R4s is better than no tractor at all.

Enjoy your tractor, depending on when you work and how often, you might not notice an issue with R4s anyways.

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #18  
The cheaper route to increase tractor on R4's is either load you tractor tire with fluid / weights. Add chains. Or what some people do to increase traction on snow / grass is to sipe / groove the R4's. Grooving seems less helpful in the muddy conditions where sipes fill with mud, still need R1's for that.

Refer here to what it looks like:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/tires/233050-trying-tire-grooving-next-mod.html

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #19  
My tractor skids logs that weigh as much as 1/2 it's weight and pulls nearly, if not equal to it's weight in firewood loaded on a trailer with a woodsplitter in tow up two steep inclines (someday I'll remember to turn on the inclinometer app on my phone and measure the angle :rolleyes: ). It is not uncommon for all four tires to be slipping with the diff lock engaged as it inches up those hills even when it's dry, this fall / winter it's been muddy more often than not. The 90/10 or 80/20 rule doesn't apply, it needs to make it up those inclines every time. I just placed an order for new R1s for the front, R1s or bust ;)

/ NEW TRACTOR WITH R4 TIRES - DID I SCREW UP? #20  

I hope this helped some.

:thumbsup::thumbsup: