New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ??

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #41  
WalMart just purchased Vizio.
Google Tv. Amazon Fire. Walmart TV. These are all avenues to farm and market information. I will be interested to see how advertising and streaming play into the plans for Vizio
Mine isn't a so-called smart tv, just a regular one so no data collection. We use a Roku, which just updated their terms of service that you had to agree to in order to continue using it. 🤬 Like most people I didn't read the whole agreement...it was very difficult to read, not much contrast between background and lettering, I'm sure intentionally and most of the changes not to my benefit. Think I'll re-check all the security settings.
It’s the central room. Kitchen, dining, wood stove living room and my work space(office was supposed to be mine
OK, got it, had thought it was a standalone room.
I don't get new cars, or new TV's for a real long time. So, I didn't want a TV that was going to be real obsolete soon.
How does a tv become obsolete? I'd imagine the smart tvs can be updated.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #42  
How does a tv become obsolete? I'd imagine the smart tvs can be updated.
The same way an ipad becomes obsolete.

Yes, the operating system can and will be updated, for a period of time. Most of these updates won't mean much, as far as the Tv is concerned. They often are done to try and get you interested in watching things they have a vested interest in, or to add advertising to your screen saver. Eventually they will stop supporting it.

But, for example, the screen technology improves from time to time, generating a better, brighter picture. That's not upgrade-able.

You can now get 8k resolution fairly commonly. That's not an add on. 8k is of course, better. But, it's currently not being used. What's good about it is, this requires the Tv to have a faster processor, because the 8k files are much bigger. And, if the Tv has good up-scaling, you can get better, smother video, at the lower more common HD, and 4k resolutions. If the 8k standard ever does take off, you will be ready.

My Sony is 4k. And, though I rarely use the 4k, That processor gives me remarkable picture quality, i.e. No blurry, or pixled video, during fast action, when watching football. And, the up-scaler in the processor makes even old video, shockingly detailed compared to what we were used to when it was originally shown. Did you know, Uncle Joe on Petticoat Junction, had liver spots on his forehead? And, no it's not all been remastered, in HD. It is often that much different on a good Tv.

And, the truth is, the vast majority of people can't see the difference, or they really don't care. So, a $500 Tv is perfect for them.

If you are unable to "calibrate" a television, (adjust the setting for optimum results), you may not ever get it set up to give you the best picture it can. This also needs to be done separately for each input the Tv has, to get the best results.

There are forums on the internet, that owners of the better Tv's discuss how they adjusted theirs for the best quality. And, they will give you their settings. These are often good starting points. The Geek squad also does in home calibrations, if you want to pay someone like the rich do.

Don't worry though, the last few new Tv's I did for people, were amazingly easy to set up, and looked very good at the factory settings. They also had multiple picture options to try. And, you can always revert to those factory settings, if you get lost, playing with it.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #43  
Hard to beat Best Buy.

They also usually have the most knowledgeable sales staff, at least in my area.

When I bought the big dollar TV in my man cave, the guy I dealt with asked me a lot of questions, and gave me all the answers. Showed me models, I wasn't even considering.

My experience with Best Buy has been just the opposite. Sales staff doesn't want to be bothered. There was a Sony camera I was interested in buying so I stopped at a Best Buy to get a first-hand look and see how it fit my hands. On their web site it stated the camera was in stock - but it was not on display in the store. So I cornered a sales person and asked about it. And was told that yes, they did have it in stock but it was "in the back" and they would not bring it out and let me handle it unless I agreed beforehand to buy the camera.

I walked out.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #44  
My experience with Best Buy has been just the opposite. Sales staff doesn't want to be bothered. There was a Sony camera I was interested in buying so I stopped at a Best Buy to get a first-hand look and see how it fit my hands. On their web site it stated the camera was in stock - but it was not on display in the store. So I cornered a sales person and asked about it. And was told that yes, they did have it in stock but it was "in the back" and they would not bring it out and let me handle it unless I agreed beforehand to buy the camera.

I walked out.
That's the world we live in.

Lots of people who don't give a flip, and businesses who can't find people to fill their job openings.

Even Chic-fil-A, who probably does a better job at customer service, that anyone, can't do it 100% of the time.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #45  
TVs have become ridiculously inexpensive.
I've been buying from a local independent since I started buying my own electronics.
Might be a little bit more, but I walk in and they know me and answer all my questions.
When the new at the time plasma TVs first came in they had a customer who was terminal with cancer. He loved movies and wanted the biggest possible screen. Cost didn't matter to him. They got him a 120 inch. They had to go into his house to make sure his floors could handle the weight and that they could get it in. They ran an electrical circuit just for the TV and it's cooling unit.
Cost over a $125K.
Couple years ago I bought a 120 inch for just over $6K. Regular electrical circuit. Need 2 guys to move, partly weight, partly size and awkward.
You can buy a beauty 65-75 inch for $1.5K.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ??
For soundbars and rear speaker(s) we went with Sonos 5 years ago and while they are a bit more $ they play well together.

When we built a patio room last year i bought used Playbar and Move (portable speaker you can sit behind/near you).

You can find a Sonos playbar for $200 and Sonos move speaker for $200 and that would work well for your setup.

I was looking at the Sonos. The “move” seems like a decent solution but the new model is “tree-fiddy”.
I tried to pair my airpods but the TV never saw them. I’ll do some reading and try it again.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #47  
Sonos Playbar are around $200 on ebay and Move Gen 1 are $150 on ebay and only buy ones that offer returns - you can save a lot. I like them as they work as a system and you can set up rooms - indoor - outdoor and control them with the app

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #48  
That's been my experience as well. The nearest one to me is about 2 hours away, but one time when we were in the neighborhood anyway I stopped in to check out car stereos. Pitifully small selection, and many of those on display were out of stock. Salesman seemed to be just winging it on any questions I asked.
Couple years ago I bought a 120 inch for just over $6K. Regular electrical circuit. Need 2 guys to move, partly weight, partly size and awkward.
You can buy a beauty 65-75 inch for $1.5K.
Didn't know they made them that big. Ours is a 40 I think and it's about as big as you'd want to put in our room. We might watch a couple hours a day tops, in the summer considerably less.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ?? #49  
Didn't know they made them that big. Ours is a 40 I think and it's about as big as you'd want to put in our room. We might watch a couple hours a day tops, in the summer considerably less.
it was a special purchase from the company. Helps to know someone.
It's in my rec room that is 24-6 by 34.
It's still big.

/ New TV. Purchase and delivery, Who to buy from ??
I’ve had a bit more time to enjoy it. Watched a few episodes of 1883 with my daughter, and I watched the Masters of the Air series. A lot more tv (movies, etc) than I usually watch but it was nice. The ariel combat scenes were amazing. I’m holding off on the soundbar till I get my goat barn built
giphy.gif