New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #11  
Check the resale value on John Deere v.s. ANY other brand. Green may cost a little more up front but is worth it in the long run.

Around here, a few tightwads use Kubota and MF tractors and Vermeer balers.

REAL farmers use John Deere......

BTW, I was IH red for 38 years before becoming green 20 years ago. When Case bought out IH, I went green

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #12  
johndeerefarmer said:
Check the resale value on John Deere v.s. ANY other brand. Green may cost a little more up front but is worth it in the long run.

BTW, I was IH red for 38 years before becoming green 20 years ago. When Case bought out IH, I went green

Care to share with all of us tightwad farmers out here why the JD 458 is better than the Vermy 5410? Looking for specifics, not just the old "pay more better resale"" green is the best" "etc etc" excuses.

KB

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #13  
I see more NH balers out there than JD, pulled by a variety of different makes of tractor, including JD.

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #14  
johndeerefarmer said:

green gives you grief, ill give you tight wad and kubota. drive one and own one before you open your mouth. you like jd, i dont, wouldnt pee on it if it where burning. get the green blinklers off and look about. oh and as for baler get a Krone, no belts so no damage due to sticks, i baled a steel post once, open door, remove bale and get back into it. i'd like to see a comparison between your jd set up and my cheap kubota M125x with a krone VP1500 in a big paddock of haylage. money is krone makes better bales faster.
vermeer balers are ok but i wouldn't buy belts again.

Last edited:
   / New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #15  
johndeerefarmer said:

I just can't leave this one alone......

"REAL FARMERS" use what makes the best business sense. If that happens to be a John Deere piece, then that's the pick. But anyone who buys "green" just because it's green is out of his or her flippin' mind. I currently own some Deere equipment. (Tractor, baler, planter, plow, lawn mower) In the past, I've owned 2 more Deere tractors, a combine, grain drill, and a couple disc's. I've had enough Deere experience to speak with a qualified opinion. A couple Deere items I own are top shelf stuff. A few "green" pieces I've owned were j.u.n.k. They're no different than any other brand in that regard. Some good/some not-so-good ideas. Marketing genious and a liberal finance dept. have brainwashed too many of you guys.

If you do indeed buy ONLY John Deere equipment without giving any look to other brands, I'd say you've been quite lucky to stay in business. Poor (or complete lack of) skills in the business managment end of farming has put more farmers on the sidelines than all the bad weather, low commodity prices, and foreign competition combined.

That age old arguement on "resale value" is pure bunk. (And generally the only rationalization Greenies have for why they bought overpriced equipment) If you have to PAY more initially, higher "resale value" is just smoke and mirrors. It's the "economy" of operation, combined with dependable and productive use WHILE YOU OWN IT that makes or breaks the deal. Pay too much, get a "high resale value" when you sell it, then take that money and go buy ANOTHER over-priced piece, and what have you gained? NOTHING.... All you've done is trade dollar for dollar and tied up more operating capital. And that's NOT how you go about running a successful operation.

After farming for more than 35 years myself, I can attest to one FACT. It's NOT the amount of "green" in the equipment shed, but the amount of "green" in my bank account that gauges my success. And from what I've seen over the years, you can have one or the other, but seldom BOTH at the same time. Resale value is fine IF....IF you sell out every time you need more money. I'm more interested in KEEPING my equipment and actually MAKING MONEY WITH IT while I own it, NOT using it for a couple seasons and pawning it to buy something else.

Last edited:
   / New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #16  
hey its funny how a post can start out all sensible and be hijacked by a silly comment. a smart person never rules anything out until it has been investigated, all the facts gathered and they make up there own mind. not just buy on brand alone, sooner or later you will end up with a substandard product purchase. but i suppose that dosent matter because if you never look at anything else you wont know will you. except when the next guy does it in half the time with a better result and lower purchase price. resale value is important, especially when you go broke and have to sell out..............

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #17  
ozzie tractor said:
hey its funny how a post can start out all sensible and be hijacked by a silly comment. a smart person never rules anything out until it has been investigated, all the facts gathered and they make up there own mind. not just buy on brand alone, sooner or later you will end up with a substandard product purchase. but i suppose that dosent matter because if you never look at anything else you wont know will you. except when the next guy does it in half the time with a better result and lower purchase price. resale value is important, especially when you go broke and have to sell out..............

My father taught me a lot. The most important aspect of farming, or running any business for that matter, is MAKING MONEY. Not trading dollars, not having a huge cash flow, not having a false sense of pride in what color you have backed into the tractor shed. His favorite saying was "It's not what you make, it's what you save that counts". It's about feeding your family and building a solid future for yourself. That means making EVERY decision based on facts, not image. I'm not downing Deere. They build some fine equipment. They also build some "average" equipment that coincidentally sells at the high end of the price spectrum. What my father taught me was the best piece of equipment a successful farmer could own is a good head for business. And so far as I know, Deere doesn't sell common sense. (Although, they do seem to have a knack for taking common sense away from a few people. ;) )

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #18  
My Father told me: Never argue with folks on the far left or far right of the political spectrum or anyone who buys equipment for its color. They have no common sense or ability to think critically and won't listen to anyone else anyway.

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #19  
Dad's, they're great aren't they! I remember my dad telling a story once about a man that came into a garage he was running and renting the tire machine to change a tire. It used to be common atleast here to rent the machine for a few minutes instead of paying the mechanic to do the work. This particular fellow wrestled with the tire and machine for almost 30 minutes before finally saying "help me". My dad calmly told him "no". When the man asked him why he replied "you are trying to put a 14" tire on a 15" rim and it won't work". The man said, why did you wait until now to tell me? He replied "because now you will listen"!
What's my point? Someone who has the attitude nothing can ever be better than a certain color or brand won't listen until they "wrestle with it for a while". Some folks have outstanding relationships with certain dealers and that can be a positive thing so long as they keep an open mind.

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #20  
Yeah- this definitely got off the original subject. As my name implies- I like the green paint. I think JD has got some lines of equipment out there that they shouldn't be into (Frontier and the Buck ATV, are a few). They want to compete in every market and unfortunately don't do very well, imagine if Stihl starting making CUT's? One of the main reasons I like the green paint is it does hold its value, I haven't had to sell anything, but in case of foreclosure or death- wouldn't you want your widow and family to get the most at the sale for well cared for machinery?? Most (60's-70's) 20 series tractors are getting today what they sold for new- that sounds like a good investment to me! One more thing about JD- you can go the their website and order parts and then check dealer inventory to see if they have them, I know I pay for each time I buy a part- but it is VERY handy!!

Back on the Vermeer subject- I will be shopping for a tedder and round baler in the spring and am looking into Vermeer and a few others (not green). I like the Vermeer but our local dealer is 1.5 hour away, and 2 different New Holland dealers are 45 minutes away. Sounds like I may not need parts for a Vermeer?? LOL.