New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #21  
deereguy said:
Yeah- this definitely got off the original subject. As my name implies- I like the green paint. I think JD has got some lines of equipment out there that they shouldn't be into (Frontier and the Buck ATV, are a few). They want to compete in every market and unfortunately don't do very well, imagine if Stihl starting making CUT's? One of the main reasons I like the green paint is it does hold its value, I haven't had to sell anything, but in case of foreclosure or death- wouldn't you want your widow and family to get the most at the sale for well cared for machinery?? Most (60's-70's) 20 series tractors are getting today what they sold for new- that sounds like a good investment to me! One more thing about JD- you can go the their website and order parts and then check dealer inventory to see if they have them, I know I pay for each time I buy a part- but it is VERY handy!!

Back on the Vermeer subject- I will be shopping for a tedder and round baler in the spring and am looking into Vermeer and a few others (not green). I like the Vermeer but our local dealer is 1.5 hour away, and 2 different New Holland dealers are 45 minutes away. Sounds like I may not need parts for a Vermeer?? LOL.

I don't want anyone to get the wrong impression. I like a lot of what Deere has to offer. I've owned a 40 series and a 50 series. Still own the 2440. It's worth more than original purchase price. 4250 sold @ 12 years old for new price. BUT! That's not totally exclusive to Deere. I've got a couple other tractors from MF and Ford that would sell in minutes for well over original price. Granted, Deere's CONSISTANTLY sell higher on the used market, especially in bigger sized tractors. On combines, Deere takes a beating just like everyone else when they get used up.

My point is, when it comes to used value, Deere isn't all that different than products from their competition. A LOT of hype goes into their "program".

It just gets me all cranked up when I hear one of those folks who's blood runs green. There isn't even the slightest chance of one brand being #1 at everything, every time.

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #22  
I'm not sure buying equipment based on their color or their website is justified.

I do know that from the round balers I've seen around here Vermeer outnumbers all others combined by at least 10 to 1. They're always out busy bailing and running without a problem. I have never seen a JD baler except at the dealer, sitting still, with a big price sticker on it.

I like Kubota tractors. But I don't have any problem with any of the other big 3 or 4 or the people that use them. I favor Kubota because my dealer is very good to me, very approachable, and helpful at a moments notice. As far as what implements I consider, I look at what makes the most sense and allows me to spend the least cents.;)

Just about every piece of equipment/implement that I want/need is made by a different manufacturer!! Kubota tractor, Quicke loader, Woods post hole digger, Rhino mower, Herd seeder, White plow, Athens disc harrow, Curtis snowplow, Country Mfg. trailer, Vermeer Rebel 5410 round baler, John Deere coffee mug and mailbox, etc, etc, etc.

Last edited:
   / New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #23  
The Cult of the Gallopping Goat has taken many minds...
It is said that it has something to do with this Green beer they serve at cult meetings.. ???

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #24  
jwcinpk said:
Dad's, they're great aren't they! I remember my dad telling a story once about a man that came into a garage he was running and renting the tire machine to change a tire. It used to be common atleast here to rent the machine for a few minutes instead of paying the mechanic to do the work. This particular fellow wrestled with the tire and machine for almost 30 minutes before finally saying "help me". My dad calmly told him "no". When the man asked him why he replied "you are trying to put a 14" tire on a 15" rim and it won't work". The man said, why did you wait until now to tell me? He replied "because now you will listen"!
What's my point? Someone who has the attitude nothing can ever be better than a certain color or brand won't listen until they "wrestle with it for a while". Some folks have outstanding relationships with certain dealers and that can be a positive thing so long as they keep an open mind.

Young couple buys farm. Young man can't get baler to work. Goes to old farmer next farm over and asks for help. Old man comes, looks, gets hammer and hits baler, says try it now. It worked. Old man says that'll be 50 bucks. Young man said, but all you did was hit it with a hammer. Old man says, yes, but I knew where to hit it.

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #25  
I saw this baler profiled briefly on an ag show and would like more info esp the 1st hand kind. My questions:

1) Is anyone using it w/ wrap? How is that working out? Also does std off the shelf wrap work or are you required to use Vermeers product? Does it wrap over the edge or just to the edge?

2) Is the tie/wrap hydraulic or electric?

3) Does the baler require tractor hydraulics and if so how many?

4) Does the baler require electric from the tractor?

5) IIRC the bale size can be variable. Is this the case using both monitor and hand held controller?

6) In order to operate the baler is a monitor or hand held controller required? If so I assume the hand held is std equipment? Does the pig tail for the hand held controller long enough to reach into the tractors operator area?

7) What extra operating (vs monitoring) functions does the monitor provide?

8) Is this baler targeted more toward the individual operator market is it built heavy enough to be used in a custom baling operation?

9) Is there on baler storage for extra rolls of wrap and/or twine?

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler
jimg said:
I saw this baler profiled briefly on an ag show and would like more info esp the 1st hand kind. My questions:

1) Is anyone using it w/ wrap? How is that working out? Also does std off the shelf wrap work or are you required to use Vermeers product? Does it wrap over the edge or just to the edge? You can use any MFG net wrap with a Vermeer.

2) Is the tie/wrap hydraulic or electric? Electric

3) Does the baler require tractor hydraulics and if so how many? One set of couplers to open the gate.

4) Does the baler require electric from the tractor? You either have a monitor or manual twine/net controller.

5) IIRC the bale size can be variable. Is this the case using both monitor and hand held controller? Bales can be ties or wrapped at any size from 5' down with either controller.

6) In order to operate the baler is a monitor or hand held controller required? If so I assume the hand held is std equipment? YES Does the pig tail for the hand held controller long enough to reach into the tractors operator area? YES

7) What extra operating (vs monitoring) functions does the monitor provide? AUTO tie all the bales the same.

8) Is this baler targeted more toward the individual operator market is it built heavy enough to be used in a custom baling operation? The Vermeer 5410 weights 4700 Lbs. We have customers baling 5000-6000 bale a year with no problems. We have traded for 5400 Rebel balers with 70,000 bales on them and they fine and have hundreds of thousands of bales left in their life. Just remember you do not have to worry about replacing worn traction belts on a Vermeer baler. Vermeer balers have direct feed pickups and a large bottom drum roller that starts and caries the bale rolling.

9) Is there on baler storage for extra rolls of wrap and/or twine? YES the baler has storage for an extra full size roll.
The Vermeer rebel balers have the exact same net-wrap's the the M series has. You can order the baler with net only, both or twine only. If you want to bale haylage with the standard baler the do so. It will bale haylage without a problem.
Rebel5410.jpg

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #27  
CCI, what does a new 5410 with just twine and the manual control run? How much extra for the net and monitor?

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler
CumminsLuke said:
CCI, what does a new 5410 with just twine and the manual control run? How much extra for the net and monitor?
I sent you a PM with the pricing. Vermeer does not want any public display of pricing unless it is the MFG's suggested List price.

The Hay DR

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #29  
my monitor is stuck on pause wont count bales or give me a reading on size as i gather all i can do is push start and move tie arm manually im showing a lock how can i reset the hole monitor its a v bale expert on a2012 5410rebel

/ New Vermeer 5410 Rebel Baler #30  
how do i reset my v bale monitor back to factory