Newbie looking to buy

/ Newbie looking to buy #1  

RBinGA

Tractor
None
I just built a new home on 60 acres and have two family members that have 78 acres beside me. Most is wooded with trail system throughout, and about 20 acres require bush hog.

Plan is to clear a lot of thick brush/underbrush, maintain the network of trails, significant amount of landscaping work between road and house, and will plant a .25 acre garden.

A neighbor suggested a 50 HP and recommended JD out Kubota (reason was they are his favorites).

would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations. I am not mechanically inclined so thinking new would be better than used.

/ Newbie looking to buy #2  
My thoughts are right here:

/ Newbie looking to buy #3  
It seems likely your land is in Georgia.

Consider my well cared for Kubota L3560 which is listed as 'For Sale' on T-B-N:

A neighbor suggested 50 HP.

The fundamental importance of TRACTOR WEIGHT eludes many tractor shoppers.

Last edited:
   / Newbie looking to buy #4  
I put JD and Kubota at the top of my list. Partly because I think they are the best but they are also the only dealers near me. There are lots of other good tractor makers also. It’s hard for me to say on size. It’s common people to buy to small but to big can be bad also if you need something smaller and maneuverable.

/ Newbie looking to buy #5  
Last edited:
   / Newbie looking to buy #6  
Basically, your neighbor's advice would be more realistic than anyone here can provide since he knows the terrain and conditions you would be working in.

Buying new, if you can afford it, is never a bad choice.

/ Newbie looking to buy #7  
Kioti is up to #3 in US CUT sales. They might be worth a look. One of the more important things to consider is, however, the Dealer. That matters.

IMO, it matters less with the Top 3. Deere is really good with their Dealers but, hoo-boy, do you ever pay for it. Kubota is always good but they're getting almost as bad as Deere. And Kioti is far from perfect but they're worth considering. Dealer matters, though.

LS had it going on but they've stumbled a bit. So many others are trying, really hard, to fill the gaps being left by the Big Boys but............

/ Newbie looking to buy #8  
There isn't enough information here to provide much specific guidance. For example, a cab tractor with a 10' cutter might be ideal for open fields, but likely isn't a good choice for working in narrow woods areas. You also haven't stated a budget.

/ Newbie looking to buy #9  
Looks like you are new. Welcome to the forum. There are many brands and features on tractors. Which one I like (or your neighbor) doesn't matter much. Cost, Features, dealer service, dealer location, and dealers ability and desire to work with customers regarding parts, problem information when you call, and dealer interest it helping customers all mater a LOT. I also like 50 hp. But that may not be what you need. You must consider your needs then a tractor which meets the requirements of those needs. Again, Welcome.

/ Newbie looking to buy #10  
More information about what you specifically want to accomplish would make for a more informed discussion.

Specifically, you say you want to clear brush. Well, there's some brush that you can cut with a tractor and brush cutter, but there comes a point say maybe 1.5" saplings, that you need to move up to skid steer with a heavy duty cutter or even mulcher. Or maybe you need a dozer. It depends on what you're having to deal with.