newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT?

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #21  
Robert I have to disagree with you about the 5000 series. I think the not so good rep was from the earlier 5000's. Deere has made that tractor twice what it was when they first came out with the 00 series. Then they went to the 10 series and now they are on the 20 series. Many improvements in that tractor over the last 13 years. The cab alone that they used to put on was basically a box. Now it's as nice as any vehicle I've ever owned and very quiet.

I do agree that any of the NH you mentioned would do a fine job as well.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #22  
I have no doubts that the 20 series is better then the earlier 5000 series but I have never seen a 5020 series in the grape fields or farmers fields yet. JD has to work hard to win back the vineyard farmers around here and so far I don't see the 5020's doing that yet. There are a lot of farmers buying new equipment around here and I am starting to see more Masseys on traditional JD farms. Notice though, I did not ever say they were bad machines, they just were not the best on the market and it is going to take some time to get their sales back in that hp range. As for the cabs, they are nice and roomy. There are only a few cabless tractors in the vineyards here and they are the old JD's and Fords from the pre cab days on narrow tractors. Now everyone gets the narrow tractors with cabs for running the sprayers.

Of all the new JD's I see in this area they are mostly the 4000's and 6000's and up. I would be curious to see JD's sales figures on their lineup and see how the 5020 series is selling around the country.
Take care.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #23  
You might consider getting two tractors, one very large older tractor for bushhogging duty (the JD 4010 and 4020 comes to mind) and a smaller newer tractor for earthmoving capabilities. It seems to me you only need the extra HP for mowing duties, the other chores might be taken care of just fine with a 30-40 hp compact tractor with hydrostat and other niceties.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #24  
Aaahhhh..........the 5020s are only assembled in the USA. As the Deere spin-doctors put it"Assembled in the USA from parts sourced World-Wide" The engines in them are Hecho en Mexico!!

The only Deeres actually built in the USA from now on will be the larger 7020s (7220-7520 moving to Mannheim) 8020s and bend-in-the-middles.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #25  
do you have a reference for that woodbeef? I was told from a couple engineers and from numerous salesman that isn't the case with the upper end 5000's and up.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #26  
Yup,just look at the parts on them,and where they are made. used to be on their site,and I think it's in the brochures at one time too. You're Deere faithful,they do not like telling you about those things unless you put them on the spot. It's just like the 2000 series that Zetor built for Deere in the 90s........most dyed in the green wool Deeroids deny it today.

The 5005/6003 also are Hecho en Mexico.

The 5003 comes from the joint venture with L&T in India.

In the future if they ever start production we might see some of the Turkish tractors made at Hattat/Deere,unless Deere buys Belarus(MTZ,LTZ) first.

Sorry,did not mean to burst your bubble,but I thought these facts were common knowledge.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #27  
I still disagree with you Woodbeef. You haven't said anything that disputes what deere and the dealers have to say. The dealers will even tell you that the compacts, the 03, etc. are not made here. They tell you exactly where they are made. There isn't anybody trying to hide anything. You are right about the 5003 and that's been brought up already. I also am not saying deere doesn't have alot of their stuff made by someone else and branded deere. I am talking about the upper end 5x20 series and the 6020 and 6015 series.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #28  
Like I said take a look at the parts on the 5020s especially the ones with plates on them and you'll see what I mean. Better yet go to GA and look at the shipping boxes for the components. As for the 6015/20s you'll see that they are built in Mannheim Germany,with the engines coming from Saran France.

Tell you what if you still have trouble believing me on this then go over to @g-Online and on Machinery Talk post a question. Title it "Where are the JD 5020 series manufactured at". Then in the message body ask if the whole tractor is built in the US,and if not where do the components come from!! www.agriculture.com

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #29  
Ah, America the melting pot of John Deere, too....
My neighbor (62 years old) had JD's since a kid, sold them a few years back when he heard about them being made all over, especially Mexico. He now has an old 8N and a Kubota.
He works 'em both a lot. When his Kubota was down for service, he even used my Iseki!

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #30  
Well you are mostly right Woodbeef. I contacted JD corporate and they just got back to me. They claim that with exception of the 5x03 series the rest of the 5x20 series and 6420 and 6415 are both assembled and a majority of the parts are made here in the US. The advance clutch, transmission, and engine on the 6420 and 6415 are made in Waterloo. They said some of the other parts are made in other countries and put on the assembly line here. He stated majority, but not all of the parts, are the same as the 7000 series. The 20 series engine is made in Germany like you said and the transmission is from Italy. He stated there are a number of parts that are US and foreign machined. The cab is made here as well. The 7000, 8000, and 9000 series are all made and mfg. 100% US in Waterloo, IA.