newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT?

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #42  
Woodbeef:

You are getting on Doc's bad side. Better be careful or he might come up there and bale you up!!!!

By the way, if either you or Doc want to come and help me, I'm getting ready to run 2nd cut. The alfalfa chocked out the Brohme grass so it's straight Vernal Alfalfa. No MoCo on this. I'm going to part the crimp rolls and just sickle it. We are looking at about 4K squares.

You guys can have your choice of tractors too. We have cab and non cab models for your choice in J.D., Kubota, IH and Massey. Of course, all cab models are air conditioned!!!

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #43  
Richard:

When you talk the steel business, you talk my business. JD as well as Kubota, Agco, GSI and Brock all buy steel from the company that I work for. 95% of the raw steel we buy is American made. 5% of the steel is imported. We do import speciality steels such as light gage galvanneal. The company I work for owns the only hot dip galvanizer in the eastern part of the United States.

The bulk of our steel comes from USS, NuCor, SDI, Weirton Steel, ISG and WCI. These are all American mills. NuCor and SDI are mini mills. The rest make steel from taconite (iron ore).

Brock and GSI buy Hot dip Galv and Galvalume for bins and grain systems. JD buys HRPO & HRPD for internal metal stampings and sheet metal. Kubota specifies us as a preferred supplier to the American companies manufacturing their implements and buckets.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #44  
Hey 5030,

Who me?????

You must be getting alot less rain then we are. Still having trouble putting three dry days together!!

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #45  
WV Dave:
Your situation is very similar to mine. I have about 500 acres with about 1/2 of it in rolling hills. Sometimes farm the hay, and other times try to cut it. I have a Mahindra 6000, rated 50 pto hp and 60 engine hp. I really wanted some additionl hp, but the 6500 was not out then. You need to decide how big of an rotary cutter you want to use and whether you want a 3pt, pull, or semi pull type set up. If you thinking 10' pull type cutter, then 50 pto is going to be at the low end of what is required. If your thinking 15' batwing, I think your going to need in the 75 hp range. When I bought my tractor I really was interested in the 5420 JD. Can't remember exactly now, but I think it is somewhere in the 65 hp range. Before that I owned two other JD tractors, a 970 and a 4500. Really like JD, but in my mind, after doing alot of investigation, decided the JD was just too much money. Yes, when I sold both my JD I got all of my investment back out of them. However, I now have a 60 hp tractor, fel, backhoe, all for about the price of the 5420 alone. With my 6000, I can pull my 3pt 6' cutter just about anywhere at a good pace without any problem. Most of my cutting is tall grass, that is thick and hard to cut. If you and your friends were smart enough to put together the purchase of 600 acres, surley you can see the wisdom in at least considering all the tractor options out there to make the right decision for you property. If spending the money on the JD or NH is the right one, then do it, but, and as many others have advised on this board, buy all the tractor you can. I'd rather be over hp than under.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #46  
Nucor is practically in my backyard. No real info here just sharing... /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Oh yes, The original poster's question. Buy the most hp you can afford and try on several makes, even if the brand is vetoed by others in the group. They may er... pull off the blinders.
At least you'll have more info on what's what. Just for fun, point out the i.d. tags that have foreign writing on the supposed "American" tractors. Luddites to the global market don't like that. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #47  
ScottAR:

NuCor has quite a few plants scattered through the United States. They manufacture structual as well as rolled bands. NuCor's prime directive is in the mini-mill and good community relations. Have you ever seen a cleaner steel mill?

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #48  
They have a good reputation, both as a place to work and in the community. Here last year, they donated several tons of slag to the FFA for their farm sale lot. Much nicer to walk on than ankle deep mud.

/ newbie recommendations for 50+hp 4wd UT? #49  
Mini-mills are much more enviromentally friendly than the old style mill that made steel from iron ore (taconite). Mini-mills remelt scrap steel in electric furnaces and continuous cast a slab of molten steel and then roll it iinto steel bands (that's what those big rolls of steel are called). Mini-mills can control the chemistry of the steel very closely by the addition of various amounts of metals in the melt process.

You still need the mills that make steel from taconite, however. Most of those are located in the Gary Indiania or Detroit Michigan area. Even these mills with the proper pollution controls are pretty clean and produce less emissions now.

An interesting note here and one that people probably aren't aware of is the Thyssen-Krupp, who is one of the largest suppliers of steel to the automotive industry for exterior panels (cabinet grade steel) such as doors and fenders, IMPORTS all their steel. Thyssen-Krupp does not process any domestic steel. Rather they import steel from Germany. It comes in on ocean going boats in the form of "can coils". A can coil is a coil of steel bands that is incased in an outer layer of protective wax coated paper and then overwrapped with another layer of galvanized light gage steel.

On the subject of Thyssen-Krupp, The Krupp in the equation is the same company that in WW 2, made the ovens that incenerated the Jews at Auschewitz, Germany. How the world turns..