No more arc welding

/ No more arc welding #61  
BobRip said:
Thanks Barry. I will give them a call and see if this has been used for Pace Makers. I could put this on the back and/or front of my leather welding vest.
Not sure of what you are prepared to spend, but if this material works, maybe you could have a leather worker or a Tailor custom make you something with this material sewn into or in between the layers, in the form of a vest or apron of some kind to make it more comfortable to wear. In any case I would be curious to know what you find out. :eek:

Last edited:
   / No more arc welding #62  
Gravy said:
The arc itself is probably a dandy source of electromagnetic radiation/radio frequency interference. I seem to recall reading a reference to "spark transmitter radio".

There are tiny OA torches made specifically for welding thin materials. Here's an example from McMaster: Part# 7932A12.

Oops- gotta get back to work...

Gravy
He is right on the money. In my opinion the biggerst danger is the arc itself. The arc is a very good source for a High Frequency transmitter granted low power but you are going to be very close to it. The Frequency will be all over the place so would be very hard ( pretty well imposible) to shied against. As the RF generated by the arc crosses the leads to the pacemaker it would generate a voltage. This voltage might be high enough to damage the pacemaker and I would imagine at the least would be a problem for syncing the pacemaker to your heart beat. The bottom line for me is that I think you are taking the right attitude by not arc welding. The guy that does it and gets by with it might just be living on borrowed time.

/ No more arc welding #63  
gemini5362 said:
He is right on the money. In my opinion the biggerst danger is the arc itself. The arc is a very good source for a High Frequency transmitter granted low power but you are going to be very close to it. The Frequency will be all over the place so would be very hard ( pretty well imposible) to shied against. As the RF generated by the arc crosses the leads to the pacemaker it would generate a voltage. This voltage might be high enough to damage the pacemaker and I would imagine at the least would be a problem for syncing the pacemaker to your heart beat. The bottom line for me is that I think you are taking the right attitude by not arc welding. The guy that does it and gets by with it might just be living on borrowed time.
As I said in my previous post. I wouldn't try this shielding with Arc Welding, but it might be good insurance for protecting yourself when working with regular power tools that could give off a low magnetic field.:cool:

/ No more arc welding
Barryh said:
As I said in my previous post. I wouldn't try this shielding with Arc Welding, but it might be good insurance for protecting yourself when working with regular power tools that could give off a low magnetic field.:cool:

Good points from all. I appreciate your concerns and suggestions.

/ No more arc welding #66  
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRip

Just think what we'd tell you if we didn't like you.
MossRoad said:
Just think what we'd tell you if we didn't like you. :eek::):D
We can only imagine.:D

/ No more arc welding
cqaigy2 said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRip

Just think what we'd tell you if we didn't like you.

We can only imagine.:D

Do I feel stupid. Today I was at a Blacksmith meeting and the guy next to me has a pacemaker. His runs pretty much full time and yet he is allowed to arc weld. I saw him make several welds today. I have never called the pacemaker company, just listened to the doctor. I call tonight (yes, Saturday, boy what good service) and basically they said it's OK to weld with a few minor restrictions. (wear gloves, not over 400 amps, do not wrap cord around you, pause 10 seconds between stops, place ground clamp near weld, and a few others). They are sending me an offical copy of this and hopefully it will be here by Monday. Boy am I happy!!!:D:D:D I have been welding with gas, but it is not as fast and does not work as well on thick metal.

/ No more arc welding
Really even better, I went into the family doctor for routine work last Wednesday and asked her why I was taking medication to lower blood pressure when I have never had high blood pressure. It is routinely prescribed when you have a heart attack, which I have not had. So I am off that, I am sleeping better and have more energy. What a win. It's been a great week.

/ No more arc welding
BobRip said:
Really even better, I went into the family doctor for routine work last Wednesday and asked her why I was taking medication to lower blood pressure when I have never had high blood pressure. It is routinely prescribed when you have a heart attack, which I have not had. So I am off that, I am sleeping better and have more energy. What a win. It's been a great week.

Hey these two incidents show the advantage of questioning your doctor and the medical system.