No more arc welding

/ No more arc welding #71  
Yes! Always ask WHY? when they tell you to do something. Not only do we get an education as to what's what, we also get to see if the doc knows why. ;)

/ No more arc welding
MossRoad said:
Yes! Always ask WHY? when they tell you to do something. Not only do we get an education as to what's what, we also get to see if the doc knows why. ;)

There are so many canned answers today, even if they don't have good data. We also need to ask "How do you know". "Where can I see the test protocol and test data". Many more questions should be asked. It is difficult to think of these questions whne you are in the hospital with an uncertain future.

/ No more arc welding
I welded together a hammer rack today. On last few sections I used the MIG welder and behold I am still alive. No problems encountered. Actually my gas welds look better than my mig welds, but the MIG was much faster.

/ No more arc welding #75  
BobRip said:
I welded together a hammer rack today. On last few sections I used the MIG welder and behold I am still alive. No problems encountered. Actually my gas welds look better than my mig welds, but the MIG was much faster.
congratulations to the new old weldor or welder however you prefer. now you're back in business.

/ No more arc welding #76  
I found this thread very very interesting. I'm sort of in the same boat, but I have an ICD, (Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator). Mine not only paces, but if things get too out of wack, it'll shock the heart back into rhythm. Sort like having little paramedics right there in your chest. :D I've had a shock a few times.. NOT FUN :eek: :( . But after reading this I'm going to call the manufacture and see what they say. Is it worth it? Not sure still need to learn more. They also caution about working on cars, engines etc. I've been around my tractor working on the ignition and so far so good. I use to worry that it would screw up and shock me, but they have built in protection that will just shut the thing down for a minute or two. Within reason of course.

Bob I'll be interested in how things go with your mig welding.
Keep us posted and show us more photos. Especially the torch welding.

Wedge

/ No more arc welding #77  
wedge40 said:
Sort like having little paramedics right there in your chest. :D I've had a shock a few times.. NOT FUN :eek: :( .

I've got to say that you guys sure do have great attitudes about this. :)

/ No more arc welding #78  
MossRoad said:
I've got to say that you guys sure do have great attitudes about this. :)
Want some lemon-aid?:D I'm pretty sure most people just learn to deal. The doctors do this so we can live a quality life. So I try to do the most to accommodate them.

Wedge

/ No more arc welding
wedge40 said:
Want some lemon-aid?:D I'm pretty sure most people just learn to deal. The doctors do this so we can live a quality life. So I try to do the most to accommodate them.

Wedge

Wedge, that is exactly my attitude. Most pacemakers are there to improve the quality of life. I could live without mine, but there would be issues, i.e. slow heart beat when I am asleep. I feel really good all most all of the time and am very thankful for the doctors, nurses, and engineers, etc. who make this medical technlogy possible. I told this to my caridac doctor and he said you will live longer if you live to the fullest. Please contact you pacer company (like you stated). Yours has defib and is more critical than mine.

/ No more arc welding #80  
BobRip said:
Wedge, that is exactly my attitude. Most pacemakers are there to improve the quality of life. I could live without mine, but there would be issues, i.e. slow heart beat when I am asleep. I feel really good all most all of the time and am very thankful for the doctors, nurses, and engineers, etc. who make this medical technlogy possible. I told this to my caridac doctor and he said you will live longer if you live to the fullest. Please contact you pacer company (like you stated). Yours has defib and is more critical than mine.
Don't worry Bob. After being dropped to my knees a couple of times I'm not going to take any chances. If I have to contract out my welding so be it.
But this sure beats the alternative - worm food.

Wedge