No more arc welding

/ No more arc welding #81  
Glad to hear that you are ok.

O/A is slower but simpler. Wind is going to blow you around. I built up an area with pieces of long tin to hide behind.
There are all sorts of books around. I like the Wall Mountain series of videos. The guys a hoot.
The one book that I have is Welding Principles and Applications by Jeffus. It's a pretty good book. Kinda pricey but great refrernce.

RC

/ No more arc welding #82  
Ummm...4 yr old thread.... :confused:

/ No more arc welding #83  
Tiny date fonts are a forum style choice which backfires often.

/ No more arc welding #84  
Since it has been revived, I have a comment.

I used to wear an "RF" suit when working on TV broadcast antennas.

One hundred thousand watts of RF will fry your fillings.

They are probably very expensive for a hobbyist, but necessary for a pro.

KW-GARD? RF Radiation Protective Suit

/ No more arc welding
Since it has been revived, I have a comment.

I used to wear an "RF" suit when working on TV broadcast antennas.

One hundred thousand watts of RF will fry your fillings.

They are probably very expensive for a hobbyist, but necessary for a pro.

KW-GARD? RF Radiation Protective Suit

Is anybody sure this would work with welding signals? How much are they?

/ No more arc welding #86  
No, I think everyone may have told you wrong, or at least not understood. You should not start or weld close to the welder with a pacemaker, but I have a friend with a pacemaker and you can still weld, but have to be a certain distance away from the welder while starting and welding, just like a microwave. Remote starters are avaliable, and the person I know has his wife start the welder for now for his protection. Yes, for fact, there are ways around this. Check into it, and don't let it get you down.

I was feeling kinda of dizzy last Friday (5/4/07) and ended up in the hospital. After several days of testing, I was told I needed a pace maker. And then a friend mentioned than you probably cannot arc weld if you have a pace maker. I confirmed this with the doctor and the pace maker tech representative. There were no options (well, yeah maybe death), so now I have one.

I guess I need to switch to gas welding. What are the problems with this? Is it pretty equivalent in capacity to arc welding and as versatile and as easy to use? I have a small unit which I have not used except for heating metal to bend it. Do I need a larger unit to weld 1/4 inch plate? What are some good references?

Can I put on a shield of some kind to block the magnetic field and still use the MIG welder?

/ No more arc welding
No, I think everyone may have told you wrong, or at least not understood. You should not start or weld close to the welder with a pacemaker, but I have a friend with a pacemaker and you can still weld, but have to be a certain distance away from the welder while starting and welding, just like a microwave. Remote starters are avaliable, and the person I know has his wife start the welder for now for his protection. Yes, for fact, there are ways around this. Check into it, and don't let it get you down.

The pacemaker company says its alright, just some rules to follow. This is a very old thread. Please read the rest of it.

/ No more arc welding #88  
The pacemaker company says its alright, just some rules to follow. This is a very old thread. Please read the rest of it.

Definitely an old thread. Good read though and informative. Good to hear it's making a positive difference in your life. Cheers!

/ No more arc welding
Definitely an old thread. Good read though and informative. Good to hear it's making a positive difference in your life. Cheers!

I have been welding with the pacemaker installed for several years now and have not had any problems. I don't weld a lot though, just a little hobby work.

/ No more arc welding #90  
I have a pacemaker. You need to check with the pacemaker manufacturer - they're not all the same - and are affected differently by EM/RF fields. I have a St. Jude pacemaker. I can weld with the following caveats. Don't drape the leads over your shoulders to keep the EM away from the pacemaker. Don't weld over 300 amps. Stick welding is the worst because of the size of the arc - need to keep the arc at arm's length.

You have to understand - they don't want you to put a cell phone in your top left pocket because the EM/RF from the cell phone can interfere with the pacemaker. Extrapolate that to welding - and you get the idea.