Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee?

/ Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #41  
I was born a lived half of my life there. We used to love to hate Russians. Even most commies hated them because they had to kiss their a**es. Both Czech Republic and Slovakia rushed to NATO to isolate themselves from Russia as much as possible. So to say Avast or anything produced there is Russian is simply wrong.
In fact Kaspersky is Russian. I remember when the company started making antivirus about 20 or so years ago. They would give you scanning software that found lot of viruses that other antivirus "missed" on you computer. The truth was that all those viruses detection were fake making Kaspersky better than the rest. It eventually blew up in their face.
Apologize didn't mean to offend anyone. Yes, i understand the history behind USSR's relationship with Czech, and lumping the USSR and Russia together is wrong and I am showing my age. I am just a little peeved that, that area of the world seems to follow some unscrupulous business practices.

/ Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #42  
Just curious if ANYONE runs PCMatic???

They run goofy low-budget TV commercials claiming to be the cat's meow.

/ Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #43  
I've had all 3. McAfee has gotten ridiculous at times, particularly in pestering you to renew. This new machine with Windows 10 has McAfee. Our internet provider gives us Norton free. When McAfee expires or if it gives me any trouble before, I'm deleting it and putting Norton in place.

Never had any trouble with Kaspersky. It was on my HP notebook when I bought it. When it expired, I went with Norton.

Any of these will give you potential trouble if you only have 4 GB of memory because they hog memory just lurking around. Ever since I went with 8 GB of memory on our computers, I've had no problems.

Even Avast and a couple of other free ones (yes, I tried them) will slow the computer down noticeably with only 4 GB of memory.

Ralph

/ Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #44  
A few thoughts on Malware detection software (and security in general) from someone in that business.....

Malware detection(sometimes remediation) software is like buying condoms. Some can use the average old stuff and never have an issue, other require a more professional approach. Pick one that works based on your needs and use it consistently. That means registering the software, updating the software, and using the computer with some degree of responsibility.

For Windows operating systems, patching your computer is now a requirement. You should be downloading and installing the latest patches each week. Unpatched systems are the benefit to hackers. Your use behavior determines your risk. If you surf **** you will most likely have some degree of malware regardless of your AV software. Clicking on pop-ups is verboten, period. Opening every email from anybody is another way you get attacked.

A solid layered defense is required today. You need a up to date system, an up to date malware detection/remediation software package, the software firewall turned on, and a physical firewall that is configured correctly. These items combined with responsible use should put you in the 90% covered circle. Yep, its not a 100% coverage.

No one program or hardware will defend you completely. What used to be successful will fall victim at some point in the future. Hardware and software are created by man and therefore are subject to the human frailties inherent in the mortal coil. Security in and of itself on the Internet is but a concept and is NEVER a reality. All defense developed today will fall to the attacker of tomorrow.

I do cybersecurity for a living. I am an active CISSP and CIPP and have worked with the biggest and best (NCR, IBM, Microsoft, Dell as well as the name brand customer in MIC and everyday products and services). We will all experience an incident at some point. Contact me off line and I will be happy to elaborate in a more direct and verbose fashion. In the mean time....be safe.
I used both Norton and McAfee for years on my windows machines. Got sick of them and all the updates and the slowing of the PC. Actually one of the reasons I finally switched to a Mac and love it. Don't have any add on 'condoms' on my MacBook laptop and loving the boot up speed, ease of use, etc. I would be interested in your thoughts Meos on protection for a Mac?

/ Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #45  
AVG. Used N and M years ago, a long time past. Haven't looked back. Running Win 7 home premium, from around 2010....

/ Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #46  
   / Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #47  
I'm not very good with computers and when I have a problem I call my Air Force buddy on Skype to help me. Every computer I've had didn't have enough RAM so when I bought this one I got 16 gb's. I have McAffee and it's ok I guess and never slows down my system.

Ed

/ Norton, Kaspersky or McAfee? #48  
I'm not very good with computers and when I have a problem I call my Air Force buddy on Skype to help me. Every computer I've had didn't have enough RAM so when I bought this one I got 16 gb's. I have McAffee and it's ok I guess and never slows down my system.

Ed