Not much use for my 4WD yet

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #1  

keegs

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota M5640SUD
I've only had the tractor since February of this year, but aside from pulling the delivery truck that delivered the tractor out of the snow :laughing: I haven't had much use for the 4wd yet. Even on sloping grades the ag tires seem to keep the tractor on a firm footing. Not saying I regret spending the extra cash for 4wd..

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #2  
The extra weight of the 5640 over, say my L3400 is the reason why you've not used 4WD much. Anytime I'm on muddy ground and there's any load on the tractor it needs 4WD to keep from tearing the ground up. Mine has Ags too, but without much weight they tear the sod pretty easily.

Sean

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #3  
I have been in situations where I wished the tractor had 8 wheel drive ... and a backhoe!:laughing:

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #4  
Do you have loader? Many times when I have a heavy load I wish I had mfwd

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet
no loader ..yet ... :D and I usually have a 600lb sickle bar mower mounted on the back.

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #6  
I have been in situations where I wished the tractor had 8 wheel drive ... and a backhoe!:laughing:

Just dug myself out of one of those situations this morning. Straightening a waterway with a scraper. Slipped into a silted ditch sideways. To the top of the right front tire, belly'd out in silt. Took 30 minutes using the loader bucket to slowly push myself out backwards. Having to pull forward several times because the scraper would get jack knifed into the hitch. Would have given anything for rear axle steering!!! :eek:

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #7  
no loader ..yet ... :D and I usually have a 600lb sickle bar mower mounted on the back.

Not having a loader on makes a huge difference, even without loaded rear tires I don't use 4x4 much when I have the loader removed. Are your rear tires loaded?

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #8  
As already said, MFWD makes the biggest difference when using a loader. Not only do you have the option of having the front wheels pull, but you have a much stronger front end and bigger tires to carry the load.

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #9  
Yeah, something like
HPIM0671.JPG

with a backhoe.

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet
No ...rear tires aren't loaded. I think I understand how sure footedness is important with a heavy load in the bucket.