Not much use for my 4WD yet

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #31  
I don't know that anyone has mentioned it, but one of the great benefits of 4wd is downhill 4-wheel braking. With 2wd, you only have the rears. Of course with a loader, the effect is multiplied, but having 4wd to aid braking going down steep hills is very useful on a non-FEL tractor too.

My JD 6415 engages 4wd when the brakes are applied.

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #32  
Funny how different people from different parts of the country look at things... The ONLY time mine comes out of 4x4 is when I go down the paved road to a different farm. Otherwise I never take it out around the house - with the steep hills and off camber slopes I cant imagine being without the extra "grip"

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #33  
Funny how different people from different parts of the country look at things... The ONLY time mine comes out of 4x4 is when I go down the paved road to a different farm. Otherwise I never take it out around the house - with the steep hills and off camber slopes I cant imagine being without the extra "grip"

That's how I operate mine also, only time it's not in 4x4 is when I'm on a paved road. I also have steep hills at my place and having the rear wheels sliding down the hill I'd not the time to find out you are in 2wd.

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #34  
The only time mine is out of 4wd is on the pavement. Otherwise it stays in 4wd
John

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #35  
Mine stays in 4wd also............nothing level here.

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #36  
Mine stays in 4wd also............nothing level here.

Same here.. I have done the "whoops I forgot to put it in 4wd, and go sliding down the gravel road thing" Not a lot of fun. I can use 2wd in the front yard, and that is about it. If you want level ground here you have to buy it, dump truck load at a time..

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet
It's been helpful to read the various situations in which you guys use 4wd. Most of our property, the farm acreage, is relatively flat w/some knowls and slight elevations. Both fields drain along a low line. That low line slopes down into a pond. There's a pretty good grade to the west side of the pond that I haven't mowed yet. I'm a little concerned about how to approach that side of the pond with the tractor/mower. The back boundery of the propety slopes to a stream and is densely wooded. Some of the elevations down to the steam are not walkable and have to be approached from along the banks of stream. Don't know if I'll ever get down along the stream with the tractor though.

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #39  
Me too.
View attachment 325639
That was from the spring of '12 in the middle of one of my hay meadows.

Was that some sort of Art project for the class at a local junior college or something?

Abstract contemporary art, in natural mediums sorta thing, and you went Rural rather than Urban in theme?:laughing:

Have had days like that. I rarely take pics, as it's best those days are forgotten quickly.;)

/ Not much use for my 4WD yet #40  
Was that some sort of Art project for the class at a local junior college or something?

Abstract contemporary art, in natural mediums sorta thing, and you went Rural rather than Urban in theme?:laughing:

Have had days like that. I rarely take pics, as it's best those days are forgotten quickly.;)
Funny, real funny. ;)
I DIDN'T take pics. My dear, sweet daughter did. Bless her heart. :D