Now I'm paranoid

/ Now I'm paranoid #41  
Yes but are we SUFFICIENTLY paranoid? Pretty sure my last words will be something like "well SH*T that didn't work!

/ Now I'm paranoid #43  
I think of myself as a person who does things safely, I have been a firefighter/emt for 34 years. My 8 year old grandson asked if he could drive my New Holland 1920 tractor. Problem it is a shuttle shift and he wasn't tall enough to reach the pedals. Asked my son in law if he could operate the backhoe in my small sand pit. We get the machine set up with outriggers down and he climbs in the seat. Show him how the controls work and he starts to operate it. I was standing behind the outrigger and thought I was safe because the boom swings 180 degrees. He put the boom down, lifting the back of the machine, and swung at the same time. I had to bail out of the way to not get hit. Never took that into consideration
Bill C

/ Now I'm paranoid #44  
Safety forum can really make a guy paranoid.

Ballast, spacers, go slow, gravity and Darwin, I thought I get it.

Now I'm even questioning storing a couple 5G of diesel with my gas in the well house or using a floor jack and car stands to work on a tractor.

Maybe just information overload, carry on and don't be a dummy?
I just always stay with the name brand safety devices, like Trojan for instance. Still, doesn't work EVERY time!

/ Now I'm paranoid #45  
Yes but are we SUFFICIENTLY paranoid? Pretty sure my last words will be something like "well SH*T that didn't work!
Oops! I expect will be my last word.

IMG_1845.jpeg

Last edited:
   / Now I'm paranoid #46  
I think of myself as a person who does things safely, I have been a firefighter/emt for 34 years. My 8 year old grandson asked if he could drive my New Holland 1920 tractor. Problem it is a shuttle shift and he wasn't tall enough to reach the pedals. Asked my son in law if he could operate the backhoe in my small sand pit. We get the machine set up with outriggers down and he climbs in the seat. Show him how the controls work and he starts to operate it. I was standing behind the outrigger and thought I was safe because the boom swings 180 degrees. He put the boom down, lifting the back of the machine, and swung at the same time. I had to bail out of the way to not get hit. Never took that into consideration
Bill C
I was about 5 years old when Dad took me fishing at our lake. He showed me how to cast using a jitterbug lure. "Here...now you try" he said, "hold the button, swing out and release button". He stood out of the way behind me in our little boat. I did just what Dad said then "OOOUUUCCCHHH!!!!!" He screamed. I looked around and I had snagged him in the neck!
Luckily my grandfather next door was a doctor, he snipped the end barb off and pulled it out. Later Dad explained what the exclamation "son-of-a-bi[ch" meant.

/ Now I'm paranoid #47  
Sometimes it is the simple things which bite you. I was installing a mini-split in my a few weeks back. I’d done the inside evaporator work and was preparing to set the condensing unit. The condensing unit was still bolted to shipping pallet so I used forks on FEL to move it around back behind the barn and set it down as near as I could to where it would mount on wall L-brackets about 2-1/2” above ground level.

At that point, I had already decided I was done for the day as I was going to need help to actually put unit on mounts. As I sat on tractor after dropping the load, I was thinking how I was going to lift unit from pallet and lift onto the mount. I then remembered some various length nylon lifting straps I had in my truck. I got off the tractor and removed the lag bolts holding the u it on pallet and decided I’d get the straps from the truck to see if they were long enough and then call it a day.

I did not make it to my truck. When I built my barn I had to raise grade on west by about three feet and the north side towards east end by about 2’. I have wide flat area behind barn with a 20’ storage container. I’ve walked up, down and around it countless times. Somehow simply walking to my truck on opposite end of barn, for reasons still unknown, I lost my balance and fell head first down the small embankment as I went between container on top and tractor at bottom. Trying not the hit the tractor ended up twisting and landing on my left elbow, dislocating my left shoulder and breaking the glenoid (shoulder sock at top end of scapula).

Thursday will be five weeks post accident. I’ve been trusses up in an immobilization sling since. Of course, I am left handed and work has stopped on finishing my shop and getting crap stored in garage moved out to barn before Christmas.

I was lucky though. Ortho Doc initially thought I was going to need surgery and most likely a complete shoulder replacement. After a week and MRI and CT scan, he decided fracture, while about 1mm displaced was still aligned proximally and nothing he could do surgically would be an improvement over healing naturally. Saw him yesterday and he said it healing quickly. He did remind me I am still another 3-1/2 months out from recovery.

I grew up in farm community where my dad was local cropduster and am a pilot. I’ve worked on and around equipment all my life. I also survived 22 years in the Army, though that ended after getting busted up in Army parachute jump. At this point in my life, 61yo, the healing takes much longer…

All that to say, sometimes it is the ordinary simple stuff which nabs you.

Cannot wait to get to back out there, even my boss is butthead. Fortunately, I am retired and only missing working for myself. 🤣

/ Now I'm paranoid #48  
I know a guy who lost his fingers to a chainsaw. Didn't think it was very sharp so revved it up with his hand on the chain to check it. Guess it was sharp enough for that! If you're feeling tippy in your tractor..... Keep going till it tips and you will know how far you can go next time :)

/ Now I'm paranoid #49  
Safety forum can really make a guy paranoid.

Ballast, spacers, go slow, gravity and Darwin, I thought I get it.

Now I'm even questioning storing a couple 5G of diesel with my gas in the well house or using a floor jack and car stands to work on a tractor.

Maybe just information overload, carry on and don't be a dummy?
In the words of Gordon Graham; Predictable is preventable.

/ Now I'm paranoid #50  
Well house is where ZT, rider, mower and tools live, garden type storage.
I'm curious why you would store all the gasoline containing stuff in your well house. Is it just because it is big enough? I'm not some sort of Nervous Nelly type person yet I would never store gasoline close to my well head where a leak could really poison my well for a long time. My well water is very good and I want it to remain so. I make damn sure that my aquifer is protected from contamination. But that's just me I guess. To each his own.
Eric