* * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * *

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * *
I was just talking to one of my next door neighbors the other day and he told me he gets 1000 to 2000 gallons of fuel delivered a year to heat his trailer and a house .
Surprised the heck out of me .
Lived for 30 or 35 years about 500 to 1000 feet from him.
Known the guy all my life but was surprised he was doing that .
I knew he had 2 or 3 older JD farm tractors but figured that they were probably gasoline.
The part that really threw me was the one about heating his trailer and the house with Diesel / heating oil.
Everyone else in this whole area has natural gas.

He told me he was getting his fuel from the same place where I was buying mine but they shut down and he was now getting it delivered by BP.
I could probably take a 55 gallon drum up to his place in my pickup and have it filled there by BP but the thing is BP will deliver me 55 gallon so it doesn't help that he is a close neighbor .
Problem is BP is 30 to 40 cents higher than the other 2 suppliers.

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #33  
I know they don't spot check as often as they probably should, but even I have been tested to see if I was running off road in my tractor trailer. Considering the fact that I always drive a company truck, rather than being an owner operator, it seemed like a waste of the officers time, but the payback "IF" he did catch me with offroad fuel would have been well worth it. We changed to a new fuel supplier a while back (and then back again). One of the drivers fueled up a 300 gallon capacity truck with off road by mistake. After documenting the mistake, paying the tax, getting a copy of the receipt that listed the mistake and the corrections, they finally allowed him to drive the truck to the yard where it was all pumped out and replenished with taxed fuel. Color could still be detected in the new fuel, but just barely. The did not allow him out of the state for several weeks while the new fuel was replenished. That driver will not make that mistake again...

As far as LB's problem, I started to suggest getting his hands on a tank and making a trailer to hold them, then just using his pump system to offload the trailer tank. HOWEVER, it occured to me that any amount larger than the 55 gallon drum(assumption here guys!!!) would require a hazmat endorsement to haul fuel, since it isn't in the vehicles tanks. Even if he did acquire a tractor trailer tank, most likely it would be too large for him to haul without the hazmat endorsement. A quick search says the magic number is 119 gallons, so maybe he could get one hundred or an eighty gallon tank to haul his fuel home with. I often just drop a couple of five gallon cans into the fuel tank of my tractor, but do have the option of just driving it up to the store where they sell diesel. Only one store within driving distance sells diesel, so I will be in trouble if they quit. I don't have the option of offroad fuel, though it would be nice.
David from jax
David from jax

One of the loggers i use tows these old fuel soaked Landscape 16 foot trailers around with old home fuel oil tanks bolted to them, about 300-400 gallon tanks full of Off raod. they haul to the woods and leave them there to fuel the logging equiptment. I dont even think those trailers have breaks on them. The have a piece of box steel across the trailer to the edges and bolted down which the fuel tank feet are bolted to. The whole trailer is bent possibly befor this cross piece was added (sags in middle, the cross braces, like too much weight was loaded on them). As if there not a scary enough sight, the foreman told me that they are the fuel companies trailer that they lend them for buying so much fuel :eek:. The fuel supplier supplies all the transfer tanks in all the deisel pickups that they buy. But then again you would get all this and the pumps too if you bought it a tanker truck at the time. 15,000 gallons of on-road, and 15,000gallons of offroad.