* * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * *

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #11  
LB is lucky that he is afraid that 100 gallons would be too much! I go through 2-3x that much per year.

At one point I was hauling a 55 gallon drum to the station to get it filled, but that was a hassle when I'm dealing with 20-28 gallon tanks on the tractors and skid steer. Just bush hogging the pastures one time can take 50-75 gallons.

Minimum delivery here is 150 gallons.

Ken

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #12  
I don't get it. Get another 55 gallon drum, put it in your pickup, go fill it up. Problem solved.

Yes, I know you have a whole system setup around delivery. But, that system is now useless. Time to modify it to work. Either add capacity or fetch fuel.

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #13  
Funny you mention that...I know a guy who lives up there in Polk County. A NC highway patrolman stopped him recently near Columbus and wanted to check to see if he was running dyed fuel in his company pick-up. The fact he had a off road tank in the bed probably tipped them off he might be.
The cop held some sort of paper on a stick in the exhaust of his idling truck for a bit and pronounced him good, no red fuel detected.
He said the cop was a little embarrased when he said that was good since his truck wasn't a diesel...:laughing:

NO WAY---- as you may recall I live in Polk County..
I have heard this story at the truck stop!!!!

I laughed then too!!!!

J

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * *
As far as LB's problem, I started to suggest getting his hands on a tank and making a trailer to hold them, then just using his pump system to offload the trailer tank. HOWEVER, it occured to me that any amount larger than the 55 gallon drum(assumption here guys!!!) would require a hazmat endorsement to haul fuel, since it isn't in the vehicles tanks. Even if he did acquire a tractor trailer tank, most likely it would be too large for him to haul without the hazmat endorsement.
1* A quick search says the magic number is 119 gallons, so maybe he could get one hundred or an eighty gallon tank to haul his fuel home with.
1*2 55 Gallon drums are 110 gallon so that keeps me under hasmat requirements.

2*LB is lucky that he is afraid that 100 gallons would be too much! I go through 2-3x that much per year.
3*At one point I was hauling a 55 gallon drum to the station to get it filled, but that was a hassle when I'm dealing with 20-28 gallon tanks on the tractors and skid steer. Just bush hogging the pastures one time can take 50-75 gallons.
4*Minimum delivery here is 150 gallons.
Ken
2*I wouldn't be afraid if i knew the fuel would still be fit to use 2 or 3 years from now.
3*So what did you do to solve that ?
4*So are you getting off road delivered ?

5*I don't get it. Get another 55 gallon drum, put it in your pickup, go fill it up. Problem solved.
6*Yes, I know you have a whole system setup around delivery. But, that system is now useless. Time to modify it to work. Either add capacity or fetch fuel.
5*I just took a 55 gallon drum to the only off road station in the area and got 33 gallon of off road to finish filling up my set up.
It was a hassle compared to the free home delivery that i was used to.
6*I would just get the min delivery if i could be assured that it would still be fit to run 2 or 3 years from now.

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #15  
Funny you mention that...I know a guy who lives up there in Polk County. A NC highway patrolman stopped him recently near Columbus and wanted to check to see if he was running dyed fuel in his company pick-up. The fact he had a off road tank in the bed probably tipped them off he might be.
The cop held some sort of paper on a stick in the exhaust of his idling truck for a bit and pronounced him good, no red fuel detected.
He said the cop was a little embarrased when he said that was good since his truck wasn't a diesel...:laughing:

Skyco---
It just dawned on me about you having property just down the road from me..

Drop me a line when you next come up..

Later,
J

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #16  
6*I would just get the min delivery if i could be assured that it would still be fit to run 2 or 3 years from now.
....lol .....

About 4 years ago a friend (PineRidge) and I pulled a 275 gallon oil tank out of the basement of his sister in-law (..... they had converted over to natural gas quite a few years earlier ..... and I wanted the tank :thumbsup:)

Turns out that we had to pump out somewhere over 55 gallons (but less than 110 gallons) of HHO (home heating oil) ... was pretty nasty initially (rust) .... but we filtered it twice (once on the way out, and once on the way back into my tank)

The stuff was probably 5 or 10 years old ..... my tractor ran fine on it ..... nary a hiccup or a burp ... that was around 500 or so hours ago ....

Afterall, just remember: that stuff has been in the ground for millions of years before it was delivered to ya :laughing:

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #17  
you are not going to go through 100 gallons in 2-3 years? whats the point of having 3 tractors if they never get used?? you have more tractors than some farmers i know, and dont use 100gal/yr?? as long as its kept out of the sun (or at least in a non-transparent container), it should be more than fine for 3+ years. my backup generator is currently feeding on 5+ year old diesel fuel, and loves it.

....lol .....

About 4 years ago a friend (PineRidge) and I pulled a 275 gallon oil tank out of the basement of his sister in-law (..... they had converted over to natural gas quite a few years earlier ..... and I wanted the tank :thumbsup:)

Turns out that we had to pump out somewhere over 55 gallons (but less than 110 gallons) of HHO (home heating oil) ... was pretty nasty initially (rust) .... but we filtered it twice (once on the way out, and once on the way back into my tank)

The stuff was probably 5 or 10 years old ..... my tractor ran fine on it ..... nary a hiccup or a burp ... that was around 500 or so hours ago ....

Afterall, just remember: that stuff has been in the ground for millions of years before it was delivered to ya :laughing:
Sounds like you feel it would keep and still be fit to use 3 or more years from now .

you are not going to go through 100 gallons in 2-3 years? whats the point of having 3 tractors if they never get used?? you have more tractors than some farmers i know, and dont use 100gal/yr??
* as long as its kept out of the sun (or at least in a non-transparent container), it should be more than fine for 3+ years. my backup generator is currently feeding on 5+ year old diesel fuel, and loves it.
* I keep it inside a small windowless 8 x 10 shed.

/ * * OFF ROAD SUPPLY PROBLEM * * #19  
Sounds like you feel it would keep and still be fit to use 3 or more years from now.
Provided you (or your supplier) treats the fuel correctly, with a fuel treatment that contains a biocide, then yes.

Imagine the position any large facility - like say, a hospital, as an example - is in, in terms of using diesel powered generators for emergency power: they have to have a significant supply of fuel ready at all times in case they do lose power.

While "exercising" the genset periodically does provide some consumption (and opportunity for replenishment), I'd imagine that in terms of their total fuel supply, such consumption is minimal.

And I would guess that their fuel supplier probably doesn't come and pump out the old fuel periodically and replace it with new .....

Provided you (or your supplier) treats the fuel correctly, with a fuel treatment that contains a biocide, then yes.

Imagine the position any large facility - like say, a hospital, as an example - is in, in terms of using diesel powered generators for emergency power: they have to have a significant supply of fuel ready at all times in case they do lose power.

While "exercising" the genset periodically does provide some consumption (and opportunity for replenishment), I'd imagine that in terms of their total fuel supply, such consumption is minimal.

And I would guess that their fuel supplier probably doesn't come and pump out the old fuel periodically and replace it with new .....
Thanks for your reply/makes sense.