I will change the oil in my tractor according to the manual 50 hours
then 200 hours. It takes very little time to warm up a 3 cylinder diesel
and my car at 35 to 40 mph is up to temp in a mile

willy

/ Oil Change intervals? #82  
It takes very little time to warm up a 3 cylinder diesel
and my car at 35 to 40 mph is up to temp in a mile

willy
Water temp, or the more important oil temp?

None of our tractors have an oil temp gauge, so I have to go by feel and experience.

/ Oil Change intervals? #83  
Water temp, or the more important oil temp?

None of our tractors have an oil temp gauge, so I have to go by feel and experience.
Not important, if only for preparing for oil change. By the time your water temp gauge is showing any rise, the oil is already plenty warm for draining into a pan.

/ Oil Change intervals? #85  
Well, whatever the interval, make sure you fill the filter, before spilling it on. I had to watch this video about 12x, before I really got the process. :p

I guess I'm just "slow;" but I've had a hard time mastering the art of pouring oil into a filter. I had to watch this video over-and-over! Maybe a few more views, and I'll get the hang of it! :cool:

/ Oil Change intervals? #87  
Unless the engine is currently sitting in cold conditions, like winter, I just drain the oil “cold” where it sits.

/ Oil Change intervals? #88  
Unless the engine is currently sitting in cold conditions, like winter, I just drain the oil “cold” where it sits.
That's far from ideal. You want as much as possible to be suspended in the oil, so it comes out, not largely staying at the bottom of the pan.

A cold drain can work on a diff, where the cover is removed and the sludge on the bottom of the housing can be cleaned off.

/ Oil Change intervals? #89  
That's far from ideal. You want as much as possible to be suspended in the oil, so it comes out, not largely staying at the bottom of the pan.

A cold drain can work on a diff, where the cover is removed and the sludge on the bottom of the housing can be cleaned off.
There’s pros/cons of both hot and cold oil changes, and there’s no consensus on any proof of one method providing any longer engine life than the other. Cold changing is usually the most convenient for me.

/ Oil Change intervals? #90  
I forget to add that I am almost crawling along I also go slow
when first starting out that's why I said what I said
Yes I always like the oil to be at least warm for a change

willy