OK, I admit it

/ OK, I admit it #1  

ctgoldwing

Platinum Member
Tractor
L3800HST
I've never been to Tractor Supply before this morning. I drove to the closest one, about 40 miles from here, to look at their post hole diggers & box blades. I walked around looking at all the toys inside but saw no 3 pt implements. So, I walked up to the women at the register & asked if there was someplace they kept them. She tells me they have to be in the back where the rest of the tractor parts are - even though I tell her the box blade is 6-7 feet long and the phd & blade weigh several hundred pounds. At that point she tells me they don't have them.

Of course when I walk out I see a fenced in area where are the manly stuff is kept - including the phd's & box blades.

This being my only experience at TS I have to ask - is this the service level you get there?

/ OK, I admit it #2  
I had a similar visit to TSC.
I went to the new store during its Grand Opening to just look around.
A few weeks later I went back to pick up a boxblade ripper.
Since I didn't see them (they were there at the grand opening )
I asked about them. I was told "we don't carry those" .
I said yes you do. I was told "then we must be out of them".
It's bad when a customer knows more about their store than they do.

/ OK, I admit it #3  
Most stores have a parts counter/help desk toward the back. This is a better source of info as compared to the cashiers. Of course, the cashiers SHOULD refer you to the parts counter instead of providing less than stellar response... And like anywhere, all staff members are human with different levels of store knowledge.
Mike

/ OK, I admit it #4  
I have one locally, and I've been to several other around the state. The knowledge level of the employees is definitely hit or miss. Some are 'into' tractors (or whatever else you might be shopping for), some are not. I will say that the store here locally has been very good, maybe even great, as far as customer service. My advice is to always do your research, and don't rely on what the store associate tells you. This in not just for TSC though....... it goes for any other retail establishment.

/ OK, I admit it #5  
I've shopped in at least 5 different Tractor Supply Co. stores, and as with many companies, the quality, knowledge, and helpfulness of their employees varies a great deal. Some are very, very good, some pretty bad, and most in between.:)

/ OK, I admit it #7  
Been to our local TSC store and they are probably the worse vendor in the area. Terrible client services especially during a sale. No one will help you find anything or take the time to check in their computer system if they have the item that you are seeking. The standard answer is go look for yourself in the back. The wages are probably low but in this economy they could probably attract workers with genuine customer service experience. Their sales would increase as a result. I only shop there if I am in dire straights and the other retailers don't have what I need.

/ OK, I admit it #8  
Not an uncommon occurance at almost any store of any kind. Cashiers usually know how to scan the bar code. TSC has a parts counter that usually can help more with the hardware.

/ OK, I admit it #9  
I took my pickup into Walmart to have new tires installed and they told me I was missing two wheel lugs. They said their policy was that they could not service the vehicle if it had over one lugnut missing. However, the tech offered to loan me his pickup so I could drive 1/4 mile to the autoparts store and get a couple of lugnuts. I took the offer and left a $5 bill on the seat of the truck when I returned it.

I went into my new TSC in Bowie, Tx to look at implements. As I browsed inside the fence, a gent came out of the store and offered to show me anything I wanted. He also advised me that if I needed to transport anything big, he knew someone who would do that with his trailer for a very reasonable fee.

I went into another TSC for a bag of deer corn. After walking around the store and through their feed room, I walked to the register and told the cashier I could not find the corn. She looked on the computer and told me that I must have not looked in the right spot because they had 240 bags in inventory. I assured her I had looked well and she reluctantly called for bring a bag to the front of the store. After 5 minutes of waiting, a lady walked up and said she could find no corn. The cashier suggested she keep looking. Finally after 15 more minutes, the worker came walking out of the loading dock with a bag of corn on her shoulder. She said it was shrink-wrapped on pallets and she had not been able to find it.

Sometimes you get stellar service when least expected and vice-versa.:rolleyes:

/ OK, I admit it #10  
Yup, the TSC closest to me and two others bit farther away are consistent. Each has their weaknesses and each their strengths, but overall very congenial staff and abundantly willing to be helpful. Given the experience at retail places elsewhere, I'd rate them above average. Around here, even retail job is considered a good job and the staff seems to appreciate their being at work. Not the case everywhere, of course.