OK, I admit it

/ OK, I admit it #21  
I took our 2 year old daughter to the local TSC on its opening weekend. I needed a grease gun and she needed some time out of the house. The employees were very friendly. She wanted some 3/4" rope for a jump rope. I asked one of the staff if they had a hot tool for cutting it. He cut off 5' of the rope and gave it to our daughter for free. I have been back twice. They have had almost everything I wanted.

You can get away with that when you are 2 and cute.

/ OK, I admit it #22  
I used to go to our local TSC to try find things for my "Tractor" although they have nothing for my tractor, but the wife likes going and browsing (their close dept) :p

This was suppose to say (closeout dept.) they do have good deals on stuff that they try to sell 6months for to much and then after items never sale they cut 50%-60% off:D. I like them selling of nuts & bolts by the pound, I purchased enough 2" x 5/16 nuts bolts & washers to bolt down the wood on the beavertail I added to my trailer for only 2.19 must have been 30+ of each, Try to buy them at **** Depo for that and you'll pay 10.00 for equal amount,;)

/ OK, I admit it #23  
I pass a TSC each day on way to work. About every third trip there I find what I am looking for. Admit some of what I am looking for is real size tools for real size equipment. Auto Zone will stock all they do. The comment about Agri Supply, normally they sell much lower price than TSC. As to attitude, if TSC would realize a slower moving retired or just tired farmer would draw people to the service department as they could get real info they would all profit from it.

/ OK, I admit it #24  
I've never been to Tractor Supply before this morning. I drove to the closest one, about 40 miles from here, to look at their post hole diggers & box blades. I walked around looking at all the toys inside but saw no 3 pt implements. So, I walked up to the women at the register & asked if there was someplace they kept them. She tells me they have to be in the back where the rest of the tractor parts are - even though I tell her the box blade is 6-7 feet long and the phd & blade weigh several hundred pounds. At that point she tells me they don't have them.

Of course when I walk out I see a fenced in area where are the manly stuff is kept - including the phd's & box blades.

This being my only experience at TS I have to ask - is this the service level you get there?

Thats been my experience at my local TS.

/ OK, I admit it #25  
There are two that I frequent in my area. I don't depend on the employees to find something for me. They are mostly minimum wage folks just trying to get by so I don't expect a whole lot and therefore don't get disappointed. I usually find whatever I'm looking for unless they are out of it.

/ OK, I admit it #26  
There are two that I frequent in my area. I don't depend on the employees to find something for me. They are mostly minimum wage folks just trying to get by so I don't expect a whole lot and therefore don't get disappointed. I usually find whatever I'm looking for unless they are out of it.

Since when has being minimum wage become an excuse for incompetence? I have seen this comment numerous times and it really bothers me.
What a person is paid for doing a job particular should not be a measure of intelligence or ability. An employee should always put forth their best efforts. That is how their abilities are measured and pay raises awarded.

/ OK, I admit it #27  
My local TSC has a fairly competent staff. Most of them know where things are in the store.

There is one guy that seems to be extremely knowledgeable about 3 pt. equipment, repairs, etc. I usually go and find him. :)

/ OK, I admit it #28  
Since when has being minimum wage become an excuse for incompetence?...

...An employee should always put forth their best efforts. That is how their abilities are measured and pay raises awarded.

I agree that minimum wage is no excuse for incompetence (see my previous comment in this thread), but I think you just rebutted your own comment. In my experience, the employees who are still making minimum wage are those who have not put forth their best efforts, and consequently pay raises and promotions were not awarded. The flip side of this is that if you do find a minimum wage earner who goes above and beyond what is expected, chances are he/she won't be in that position for long. She/he will either move up or move on. The end result is that positions that are paid minimum wage are usually filled with either unmotivated employees or newbies. Neither is very helpful.

OTOH, incompetence is neither prejudiced nor discriminatory. It can be found scattered throughout all levels of organizations in all fields of work.

/ OK, I admit it #29  
Unfortunately, I think retail shopping is a mostly painfull experience these days but some places (like Tractor Supply stores I have been to) seem to specialize in making it a truly memorable experience (and not in a good way). Basic housekeeping (clean floors, organized clothing, properly racked items etc) seems to be lacking. It reflects badly on the whole outfit from the minimum wage floor sweeper to the store manager. And forget about asking a question -- the only person to be found is the cashier:rolleyes: -- unless you found what you want by yourself and just want to pay for it:eek: JMHO

/ OK, I admit it #30  
My local TSC was very good, up until maybe 6 or 8 years ago. Then they stopped stocking as much stuff, now it's unfortunately not very good. (Unless you need common US nuts and bolts, they are still the best source for those locally)

A few years back I thought about getting a welder at my local TSC. They didn't have one in the box, all they had was the shelf unit, which had a few nicks and scratches, and some pieces were not there. I asked the manager: if I buy this display unit, how much could he discount it? "Can't discount it" was his answer. Say what? It's missing pieces, and it's out of the box, with nicks and scratches. "That's our price" was his answer. Huh? But its missing parts. "I'll give you the (generic brand) parts that it's missing".... Uh, but this is a $500 item, I want it in the sealed box so I know it's got all the factory stuff that came with it, like the owners manual, warranty card, etc...."We take all of the welders out of the box and put them out here" But how about these other models that are still in the box? Blank look from manager.

Needless to say, I did not buy there.

Oh, I will add a positive experience, just not with the local TSC: last year I wanted the diesel antifreeze pre-charged with SCA. Local TSC didn't have any, and they wouldn't or couldn't tell me if the other stores had any. I drove 25 miles away to next town, they didn't have any either...BUT the clerk there called two other stores and found a store another 25 miles away that had the 4 gallons I needed. I drove like mad, got there 1 minute before closing, the clerks already had the 4 gallons waiting on me in a cart and ready to check out. And they thanked me for my business even.