Old but unopened ATF

/ Old but unopened ATF #11  
ATF is basically 5w or 10w oil with some anti-foaming agents added, maybe another "magic" chemical or two for whatever purpose. Since this ATF is unopened it hasn't been exposed to air or any other contaminants and it's roughly 15 years old. Now then, how many vehicles do you think are out there older than 15 years that are running the same ATF they came out of the factory with ? I'd be willing to wager there are quite a few. My 1993 Nissan truck has the original power steering fluid (pretty much the same as ATF) and has 236,000 miles on it with no problems with the system, no leaks at all, even. I use my power steering as an example because my trans is a manual. There shouldn't be a thing wrong with that ATF - use it.

X2, and the ATF in those trannies have been exposed to heat, cold, moisture and wear and tear.

Just give the cans a good shake before pouring out.

DEWFPO

/ Old but unopened ATF #13  
Can you just use it in an oil can or other places where virtually any lubricant will do?

/ Old but unopened ATF #14  
Why are we keep posting to this i think he has his answer. Use it if you dont want to use it in your 08 f250 fine, it prolly dont need any anyway unless your changing it. Just buy new for the new vehicles if concerned. Use it in the 88 f250 or give it away, the bottles are woth what $3 max each.

/ Old but unopened ATF #15  
ATF is essentially a hydraulic oil with an additive pack and a coloring agent. ATF does have a shelf life; the base oil itself can be fine, but the additive pack can settle out and will degrade over time. Unopened or not, I doubt that I would put it into anything other than a waste oil burner.

/ Old but unopened ATF #16  
Hey OP if your still worried i will pm u my address and you can send it to me!! :D I will gladly put it into my ranger and it leaks it out as i drive and helps keep the under side of my truck from rusting out. Ford ranger had a manual tranny that used dex/mecron fluid, which is what i have.

/ Old but unopened ATF #17  
ATF is basically 5w or 10w oil with some anti-foaming agents added, maybe another "magic" chemical or two for whatever purpose. Since this ATF is unopened it hasn't been exposed to air or any other contaminants and it's roughly 15 years old. Now then, how many vehicles do you think are out there older than 15 years that are running the same ATF they came out of the factory with ? I'd be willing to wager there are quite a few. My 1993 Nissan truck has the original power steering fluid (pretty much the same as ATF) and has 236,000 miles on it with no problems with the system, no leaks at all, even. I use my power steering as an example because my trans is a manual. There shouldn't be a thing wrong with that ATF - use it.

I have a 93 F150 with 152,000 miles with the original ATF in it.

/ Old but unopened ATF
Hey OP if your still worried i will pm u my address and you can send it to me!! :D I will gladly put it into my ranger and it leaks it out as i drive and helps keep the under side of my truck from rusting out. Ford ranger had a manual tranny that used dex/mecron fluid, which is what i have.

I'm not worried about it but it sounds like you might be.............what is this you're 3rd comment or something..........................:laughing:

/ Old but unopened ATF #19  
He i find something and stick with it. I wont quit posting till i have that ATF pried out of your hands! :laughing::laughing:

/ Old but unopened ATF #20  
I have a 93 F150 with 152,000 miles with the original ATF in it.

I once bought an old Delta 88 Oldsmobile that had been a one-owner by a priest, he kept a detailed log book of the service, he had done on the old car, it had 162000 miles on it. Noticed in the logbook, no mention of ATF changes, so I took it in to have the fluid changed, when the pan was dropped, in the black sludge and totally black oil was the little plastic plug they put in the dipstick hole, which normally is taken out with the first change, and cleaning of the pan.. well this was its first! Turbo hydra-matic 400 is pretty tough, but 162000 is a little far between changes if you ask me:laughing:
The old transmission still worked, but it was a "slushamatic", lots of "slippy,slippy" on gear changes.. "I wonder why?:confused::confused:
James K0UA