Old but unopened ATF

/ Old but unopened ATF #21  
...ATF is essentially a hydraulic oil...
FWIW...
I have a Williams (machine & tool co) in tank hydraulic pump that uses ATF rather than regular hydraulic fluid...

/ Old but unopened ATF #22  
I once bought an old Delta 88 Oldsmobile that had been a one-owner by a priest, he kept a detailed log book of the service, he had done on the old car, it had 162000 miles on it. Noticed in the logbook, no mention of ATF changes, so I took it in to have the fluid changed, when the pan was dropped, in the black sludge and totally black oil was the little plastic plug they put in the dipstick hole, which normally is taken out with the first change, and cleaning of the pan.. well this was its first! Turbo hydra-matic 400 is pretty tough, but 162000 is a little far between changes if you ask me:laughing:
The old transmission still worked, but it was a "slushamatic", lots of "slippy,slippy" on gear changes.. "I wonder why?:confused::confused:
James K0UA

Old blue shifts great. Dove her today. At about 75,000 miles I asked my mechanic who I have used for years to service the transmission. He told me that he would not recommend it that if I had serviced it as recommended it would be fine but that he had seen several Ford transmissions that had gone over 50,000 miles before the first service begin to give problems after servicing.

/ Old but unopened ATF #23  
Old blue shifts great. Dove her today. At about 75,000 miles I asked my mechanic who I have used for years to service the transmission. He told me that he would not recommend it that if I had serviced it as recommended it would be fine but that he had seen several Ford transmissions that had gone over 50,000 miles before the first service begin to give problems after servicing.

Have heard this a lot. A bunch of people say this about changing in a high mileage tranny, many online but i never have known one in person. Lots say its the sludge that holds it togeather, i guess the thick fluid helping fill the loose tollerances?

/ Old but unopened ATF #24  
Oil in an unopened container is not the same as milk.

It should be fine. Another use is to blend it off in your diesel fuel, about 1 quart max in a 5 gallon container.

I've found very old, unopened ATF at estate sales and bought them on the 3rd day for 1/4 the posted price (usually $1/quart down to 25 cents on the 3rd day) to make them less than the price of diesel. I've used them all either in the tractor fuel or in our 1983 Benz. Benz actually recommended the use of ATF in the fuel back in the 80s. In the refinery (at least before ULSD; don't know about now), any ATF distillate not needed for ATF refining was diverted to the diesel/heating oil pool.

Ralph

/ Old but unopened ATF #25  
Those commenting about ad pack coming out of solution: have you ever found this? Bet not. There isn't much additive in ATF. It's THE most highly refined dino oil, at least it was when I worked my 31 years in the lube oil industry as a chemical engineer. Being so highly refined, it doesn't need many additives.

Like I said, I've used plenty of old ATFs, even ones that had been sitting partly used (for power steering fluid in my vehicles; don't have any of those AT vehicles) mixed in diesel and ran in my JD 4010 and in our 1983 Benz. The Benz has been sold now. I can't do this in our 2010 VW TDI with it catalytic converter, etc. The 4010's fuel tank is still fair game.

Ralph

/ Old but unopened ATF #26  
Those commenting about ad pack coming out of solution: have you ever found this? Bet not. There isn't much additive in ATF. It's THE most highly refined dino oil, at least it was when I worked my 31 years in the lube oil industry as a chemical engineer. Being so highly refined, it doesn't need many additives.

Like I said, I've used plenty of old ATFs, even ones that had been sitting partly used (for power steering fluid in my vehicles; don't have any of those AT vehicles) mixed in diesel and ran in my JD 4010 and in our 1983 Benz. The Benz has been sold now. I can't do this in our 2010 VW TDI with it catalytic converter, etc. The 4010's fuel tank is still fair game.

Ralph

I work in the lube oil industry now - I have seen visible separation in some products; I will admit never in ATF - However, if the OEM will no longer stand behind the product from a warranty standpoint, why take the risk? Like you mentioned, I would probably blend into my diesel or run in waste oil burner. In the end, whatever the OP decides is up to him, but I wouldn't risk it in anything of mine. ATF is relatively cheap compared to replacement of my rides.

/ Old but unopened ATF
We were just going to use it in our Hi-Lo travel trailer if needed. It has a hydraulic system that raises the roof section and uses ATF as the hyd fluid. Thanks for the replys everyone................Jim

/ Old but unopened ATF #28  
Oil in an unopened container is not the same as milk.
It is indeed. Some of you are taking the comparison far too seriously. ATF goes bad if it sits in an unopened container, just like milk. It takes longer, but it happens. If you don't believe me pick your favorite lube manufacturer and email them about the shelf life of their ATF, they will probably tell you 5 years or so, give or take, and offer a long explanation why specific to their fluid and packaging. You make it sound as if all ATF is the same, there are many many different kinds and the additives are what make up most of the difference. Generally if you use the wrong ATF in the wrong trans you'll ruin it. Old ATF would be considered "wrong" by both the fluid manufacturer and the transmission manufacturer.

Of course the engineers working for the oil company probably don't know nearly as much about it as people on the internet do...

/ Old but unopened ATF #29  
I think of it this way. It took Mother Nature millions of years to make the oil, I doubt it would "go bad" within our life time.

/ Old but unopened ATF #30