Old UPS

/ Old UPS #1  

bigtiller

Tractor
JD 2720 & 3039R
Our uninterruptable power source [UPS] is worn out so we bought a new one.

So how do we dispose of the old one?

/ Old UPS #2  
I would think the store where you purchased the new one could recycle it. Or they could tell you where to take it.

/ Old UPS #3  
Many towns have an E-recycling center or drop-off. Some places, like Goodwill, Habitat for Humanity, etc., have appliance and electronic drop-off days.

If anything, take the batteries out and take them to a place like Batteries Plus.

Should be able to find something around your area.

/ Old UPS #4  
You said it was worn out, but I'll bet the batteries were bad, which can be replaced on every UPS I've ever seen. I have one that's about 20 years old, and on it's 3rd set of batteries.

/ Old UPS #5  
As MossRoad stated if you look up E-recycling centers in your area they will take them... also I believe Best Buy has a nation wide recycling center policy...

/ Old UPS #6  
Goodwill will take it. They have buyers set up for stuff like this to go into the recycling. When I was involved, I traced them to local Portland area recycles that had good reps and the batteries were locally processed back to new ones. But that was four years ago.

/ Old UPS #7  
Sell it or pass it on. The battery(ies) can be replaced.

/ Old UPS
I punched up E-recycling center and found that Best Buy recycles a bunch of stuff for free. So that's what I'll do.

Funny thing, the new one had instructions on how to slide the cover off and plug the battery into the unit. The battery even had 2 handles making it easy to lift it enough to access the connection.

The battery cover on the old one was screwed in place and warnings galore not to remove the cover, no serviceable parts, electrified even when unplugged, etc.

/ Old UPS #9  
I remember the first UPS I purchased in the early 90’s. It was to support an IBM mid-range computer at work. 7 KVA set to 220 volts. It held ten lawnmower size batteries that we replaced every 2-3 years and was larger than a two drawer filing cabinet. What a monster.

/ Old UPS #10  
I punched up E-recycling center and found that Best Buy recycles a bunch of stuff for free. So that's what I'll do.

Funny thing, the new one had instructions on how to slide the cover off and plug the battery into the unit. The battery even had 2 handles making it easy to lift it enough to access the connection.

The battery cover on the old one was screwed in place and warnings galore not to remove the cover, no serviceable parts, electrified even when unplugged, etc.
Ya, the earlier models where when the OEMs didn't want you replacing the batteries and you just tossed them. Now-a-days with stricter regulations they were pretty much forced to allow you to replace and recycle and label it as so. But you definately could and can replace the battery on the old one.