Old UPS

/ Old UPS #11  
Sell it or pass it on. The battery(ies) can be replaced.
They usually can...but...a new battery is often close to the cost of a new UPS, and cheap no-name batteries may or may not work well. Lesson learned hard way.
That having been said, I generally replace batteries when I can, old ones go to the scrap dealer.

/ Old UPS #12  
I put in a UPS at a govt facility last week. It was the exact replacement for a 10 year old system that was smoking batteries. APC Symmetra 16kw x 100 amp system with 3 supplemental battery arrays. Each supplimental unit holds 12 50 pound battries. The main unit holds 4 power supplies and 4 batteries. Whole thing needs a forklift to move. I have no idea how you recycle the old batteries. Ill let them worry about it. I didnt take pics of exact units, but these are the unit pics i found online. I bet its crazy expensive, and yet only gives about 4 hours of down time. Leave it to the govt.
D660732E-6A0B-497F-85EB-7BF2E66AD7E2.jpeg
9DD6D2AD-82D9-4AA1-832F-D1551B2CC2BB.jpeg

/ Old UPS #14  
Where I live I can order batteries from Battery Plus. $60-80 to replace batteries in a little $120-150 UPS. Even the single battery units can get a new battery. Old batteries go to the local scrap metal recycle location for cash in my pocket. Even the "big" APC unit that takes 80 12v8 batteries is just a long day of battery swapping. At least those have units that hot swap in and out when changing batteries inside the hot swap cartridges. If I really need to scrap one because it is eating and smoking batteries the batteries go out for lead recycling. Power cord comes out for copper recycling. The transformer pays ok for scrap and I pull out brass to recycle. Not much goes to the garbage pile. Or I could be lazy and take it to the e-cycle company in town.

/ Old UPS #15  
Yep - Best Buy. I just did the same thing with our old UPS, for free. We're talking home consumer size not commercial here, but it is still heavy...

/ Old UPS #16  
My UPS is a diesel powered 30 KW standby gen set with a vacuum transfer switch. Runs off my diesel bulk tank next to the farm shop.

/ Old UPS #17  
My UPS is a diesel powered 30 KW standby gen set with a vacuum transfer switch. Runs off my diesel bulk tank next to the farm shop.
Not really a UPS. A UPS would keep everything up for the time it took the generator to start up, stabilize and transfer. Probably not that big of a deal at a home or farm, but for a commercial site with servers, etc. it makes a big difference.

/ Old UPS #18  
I've been able to gift to friends units only needing batteries and also have good battery prices but policy is to change out after so many years.

Once had a runaway unit past warranty and company sent free replacement on condition they get the old one back for failure analysis...

Should be getting some sine wave UPS next year after swapping out ...

/ Old UPS
I've been able to gift to friends units only needing batteries and also have good battery prices but policy is to change out after so many years.

Once had a runaway unit past warranty and company sent free replacement on condition they get the old one back for failure analysis...

Should be getting some sine wave UPS next year after swapping out ...
I priced some of the new sine wave UPS's. They get pricey fast. Maybe that will change in a year or so, after the new wears off and the old stock is sold.

/ Old UPS #20  
I had 2 office ups’s go out last month. Well, when power failed they would power computer for about 5 seconds. I priced out new batteries, good ones not amazon chinese wonders, and purchased 2 new sine wave units instead. The old units were over 5 years old, and i just dont want to risk it. Ill probably replace batteries in one and use it out in my shop