Old UPS

/ Old UPS #21  
I am a dinosaur. But when we bought our IMAC 10 years ago I was surprised that the Apple store didn't have UPS's for sale. The salesperson kind of had a blank look when I asked about them. I guess I am one of the few that doesn't carry a laptop around the house.

And yes, I still have a flip phone. I don't see the need for a portable computer glued to my hand.

Doug in SW IA

/ Old UPS
If the power blinks in the evening when we are watching TV, the DirecTV system needs about 15 minutes to reboot. But with a UPS it never looses power during that blink, and it keeps on recording the program we will watch next. We still have to wait for the TV to come back on but that is only a few seconds.

/ Old UPS #23  
Had to put one in for mom because power blinks caused the VCR clock to flash…

Best battery purchase ever!

UPS was a cast off only needing new battery

/ Old UPS #24  
Had to put one in for mom because power blinks caused the VCR clock to flash…

Best battery purchase ever!

UPS was a cast off only needing new battery
What's a vcr?

/ Old UPS #25  
I explained many times over the years during power outages that UPS’s were in place to allow users to quickly save their work and then to orderly shutdown their PC‘s, terminals, or processes. ”But I just need 5 more minutes …..” Good luck with that.
My favorite thing to hear while sitting in a dark office was “Can we get back on the system now?, followed by “When’s the power coming back on?” then the inevitable “Can we go home?”

Found all manner of things plugged into the battery protected side of a UPS. Coffee pots, laser printers, space heaters. Even a hair curling iron once.

Last edited:
   / Old UPS #26  
At work with automatic standby generator still.requires battery backup UPS...

Even with average 6 second restore time would you want your eye surgeon in the dark for 6 seconds?

/ Old UPS #27  
At work with automatic standby generator still.requires battery backup UPS...

Even with average 6 second restore time would you want your eye surgeon in the dark for 6 seconds?
Is there an emoji for the willeez’s?

/ Old UPS #28  
I have my computer, desk light, cable modem and switches all on UPSs.

The idea of a UPS for the DirecTV receiver is a good idea. Never could figure out why it takes that thing 15 minutes to start up after the power goes out. Probably poor software and cheap hardware.

/ Old UPS #29  
Yep... computer, DSL, answering machine next to rotary dail phone...small LED desk lamp and phone charger cube...

It will go hours with power down.

/ Old UPS #30  
Many years ago I had the TV (tube type) and VCR on a UPS. Removed the small 12 volt battery and wired the UPS to a deep cycle marine battery.

It would run them for several hours.