OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #22  
36. Careful while raising loads in the FEL, going too high could result in contents of bucket landing on hood of tractor or worse yet, on the operator.

My neighbor warned me of this one long before I bought my tractor. Showed me the dent in his hood. So, I am wondering how many of you learned old school style and have this dent in your hood?

37) Always be mindful of your loader or attachments when turning especially around the house! I've got some trim to replace. :mad:

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #23  
38) When backdragging or backfilling with the FEL do not dump the bucket to engage the front blade while apply down pressure with the lift cylinders. Keep the bucket level. This can damage the rams or the entire bucket cylinders (I've seen severe cases - especially after they've something like a stump or rock). We recommend using the heel of the bucket, or very slight angle only.
39) Never work or enter the area under a raised loader.
40) Never sit, stand or ride in the bucket of your FEL.
41) Set your tires on their widest setting for the most stability when doing loader work. Use a ballast.
42) Respect hydraulic fluid under pressure. It is poisonous if it gets under your skin. You should seek medical attention. When checking for leaks, use a piece of cardboard or something similar, NOT YOUR HAND. Small pinhole leaks at high pressure can penetrate skin like a needle.
43) Always READ YOUR OPERATORS MANUAL and SAFETY PRECAUTIONS - it will educate you on procedures and applications that your common sense lacks. - Did I mention. Use a ballast.

Just a few that came to mind--- oh and the most important. Always have ROPS and use a SEAT BELT!

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #24  
My neighbor warned me of this one long before I bought my tractor. Showed me the dent in his hood. So, I am wondering how many of you learned old school style and have this dent in your hood?

37) Always be mindful of your loader or attachments when turning especially around the house! I've got some trim to replace. :mad:

I have a dent in mine. Had the buket full of logs and was loading onto a truck when one came rolling out the back and dented the hood. I guess it gives the tractor character even though I wish it didn't have the dent...

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #25  

I learned this with a bucket of soft snow dumped on my hood and head, was very glad it wasn't gravel!

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #26  
So, I am wondering how many of you learned old school style and have this dent in your hood?

My hood is plastic, the rock just bounced off...

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #27  
The tractor's draw bar is made for hard pulls, and the tractor won't flip over backwards using it. Front axles or front end loaders are NOT made for hard pulls. Pulling from the front may cause severe equipment damage....

Just to be sure newbies understand this, the drawbar referenced here is one solid piece of metal usually attached to the underside of the tractor. It is not attached to the 3 point hitch where I have often seen trailer balls. As tempting as it looks, a hard pull with that trailer ball can flip the tractor.

In my case, the backhoe prevents using a drawbar, so I do pull in reverse using the FEL. So far, no damage to anything, and if worse comes to worse, a FEL repair beats repairing my head.

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #29  
44) The bucket on the FEL is meant to carrry things that can be dumped (not your chainsaw and other tools) --AMAZING WHAT YOU CAN FORGET IN A COUPLE OF HUNDRED YARDS OF TRACTOR DRIVING!

/ OPERATIONAL TIPS FOR NEWBIES #30  
Never operate with kids or pets on the loose in the work area.

Good thread.