ordinance to ban tractors

/ ordinance to ban tractors #31  
Then there was the guy in the tiny Massachuestts town I grew up in who got so ticked off at the zoning board (his neghbors) who wouldn't let him do something with a very old (historic?)house that sat smack in the middle of town, that he put chicken wire over all of windows and chickens in all of the rooms. Eventually he had to take the chickens out...but not until the house was ankle deep in chicken exhaust...and it was a decade before someone else took on the job of cleaning up and refurbishing the building. These things can get out of hand.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #32  
SLOWREV,

There's a slight difference between zoning regs and Subdivision Restrictions. Subdivision restrictions are used with new subdivisions to protect a group of new buyers and their investments. Anybody unwilling to to accept these restrictions should not be buying land/condos/etc. in these developments. Zoning restrictions however are made to existing properties based on a master plan of the municipality and a vote of the majority /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. (well that's how it's supposed to work). The problem is there usually isn't enough voters to speak for the true majority. Also, many times rules get passed by boards at meetings but their true intent is left to an administrative group to discover. I've seen some pretty stupid sounding rules, but usually zoning rules are made for the benefit of the public's safety, land investment, etc. Zoning & Planning boards are usually made up of citizens and professionals from the community and usually aren't motivated to raised taxes for the locality. I guess I'll quit rambling now. BTW I'm not a gov't worker, but my profession forces me to work with many of them for bettor or worse.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #34  
TC18guy,
I understand the difference, but the neighborhood regs can change after the purchase of the property. Also the not parking on the lawn thing was a LAW, not a zoning reg. Apologies for any confusion I may have caused.
As to these laws/zoning/rules that effect the use of my property and are made by a select/elite few.... well I can't say what I think on here /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif
We do not own property in this country, we just rent it from the gummit. If you do not believe that just stop paying your property taxes on it and see how long you keep it.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #35  
Sorry slowrev, didn't mean to direct my comments to you only. I actually agree with you more than I think I sounded like I did. I think what stinks is when the minority speaks for the rest of us. It's also frustrating when we believe ourselves to be in a free country but we still have to follow idiotic rules. I get frustrated over something as simple as seat belt laws. I always wear my seatbelt and always have, but I don't like being told that I have to. Who am I hurting if I don't....ME!

Anyway, God bless the USA and the free world for the freedoms we do have. There is still alot here to appreciate.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #36  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( I always wear my seatbelt and always have, but I don't like being told that I have to. Who am I hurting if I don't....ME! )</font>

Well, they say there's always two sides to every story. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif I happen to feel the same way about seat belt laws and motorcycle helmet laws as you do; don't like them, even though I'm one of the few who has been regularly wearing seat belts since 1962, and a seat belt probably save my life on December 29, 1965.

So we agree that we don't like laws that only make us protect ourselves. However . . ., how much insurance, welfare, sick leave from the job, and other money is spent on medical bills and/or funeral expenses for those who would not have been in that shape if they'd been wearing the seat belt or a motorcycle helmet. I don't remember the numbers, but have known of some studies done on the topic and was very surprised at the huge cost, much of which is shared by all of us.

So while we don't like to be told what to do or not do, there may be some legitimate reasons for such laws.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #37  
Come on, guys, if anybody could do anything with their property they wanted to, there would be total chaos in this country.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #38  
Tc18guy,
No offense taken, I get a bit heated up about the erosion of our freedoms. Sorry if I have offended anyone. I have been to several other countries and prefer to live here... well New Zealand is close...

I feel that we should be able to anything we want with our property as long as it does not DIRECTLY hurt someone else.

When the seatbelt laws were passed I was very tempted to quit wearing mine. But I got over the frustration and anger and realized it was a cut of my nose to spite my face kind of thing.
Laws like this were written to save the insurance companies money. I still don't understand why no seatbelts are required on school busses, or for instance in Florida if you are hauling migrant workers. I guess their lives don't count to the gummit.
In KY child restraint seats are not required if it is in a pickup truck with 3 adults in the front seat ! well it is overloaded if it already has 3 adults in it. Oh well it is frustrating to try to find logic in gummit anyway. Everyone enjoy your remaining freedoms while they last.

/ ordinance to ban tractors #39  
Hello,

I am a trustee on my township board. I feel that zoning should never have been passed. Causes way too many problems and restrictions for people. Now some people try to take it farther and make local laws like what associations use.

The real problem is us. I never went to a township board meeting before I ran for trustee. Now that I am on the board we have VERY few people that come to the meetings. Only when they have a problem or request. One person has been attending regular to promote her own agenda much like your problems. She doesn't like semi trucks parked, weeds in yards, etc.

I think most problems that make people mad are at the local level. Go to your local meetings occasionally, introduce yourself and tell them what your interests are. The other people on my board are well meaning, but sometimes just don't understand.

It really is government by the people, you need to attend. I would like to repeal zoning, building codes and many more obtrusive laws but it will take a ground swell of local support around the country. May take a lifetime.

ksmmoto

/ ordinance to ban tractors #40  
<font color="blue"> Move to the country let the [censored] have the town. </font>

When I was growing up in New Haven, Prospect WAS the country
/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Lou