Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #11  
Most residents here in Oregon came from other states where they pump their own gas. There is no learning curve.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #12  
If you are so stupid you cant pump your own gas there is a real good chance you shouldn't be driving.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #13  
If you are so stupid you cant pump your own gas there is a real good chance you shouldn't be driving.

Just check youtube videos for examples of the stupidity.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #14  
Now how many of you recall when pumping gas was just that? You had to work a lever till the glass tank was full and then you drained out the tank into whatever you were putting the gas in. The amount you used was shown by calibration marks on the tank.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #15  
Now how many of you recall when pumping gas was just that? You had to work a lever till the glass tank was full and then you drained out the tank into whatever you were putting the gas in. The amount you used was shown by calibration marks on the tank.

Yep, I'm old enough to remember those, although by the time my Dad bought a station and I worked there, at the age of 16, we had pumps that were a little bit more modern, although they wouldn't be considered modern by today's standards.:laughing:

And I, too, have posted this in the past, but when we were in Oregon, I pulled up to a gas pump and got out of the truck, and no one came outside, so I started to pump my gas, and an obviously pretty severely retarded young man, then came running out and bawling me out for pumping my own gas. He was in his moment of glory getting to talk down to someone. But because of his obvious handicap, I didn't say a thing. So he pumped some gas, cut off the pump and went back inside, lacking more than 5 gallons getting it full..

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #16  
I live in Oregon, which sadly has become the biggest nanny state in the union. The fact that there are complainers regarding having to pump your own gas is no surprise.
All of us that live in rural areas have been asking for the ability to pump our own gas. When you live in the middle of nowhere and there is only one gas station in town, and it's closed, you are just out of luck. That really sucks! This new law is one that this state has passed that I agree with.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #17  
I worked in a gas station during ranch off season from age 14 until I left for USAF Basic Training in 67. While you filled car with gas, you checked oil and washed their windshield. Checked tire pressure if any looked low. Mostly locals but, occasionally cars off the Interstate too.

Shortly later many stations starting offering self serve for a small Discount, then attendants just disappeared by early 1970’s.

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #18  

I saw one work once when I was a kid. I think it was at a farm, or a Boy Scout camp, or lumber yard, or something like that. It was not a commercial pump at that time. But it was neat! :thumbsup:

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #19  

I certainly remember those days, but by the time I was big enough (notice I didn't say "Old" enough) to drive, they were on their way out. We had three stations in my home town; the one with the glass-tanked self-service pumps was owned by a much older gentleman...the CO-OP and the Texaco had the modern pumps and they filled the tank for you. Don't recall the difference in price though; in the 50's gas ranged from a low of about 18 cents per gallon to a high of 25 cents here; seems like we paid something like 22 cents most of the time...but you could buy a burger and a Coke for less than 50 cents. A hot date; gasoline, dinner and a movie in Enid was less than $5.00...but I digress.

When self service came into vogue, it was the ladies that had the most difficulty, at least at my house, but they learned pretty quickly how to work the pumps. Now I can't keep her at home...:D

/ Oregon Drivers Can Now Learn To Pump Their Own Gas #20  
26165578_384431258663466_5834450134337714083_n.jpg