other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500
I think a couple of updates on mine are going to be seat covers as these seem flimsy and I will use this as a work truck. Also I don't like the stock plastic bed liner. It doesn't extend over the sides of the bed. Going to take it out and get the rhino roll on liner. The weep holes on the driver side door were clogged as I heard water sloshing this morning. The seals look good so not sure how water got in but we did gets lots of rain. A zip tie cleaned out the holes. Otherwise I like the truck thus far.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #12  
The last Chevy I owned was a 2000 Silverado, so I'm not the most reliable witness for the later trucks. I will say the 2000 was hands down, the very worst truck I've ever owned. Drove Chevy for years before I had the 2000, the dealer spent more time fixing the darn thing than I did driving it. I've heard good things about the newer ones, just don't want to get back in the barrel yet.

Sean

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #13  
Had a 2003 Z71 that we spent almost $7000 on after going out of warranty to just keep it running. The truck was a lemon.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500
Anyone heard of something called the "Chevy clunk"? Apparently sometimes there will be a clunking sound between second and third gear and the "fix" is for the dealer to lubricant the spline or something like that. Its suppose to be normal and not a problem. I heard a noise turning left at a slow speed then accelerating. I've only heard it once but it makes me wonder if its an issue.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #15  
Never heard of it or heard it in 300K miles...(512K, if you include my old '98 :)) although I HAVE heard that when a CV shaft was going bad.

Although quick search turned up this result...A solution to the Chevy slip yoke clunk...

Note that this link is to a guy keeping a 1996 pickup going (and apparently doing a good job of it)...
I assume that you bought your truck so that you don't have to work on it doing things like custom installing grease fittings. ;) Were you able to transfer the 5 year/100K mile warrantee?

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #16  
I have a 2000 silverado 2500hd. It's mainly used for towing and hauling dirt gravel and coal. Just had to replace the bumper hitch and drive shaft due to road salt and brine. It's had some issues fuel pump alternator twice mass air flow sensor and wheel speed sensors.
All in all it's been a good truck and it hasn't had a pampered life.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #17  
I have to ditto bearcreek paul. I drive a 2000 1500 with the small v8. Has been a very good vehicle for me. I have just short of 250,000 miles and still going. At this point a lot of little things don't work so well, but starts and gets me where I want to go. About a year ago the truck came face to face with a deer. Insurance company totaled it. But I bought it back, fixed the front end and it's still going. Definitely got my money's worth on this one.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #18  
I have a 2000 silverado 1500. Bought it new and have had zero problems with it. I keep thinking about getting a new one but then ask myself, why?....the one got is just fine.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #19  
I have 2005 1/2 Ton 5.3 Regular cab.4x4, no clunk. I have owned since new only issues have been an emissions solenoid at the gas tank and an intermediate steering shaft (common GM problem), and one set of U-JOints at 68,000 miles. Also own a 2008 2500 Diesel it has been reliable. Previously owned a 99 Sierra and a 2500 Ton Suburban traded both in around a 100K miles without a lot of trouble.

/ other owners thoughts of the chevy silverado 1500 #20  
Have a 2011 Silverado that, because of my work, has to go over farmers fields and through creeks that only a tractor normally runs on. So far there has been nowhere that I haven't been able to take it (within reason). Gas mileage on trips about 20 mpg but when running around the farms it drops down to about 14. Has been a good solid truck up to this point. (Crew cab, 5.3 l. engine)