Out a Ways

/ Out a Ways #1  

JimBinMI

Veteran Member
Tractor
2015 Kubota BX25D-1, New Holland TZ18DA
One problem I have with rural living, and I realize I'm not as far out as others, is the 12 mile round trip to the grocery store. Also, we're a twenty mile round trip to the school. I grew up in town 3 blocks from the grocery and two blocks from school. However, I enjoy the wide open spaces and the peacefulness. In addition, I probably wouldn't need the TC18 in town! JimBinMI

/ Out a Ways #2  
Jim,
I had an 80 acre spread back in Alberta, Canada (with no near neighbors) ... and a 45 minute drive each way to work every day ... and I sure never begrudged the drive ... the privacy was worth it! Course, dodging moose at night wazsn't mucg fun ... but I never hit one in 8 years.
Here in Mid-Michigan, I managed to find a whole 8 acres (you guys have a whole different idea of land prices here ... I sold mine for $200 Cdn and acre and here is $2000-$4000 an acre ... for worse land!) ... but, hey, I'm only 7 miles from work, so now I have time for a 20-30 minutes workout at the health center before work every day ... live in the boonies, work in the city ... it don't get no better than this. And 20 minutes to the grocery store? My wife is ecstatic over (just) a 25 minute drive to major shopping.

too bad that common sense ain't

/ Out a Ways #3  
Having myself grown up as a city boy, it's hard sometimes to adjust to driving were one could walk. Also that corn pollen is a killer. But all that aside, won't trade back for the world. And I really believe my boys have a better environment than I had. (And yes, I couldn't give up the tractor).

/ Out a Ways #4  
Wingnut, Looks like we're "trading places". I just bought 8.8 acres and moved further out.I'll be going from a 35min drive to about an 1hr with traffic.From a 37 ml drive to 56and 8/10 of a ml.Fortunatley I drive a company vehicle and travel the state alot so I'm not always fithing trafic to beat the clock....cuase I don't have to go to the office daily.Now if could only convince the boss we need a company tractor (I'LL store it at my place)just incase we need one....

see....ya!

/ Out a Ways #5  
Rural living is the greatest. I live about 15 miles from a small town. Sitting on the front porch tonight watching the fish jump in the pond, waiting on the deer to come out of the woods to eat clover. I couldn't see living anywhere else. I've got a little boy coming due this July and I'm happy in the thoughts that he'll grow up in the same hills and hollers that I did. I purchased some extra acreage so we could have more room to play on the tractor when he gets old enough.

/ Out a Ways #6  
A 12 mile round trip to the grocery store? Ours is more than a 40 mile round trip. But it sure beats living in the big city, as we did for 30 years.

Bird

/ Out a Ways #7  
I have lived in this small town (1,000 souls) all 45 years of my life, but only live on 1.25 acres. I mostly use my tractor on the 24 acres we bought 18 months ago. Hopefully we will build soon. My drive to the office is 52 miles each way. My land is another 6 miles out, but virtually in the middle of nowhere. I can't wait.

I'm considering building a metal building for the tractor, implements, etc and putting living quarters in one end, with storage above the living area. We are thinking of then moving into this living area, selling our house, and then building our new house. After moving into the new house I would still have that extra living space for sort of a guest house type deal. Anybody done this?

/ Out a Ways #8  
I've got the best of both worlds. I have 5 ac. and can hunt right in the back yard and I am only 4 miles from town and 12 miles from my antique shop on 3 ac. in the next town. I use the Kubota at both places and for hauling the deer from the woods!

/ Out a Ways #9  
Well, I see your point but I too am 6 mi from the nearest small town (and 25 from Portland, Oregon)and it is heaven. I moved to a 20 acre filbert farm 18 months ago. I tell family and friends that I went from a 10,000 square foot lot to a 995,000 square foot lot!

The drive is worth it - I find it relaxing and quite pleasant as we don't have the hustle/bustle of the City. Now if I can only survive the lifestyle change. I love the filbert orchard farming and working the land, but I tell you I have never been so humbled as by this place. I work my bones hard for nothing more than the pure joy (and maybe pay the property taxes from the nuts!)...

It has made me realize just how spoiled we had gotten with surburban city life and to see the different value systems people develop. Never goin back

Randy

gonna_get_it_right_yet

/ Out a Ways #10  
I think Rural Living is the best. I live on the water, and have 8 acres to play on, also I'm building a new log home 2 lots over right on the water. I'm close to the stores. But one problem with Rural living in my area.
No cable modems.....
I'm sitting on a T1 now at the office, but I have to go home to 56K Internet.
JimF