Out a Ways

/ Out a Ways #21  
Well, yes - I bet so. Wow - I guess I don't watch the national weather too much; just check the local to see about my spring spraying program. I did not realize it was still snowing. I've went to Grand Rapids about two years
ago on business - had a great steak dinner downtown. I was quite impressed with the atmosphere there - I liked the historic architecture downtown. My local business hosts there were very nice people.

Oregon is nice - I am not a native, just a transplant from the Bay Area to the south. But I sure do like it hear. The rains are a bit trying during the winter but overall pretty mild and you learn to appreciate the fresh clean feeling of the sea mist.

gonna_get_it_right_yet

/ Out a Ways #22  
Go to www.getspeed.com. Type in your address and phone info, and they will report on all available broadband options for you. DSL is excellent, if you live within 12,000 feet of the CO (central office) switch. Otherwise, your cable TV company may have cable modem available. If neither one of these are in your area, you can look for wireless coming to market later this year. www.getspeed.com will show you the options.

BobT

A Indiana Boy

/ Out a Ways #23  
Hey Chris,
What a coincidence! When you said that you were from beautiful Floyd, Va., I about fell over. Well I am from beautiful Pulaski Co., in the Draper area. Small world!
Jesse Shelton

/ Out a Ways #24  
Hey Jessie: I moved from Floyd to the "suburbs" (Riner) about 4 years ago. Mostly because of the schools, but also because of my commute to Roanoke everyday. We plan to move back to Floyd County in the next 5-10 years, after my oldest graduates from high school and my youngest gets out of elementary school. Riner is nice, but it's growing up too fast (I guess I'm partly to blame for that, since I built a house in one of these new subdivisions).
Chris in Riner

/ Out a Ways #25  
BobT: Thanks. I'll check it out. I know I don't live within 12,000 ft. of a CO switch, and our rural neighborhood is not serviced by a cable company. I'll see what they tell me my options are.
Chris in SW Va

/ Out a Ways #26  
Yes PBurns aka Lil' Paul, thanks for the suggestion. I e-mailed their web site about 2+ months ago, twice, trying to find out if I could use my current ISP, since they are not working with all ISPs. They never bothered to respond to my e-mail. I subscribe to DirecTV since there is no cable out here, but would have to get the new dish for Direct PC.
That is one thing about trying to do business on the web, there are so many businesses with web sites that fail to respond to potential customers. I've sent e-mail to 3 pool supply business in the past 2 weeks trying to get parts for my above ground pool pump and haven't received a single responce. Granted it isn't a big dollar sale but I'd think they would realise some one doing business on the web, that receives good service, is a potential long term customer.

Wil

/ Out a Ways #27  
Amazing how viewpoints change from place to place. In the Rocky Mountain west where I live, its nothing at all to drive long distances to town (westerners use hours instead of miles to talk distance). In my own situation, I only live 5 miles from town (just a one horse burg), drive 50 miles each way to work, the nearest decent-sized town is 130 miles and the nearest city is 200 miles. It's nothing to see neighbors heading to the city on weekends to "hit to mall" or attend a baseball game.

/ Out a Ways #28  
Alan L, I'm using a metal building for a cabin and tractor storage and RV storage. I built a 30' by 64' metal building and finished out one end for a cabin and use the other end for book storage and future tractor storage (I'm just about ready to buy a Bota.). I'm going to try attaching a photo of my structure to show you what can be done with a metal building. If the photo doesn't attach, email me and I'll send it to you privately.

Wes Crawford

/ Out a Ways #29  
Now that I figured out how to attach a photo, here is another of my "Metal Building" for cabin use and tractor storage.

/ Out a Ways #30  
My wife and I just bought 63 acres near her parents 600 acres. We live in a city of 200,00, the state capital, and will commute 60 miles one-way. You can only imagine the reaction we get..." you are crazy"..."nuts to drive that far.." A minority who share similar outdoor interests have given their support. I work a lot, put in long hours, but this place is incredible. 15 acres tillable, balance in hardwoods mostly with about 5 acres of prarie, 3 natural year round springs, and a 1 1/2 acre pond. We don't close until June 1, and I can't wait! I have been a tractor board junkie trying to decide on a compact tractor. Thanks for all of the viewpoints, it re-assures me that driving a long distance to work is not insane!