Out a Ways

/ Out a Ways
Phazer,
I'm not out that far, in fact I supposed to be hooked up to AT&T Cable Internet next Weds. Looking forward to quicker useage. JimBinMI

/ Out a Ways #12  
Shoot you guys don't have it bad, the fastest connection I can get is 26400. US West phone lines and the distance to the nearest switching station prevent faster connections. Maybe if I'm lucky if this Quest purchase of US West goes through they will improve our service, but I doubt it.

Wil

/ Out a Ways #13  
Wil,have you ever heard of Direct PC ? I'm moving into an area were both the cable and the phone sevice is fair at best.So I'm cosidering this..It runs (last I checked) around $30 a month for unlimited service including ISP.The idea is downloads are via satalite and up load info goes over the phone.The cable tv service they offer though is a seperate fee...but on the same dish..The only thing is getting a phone # that is local to your area,but I here they are doing better in this area...The cable service by the way is the same as Direct tv but the dish is shaped a bit different.....As for a connection in the 20k range i get ill if connect below 49,9....So you can imagine how a slow land line will make me ill once I move......

Dont cha just love us picky folks.......

Lil' Paul

/ Out a Ways #14  
Yep, some of you guys are lucky, all right. I'm like Wil, the best I can ever do is 26,400 out here in the country with GTE, and from that through Southwestern Bell.

Bird

/ Out a Ways #15  
Well that is true here for me too. We are victims of a GTE monopoly in our area and between them and my less than realiable ISP we struggle to keep good connect speeds. Also, there is no cable here, so we have been with Dish Network since we moved here and have been very pleased with their service. But its worth it.

I had the day off today and spent the entire day working on the farm (of course with my trusty lab dog and Kubota at my side...) right up until dark when the sun set over the Oregon coast range and illuminated the evenning with nice pastels of oranges and blues.

Did any of you East Coast folks see the red sky aurora last night?

Randy

gonna_get_it_right_yet

/ Out a Ways
Rcobena,
Red sky aurora...you've got to be kidding, here in Michigan it is snowing and I just might have to use my blade for snow removal again this year. Battle Creek area expecting 2"-4" north of Grand Rapids 8"+, never been to Oregon before but Red Sky Aurora sounds pretty good from where I'm sitting. JimBinMI

/ Out a Ways #17  
As to your red sky, I was out finishing putting up a split rail fence last night as the sun was setting. It was a beautiful sight as it fell behind the mountain called Haycock Mountain. This time of the year it sets directly over the peak. It's a perfect postcard.

/ Out a Ways #18  
I know what you mean about the 995,000 s.f. lot. I went from a 6600 s.f. lot in a sub-division to 40 acres (1.8 million s.f.?!!?) in beautiful Floyd County, VA, in 1990. It really hit home with me how big my "lot" was when they gave me a copy of the survey. It was on an 11"x 17" sheet of paper, and the house showed up as a 1/4" square. I have since moved again to another subdivision, but this one is still rural, and has 2-5 acre lots. I found out this year when going through a refinance that, even though this is an obvious sub-division, all the lots are still zoned agricultural.
Chris in SW Va.

/ Out a Ways #19  
I'm with you, Wil. The best I can do here in SW Va. is in the mid 20K range. Anyone know anything about these residential DSL's?
Chris in SW Va.

/ Out a Ways #20  
Wind chill temps in the negatives expected here in the east tonight. Didn't know to look up last night. I think it was cloudy, though, with a big cold front moving in.
Chris in SW Va