Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #11  
Which site did you use and did you ever get a hard time from anyone? Thanks for any and all responses.

I used maintrailerregistrations.com 18008835181

I did call first and they answered all questions quickly and politely. I had a follow up when I was going through the choices and it was again handled promptly. When i first read about it on this site last year it dawned on me that about every semi trailer i see has Maine plates. Are they scofflaws? I don't think so. I only had one person comment and it was positive. I don't even think about it. It is legally registered in the state of Maine.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #12  
How many million vehicles are in Conn. and it's "killing them" that 900 are registered in Maine? If Conn. officials wanted to solve the problem, all they'd need to do is lower their registration fees to something reasonable. This would have the added benefit of freeing up LEOs to deal with real crime.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #13  
In Ohio the majority of the fee for registration goes to maintaining the roads and bridges. If you cheat the system ,don't complain about how poor your roads are

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #14  
Law in Maryland says residents have to register your car or truck in MD. Trailers can be registered out of state if you have one trailer for each tow vehicle registered in MD. So I have one truck (tow vehicle) and two trailers I can register one in ME. Lots of people around here do it. Doesn't seem to be against the law.

Last edited:
   / Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #15  
In Ohio the majority of the fee for registration goes to maintaining the roads and bridges. If you cheat the system ,don't complain about how poor your roads are

Paying 45.00 a year for a trailer the moves less than 1500 lbs is BS. Mine has seen the road 5 times in the past 3 years.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #16  

Do you really believe this? In most states lots of the revenue is siphoned off for other spending.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #17  
I'd be happy to pay double the registration fee if the money actually went to roads. Here it goes to buying votes, and usually for the side I don't agree with.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration

That appears to be correct:

Lawriter - ORC - 5501.05 Prohibiting use of highway funds for non-highway purposes.

Ohio Revised Code
5501.05 Prohibiting use of highway funds for non-highway purposes.
Moneys appropriated to the department of transportation and derived from fees, excises, or license taxes relating to the registration, operation, or use of vehicles on public highways, or to fuels used for propelling such vehicles, shall not be expended for any purpose other than as provided in Section 5a of Article XII, Ohio Constitution, and such moneys may be expended only for expenses directly chargeable to the purposes set forth in such section. The director of transportation may make rules facilitating, to the extent practical under the circumstances, the use of public transportation systems and aviation systems by the handicapped.

Effective Date: 03-17-1989

Article XII, Ohio Constitution - Ballotpedia

Text of Section 5a:
Use of Motor Vehicle License and Fuel Taxes Restricted

No moneys derived from fees, excises, or license taxes relating to registration, operation, or use of vehicles on public highways, or to fuels used for propelling such vehicles, shall be expended for other than costs of administering such laws, statutory refunds and adjustments provided therein, payment of highway obligations, costs for construction, reconstruction, maintenance and repair of public highways and bridges and other statutory highway purposes, expense of state enforcement of traffic laws, and expenditures authorized for hospitalization of indigent persons injured in motor vehicle accidents on the public highways.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #19  
That appears to be correct:

Article XII, Ohio Constitution - Ballotpedia

No moneys derived from fees, excises, or license taxes relating to registration, operation, or use of vehicles on public highways, or to fuels used for propelling such vehicles, shall be expended for other than costs of administering such laws, statutory refunds and adjustments provided therein, payment of highway obligations, costs for construction, reconstruction, maintenance and repair of public highways and bridges and other statutory highway purposes, expense of state enforcement of traffic laws, and expenditures authorized for hospitalization of indigent persons injured in motor vehicle accidents on the public highways.[/I]

Some big loop holes in this section to spend money outside of road repair.

http://www.policymattersohio.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Highways_2011920.pdf

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration
Some big loop holes in this section to spend money outside of road repair.

http://www.policymattersohio.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/10/Highways_2011920.pdf

Streetcar did say "the majority" of those funds. Obviously road and bridge repair is only one of many road-related costs. Ohio, like all states I will guess, spends more on road-related expenses than the various user registration fees and fuels taxes produce in revenue. As your link says, "Highways do not pay for themselves."

That makes the issue moot of exactly how that fee and tax revenue is spent, or shifting the shortfall from one category to another. That is basically an accounting exercise similar to not having enough money at the end of the month to pay all your bills.

Highways are expensive. the Maine Turnpike has over $4 million of debt for every one of its 109 miles. Think of that, in less than a minute you can drive over $4 million debt dollars. Personally, I think we need to find and implement cheaper solutions.