Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #22  
Highways are expensive. the Maine Turnpike has over $4 million of debt for every one of its 109 miles. Think of that, in less than a minute you can drive over $4 million debt dollars. Personally, I think we need to find and implement cheaper solutions.

I think you are citing older debt figures that had to do with the turnpike widening between NH and Portland. Not everyone was in favor of that project and the debt leftover should be about half that now.

It might also be worth noting the person who oversaw that turnpike widening project served about 3 years in jail For stealing money from the state...

Again, I am not in favor of Maine issuing registrations to non-residents. Move here or get out of our system. All of those computer systems that process and store registrations cost money and manpower. I know, I work in IT. The people behind the local companies that do this for out-of-staters are sleaze bags. Good day.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration
I think you are citing older debt figures that had to do with the turnpike widening between NH and Portland. Not everyone was in favor of that project and the debt leftover should be about half that now.

It might also be worth noting the person who oversaw that turnpike widening project served about 3 years in jail For stealing money from the state...

Again, I am not in favor of Maine issuing registrations to non-residents. Move here or get out of our system. All of those computer systems that process and store registrations cost money and manpower. I know, I work in IT. The people behind the local companies that do this for out-of-staters are sleaze bags. Good day.

$412 million debt outstanding is correct according to this March 2014 credit rating report.
http://www.maineturnpike.com/getatt...nvestor-Relations/14-0310-Moody-sMTA.pdf.aspx

The turnpike needed the widening completed to Portland. I know, I used to commute from Wells to Portland and S. Portland. In 1997 I stood on the Coles Hill Rd overpass in Wells and saw southbound traffic totally stopped or creeping for hours on July 4th weekend. That capacity brings a lot of tourists to Maine that aren't going to wait forever in traffic jams to give us their money.

The 4-lane section of the turnpike was way beyond its capacity for normal use let alone holidays. Every morning north bound traffic would be slowed by people trying to enter from Saco. Same thing southbound in the evening at the Biddeford exit, people were lined up in the breakdown lane waiting to get off. It also had blind dips in it that contributed to accidents.

If you can replace the tourism jobs and income, second home property taxes--that river of money flowing up I-95, and the $15 million in truck&trailer fleet registrations, you are entitled to an opinion. The additional number of IT system transactions generated by out-of-state registrations and the disk space to store them is not a large enough percentage of the total to claim it is driving IT costs beyond the revenue received. The state is making money on out-of-state registrations, that's why they continue to do it.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #24  
If you can replace the tourism jobs and income, second home property taxes--that river of money flowing up I-95, and the $15 million in truck&trailer fleet registrations, you are entitled to an opinion. The additional number of IT system transactions generated by out-of-state registrations and the disk space to store them is not a large enough percentage of the total to claim it is driving IT costs beyond the revenue received. The state is making money on out-of-state registrations, that's why they continue to do it.
I would be surprised if ME was losing money to register out of state trailers that never drive on their roads...

Aaron Z

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #25  
I would be surprised if ME was losing money to register out of state trailers that never drive on their roads...

Aaron Z

And I think it's contracted out. The contractor makes a buck and then gives the state a cut. I don't see ME losing money either. Personally, I wish our state were a little more business friendly and proactive. If out of state residents wanted to spend money here to register things, the more the merrier. I certainly wouldn't call anyone who's adding money to state coffers a sleazebag.

Last edited:
   / Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #26  
And I think it's contracted out. The contractor makes a buck and then gives the state a cut. I don't ME losing money either. Personally, I wish our state were a little more business friendly and proactive. If out of state residents wanted to spend money here to register things, the more the merrier. I certainly wouldn't call anyone who's adding money to state coffers a sleazebag.
I agree, as I said before, something isn't right when I can register a car that drives 10k miles/year and never weighs less than 4200# for 2 years at a lower price than a 3000# trailer (that might see 1000 miles/year) for 1 year.

Aaron Z

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #27  
Thinking that Maine loses money by processing registrations originating out-of-state regardless if done by State or private contract is simply absurd. Vehicle registrations are a revenue stream, and a significant one at that. The more centralized and automated, the more profit. The Mainers complaining here are misinformed.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #28  
And I think it's contracted out. The contractor makes a buck and then gives the state a cut. I don't ME losing money either. Personally, I wish our state were a little more business friendly and proactive. If out of state residents wanted to spend money here to register things, the more the merrier. I certainly wouldn't call anyone who's adding money to state coffers a sleazebag.

I agree, as I said before, something isn't right when I can register a car that drives 10k miles/year and never weighs less than 4200# for 2 years at a lower price than a 3000# trailer (that might see 1000 miles/year) for 1 year.

Aaron Z

How do you guys think it feels to have an ADDITIONAL amount tacked onto all motor vehicle registrations that goes directly to the Metropolitan (NYC) Transit Authority? It sucks, in case you didn't know. Dutchess, Orange an all counties to the south all get to kick in.

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #29  
How do you guys think it feels to have an ADDITIONAL amount tacked onto all motor vehicle registrations that goes directly to the Metropolitan (NYC) Transit Authority? It sucks, in case you didn't know. Dutchess, Orange an all counties to the south all get to kick in.
Ick...

Aaron Z

/ Out of state Maine vehicle and trailer registration #30  

I'm well north of there but was not aware of that. Is it because those counties are all served by MTA? Are they trying to encourage ridership and discourage driving yourself? Either way, it sucks.